Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
cmyer
Edge User

K-9 versus Froyo Email

After upgrading to Ermine, I see that I have Froyo email. Has anyone tried both this and the K9 email and have a comment?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Setting up the Corporate Gmail account through the calendar adds an account to Froyo mail but also syncs your calendar and contacts. That is about the only benefit. The K9 mail account could be used for a second account if you like.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
cmyer
Edge User

Thanks. Will probably go with the Froyo mail then. I'll post my thoughts when complete.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
twichy
Edge User

I've tried each of them for about half-a-day. I've ended up using froyo because I wanted my gmail calendar to sync with my PE.

With K9 I could only get one email account to work at a time (multiple accounts may be possible -- I just couldn't get it to work in the time I spent.) It shows the subject line of new messages in the notification bar at the top of the home screen -- a nice touch. It uses color as it displays queued messages.

Froyo manages multiple accounts and creates a combined inbox. It uses lovely shades of gray to distinguish email sources -- no, I lie: It uses low-intensity colors to distinguish sources and shades of gray to distinguish read from unread messages. You will know when a new message has arrived by the appearance of an envelope icon in the notification bar: no subject line is provided, but then your notification area doesn't get cluttered with dozens of message subject lines (if you don't keep up with your incoming mail).

It's probably a personal-preference thing -- unless you want to sync with google calendar, in which case froyo is for you.