Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Just ordered an Opus

So I've ordered an Opus as a back up for my misbehaving Gen3. When it arrives, I assume it will have ePub firmware. Can I load the Opus mobi firmware from Bookeen's site? Are there any problems that I should be aware of?

Are there major differences in the way the Opus works as opposed to the Gen3?

Anything else I should know?

--Jan.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, the Opus will be shipped with the ePub Firmware but there's absolutely no problem installing the mobi firmware from Bookeen's site.
The two devices and their software are more or less the same. The main difference are the buttons. The back- and the menu-button moved from the left to the front side and that's definitely an improvement. The +/- button on the right side to in- or decrease font size are gone. And on the Opus you can turn pages aditionally with two new buttons on the right.
When you love your Gen3 you will love the Opus, too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
You might be interested in my free ebook on the Opus (see signature), which also briefly covers firmware upgrade.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Thanks Amaroso, I've downloaded your book. I'm looking forward to getting my Opus.

--Jan.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
JanG. You will love the Opus. great Reader. Actually I rate it better than my Sony 350 overall. Form factor is the best of all the 5 inch readers and love being able to read 360 degrees.....Also the epub rendering is the best of any device that I have yet to use.... well the 6 that I have owned or sold up to this point enjoy the Opus
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
You might be interested in my free ebook on the Opus (see signature), which also briefly covers firmware upgrade.
Cheers..downloaded the book. Will give it a read...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
JanG
Groupie

Received my Opus (black) on Sunday, charged it overnight, changed the software yesterday. I LOVE IT!! I did try using it in ePub but really didn't like the format. The only thing that's better in ePub on the Opus than in Mobi is that you get a battery indicator while reading and not just in the library, plus the page numbers instead of the progress bar that we get in Mobi.

The screen is clearer than on the Gen3. The smaller screen doesn't bother me at all.

--Jan.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The only thing that's better in ePub on the Opus than in Mobi is that you get a battery indicator while reading and not just in the library,
Mmmmm.
What ??? You have a battery indicator when reading ePubs ??
There is none for me mush to my annoyance.
Can you go into the menu, into advance / about and tell me the booreader version ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmmmm.
What ??? You have a battery indicator when reading ePubs ??
There is none for me mush to my annoyance.
Can you go into the menu, into advance / about and tell me the booreader version ?
I've already switched to mobi, sorry. If I switch back to ePub I'd get what they've got on the website.

But I definitely had a battery meter and page numbers while reading a book in ePub.

--Jan.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Ah damm.

If you had a battery meter, then you probably had a later version of the software than I do.
Looks like bookeen went using a later version on the opus the sell, than the one available on their website. Again !

I've been wanting the battery meter while reading feature for a while. Hopefully that means it's coming.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #11
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Ah damm.

If you had a battery meter, then you probably had a later version of the software than I do.
Looks like bookeen went using a later version on the opus the sell, than the one available on their website. Again !

I've been wanting the battery meter while reading feature for a while. Hopefully that means it's coming.
It's really the only thing that's missing from Bookeen's devices. I can manage with a progress bar instead of page numbers, but a battery meter while reading a book would be very useful indeed.

--Jan.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
It's really the only thing that's missing from Bookeen's devices.
Oh, not the only thing.

I'd like to have a clock too, and user stylesheets, and hyphenation, kerning, smallcaps, and bookmarks...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Oh, not the only thing.

I'd like to have a clock too, and user stylesheets, and hyphenation, kerning, smallcaps, and bookmarks...
Oooh yeah a CLOCK! That I'd really love to have.

--Jan.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What feature(s) prompted you to buy an Opus?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What feature(s) prompted you to buy an Opus?
1. It was a Bookeen product (I was so very happy with my Gen3)
2. It was cheaper than a Gen3.
3. It will read either ePub of Mobi.
4. Tesco's in the UK was selling it for under 100 pounds sterling.
5. My parents were coming to visit me from the UK and they brought it with them, therefore I didn't have to shipping or import duty.

--Jan.