Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
paulinmelbourne
paulinmelbourne is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo
Kobo setup freezes does not get past step 2

Hi everyone,

got my kobo yesterday in Australia.

Downloaded set up software and once the kobo is connected it goes to step 2 of 3 and then thinks for a second or two and the screen goes blank. I've watched the videos and I can see that it is supposed to bring me to a screen where I can set up an account. But all i get is a blank page. The kobo say's its connected and charged. and when i click close from the blank screen a message pops up that asks if i'm sure i want to quit and recommends that i set up my kobo.

I've tried:
1 uninstalling and reinstalling the setup software
2 restarting my computer
3 tried installing the setup software on my wife's computer but it wouldn't even install so i gave up there
4 waiting in case the blank white screen did something (20 minutes)
5 installed ADE software
6 updated my internet exploerer
7 turned off my ad blocker, anti virus and fire wall.

I haven't found my particular issue on any of the forums, although i've found lots of other problems which is discouraging as i was really excited about getting my kobo.

Any help would be appreciated, I tried kobo help and they provided no help, but at the bottom of the email, i notice they had marked my query solved, which i'm sure makes someones life easier, although not mine.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul
paulinmelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
Try to do a reset on the Kobo Touch. On the back of the Touch, there is a small hole near the bottom, grab a pin or open up a paper clip and do a reset there.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
paulinmelbourne

thanks i had tried that as well but i tried it again, same thing, i also updated my flash yesterday. i assume it's a software issue or something in my computer settings that isn't allowing the information on the screen to load.

i've been escalated to tier two support but so far haven't heard from them.

any other ideas or anyone else had the same issue?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you've been having difficulty. I'd like to try and diagnose the issue. Would you be able to download Microsoft DebugView and have it open at the same time when you see the problem? You can download DebugView here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896647

When you have it open at the same time as the Kobo Desktop application, it will collect information about what the Kobo desktop app is doing.

1. Turn on Kobo Desktop
2. Turn on DebugView
3. Try and set up your device
4. When you encounter the error, copy and paste what you see in DebugView into an email and send to shasan at kobo dot com. (me)

We'll take a look and see what's wrong.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
paulinmelbourne

Thanks Shasan,

I'll throw up what debug view said here as well in case anyone else wants to have a go diagnosing whats up.

[2228] ApplicationBase::switchTranslator::loading locale: ":/translations/trans_en_US"
[2228] Object::connect: No such slot DeviceManager::startUsbUpgradeWizard()
[2228] Opened the device's database. Ref count = 1
[2228] Removed the device's database
[2228] Object::connect: No such signal DesktopSyncManager::downloadBookDone(Volume)
[2228] Object::connect: No such signal DesktopSyncManager::recommendationsTabParsed(const QString &, const QString &)
[2228] Could not parse stylesheet of widget 0x2a90140
[2228] Could not parse stylesheet of widget 0x3886ff0
[2228] Could not parse stylesheet of widget 0x388fd38
[2228] ------- [SyncClient] ------ SyncClient::start (Thread: 0x8a4 )
[2228] ------- [SyncClient] ------ SyncClient::verifyDeviceDone
[2228] Object::connect: No such signal AffiliateManager::webRequestError(QNetworkReply::N etworkError)
[2228] WebStoreNetworkManager: SSL ERROR: "The certificate has expired"

thanks

Paul
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
paulinmelbourne

Problem solved, obviously had to be something simple, i had accidentally changed the date in my calendar to april, it was messing up the security certificates.

i shouldn't have kept ignoring the lastfm messages telling me there was something wrong with the date on my computer...3 frustrating days later my kobo works.l

thanks for the help

Paul