Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
mister_ed
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmScape View Post
My husband says I'm trying to make the machine do things it isn't intended to do....
This may or may not be relevant depending on the personalities involved. Anyone who says something like that to me gets a blank look and, "So what's your point?"

I'm pretty sure that humans weren't intended to go to the moon. And yet we did.
But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

-- JFK (at Rice University) 1962
I choose to root every Android device that I have not because the companies that sell them make it easy. They do not. I choose to install the Kindle app on my Nook Color not because Barnes & Noble sent an invitation. They did not.

I choose to do these things, and others, because of the challenges. The companies that sell the devices challenge my rights in ownership. The devices themselves challenge humans for superiority. I accept those challenges, and I intend to win.

Besides, haven't you ever ... persuaded ... your husband do something he didn't intend to do? Well then.

-- Ed

Old 05-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
violajack
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_ed View Post
[So much awesome stuff]
-- Ed
That was beautiful. This is my new reason anytime I try to make a computer do something just to see if I can.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #18
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
This may or may not be relevant depending on the personalities involved. Anyone who says something like that to me gets a blank look and, "So what's your point?"

I'm pretty sure that humans weren't intended to go to the moon. And yet we did.
-- Ed
Hey, so you found who made humans and which were his plans about 'em?! Post link please!!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Hey, so you found who made humans and which were his plans about 'em?! Post link please!!
From a scientific standpoint, the moon has a serious lack of gravity(compared to earth) and oxygen(among other things) that the body wasn't meant to handle, it could very easily be argued that we weren't meant to go to the moon because our bodies are not made for that kind of environment, no matter if someone made us or not.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
Michealj
Edge User

And for more on the moon, here is an interesting site.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 05-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #21
mister_ed
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that humans weren't intended to go to the moon.
I wrote that I'm pretty sure ... if I meet the Creator in person, à la Moses and the burning bush, I'll be more certain!

Still ... you want a link or two?
Distance traveled from Earth 1.25 m
Distance remaining to Moon 356,400 km at its closest

Launch velocity 5 m/s
Escape velocity 11 km/s from Earth's surface
We "still have a ways to go"!
-- Ed

Last edited by mister_ed; 05-16-2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: clarification of my state of incomplete assuredness

Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #22
Warp3
Edge User

Calibre does convert RTFs to ePUB (I did just that the other day), but I will warn you if you are trying to convert RTFs with any unicode (i.e. non-Latin-based alphabet) text in them. Several of my RTFs contain Korean text and those came through completely garbled in ePUB (regardless of which options I used in Calibre). So for those files, I finally just gave up on ePUB and converted them to PDF (with Acrobat which I have on my work computer). Then when I open them on the PocketEdge, I just turn on Reflow PDF so the text is actually readable.

Honestly, though, RTF is such a common text format that I was kind of surprised to see that the PocketEdge didn't already support that format out of the box (even the included Docs to Go app doesn't open RTF files).

Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
EmScape
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningT1g3R View Post
Now then, are you still disappointed?
I am decidedly NO LONGER disappointed.
Also, I love that whole thing about the moon, that's awesome!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmScape View Post
I am decidedly NO LONGER disappointed.
Also, I love that whole thing about the moon, that's awesome!
Glad to hear it's going so much better for you now, EmScape!
Maybe you should rename the thread.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
EmScape
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow View Post
Maybe you should rename the thread.
Seriously? Can I do that? If so, how?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
Glow
Edge User

Oh, no worries, to some extent I was kidding.
I know you can edit your posts, but not 100% positive about the name of a thread that you started. Anyone know?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #27
Filark
Edge User

I tried it once and couldn't figure it out, so maybe not. Either that, or I just didn't do it right (always possible! ).

You can change the title on your post, but as far as I could tell not the title of the thread that shows in the forum. Would be handy, sometimes . . . The one I tried to change was me being clever, but giving no clue what was in the thread -- not a good idea, lol!

EmScape, I think this thread is perfectly named, and anyone who reads it will see the good results!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #28
tsemple
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp3 View Post
.. So for those files, I finally just gave up on ePUB and converted them to PDF (with Acrobat which I have on my work computer). Then when I open them on the PocketEdge, I just turn on Reflow PDF so the text is actually readable.
Just a suggestion: you would not need to use reflow if you lay out the .rtf for a page size more or less equal to PE's screen. Leverage WYSIWYG in other words.

Calibre is finicky about the encoding for input, I think it expects UTF-8. Also I believe the Reader's default fonts only support Latin-based scripts, so for Korean (or Russian, etc.) you need to swtich to Droid or maybe Droid Fallback.

Last edited by tsemple; 05-20-2011 at 01:23 PM.