Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #31
jsfiller
Edge User

I was assuming he meant physical books, in which case you have to scan them into a computer and covert them to a PDF file. I don't know of any reason someone would want to convert an ebook to a PDF, but perhaps I'm just not thinking clearly enough. I guess if it's a proprietary format like Kindle, you might want to convert to PDF.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #32
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Sacrilege!!
I don't know what it means, but I think I have to agree

Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #33
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfiller View Post
... I don't know of any reason someone would want to convert an ebook to a PDF,...
There are some books I prefer to have in pdf to preserve my annotations and notes without them being held hostage to an ereader.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidren View Post
There are some books I prefer to have in pdf to preserve my annotations and notes without them being held hostage to an ereader.
ok fair enough.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #35
Tom
Edge User

I'm having trouble with a Barnes and Noble ebook on my Edge.

borisb says:
Quote:
Enter the first and last name on the credit card used to purchase the book for the user name, and your credit card number for the password.
cheyennedonna says:
Quote:
my password is my real name (the name my B&N account uses for purchasing) and my credit card number
then later when borisb asks "Please review and ensure I've restated your instructions correctly", cheyennedonna says "Yep", but they're not the same.

So let's say my credit card has "Joseph Smith" on it, my B&N account is "joe smith", and my CC number is 1234567890123456.

Which of these should I use:
username: Joseph Smith
password: 1234567890123456

username: JosephSmith

username: joe smith

username: joesmith

username: ??????
password: joesmith1234567890123456

Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #36
borisb
Edge User

According to http://www.entourageedge.com/support...barticleid=169, you would enter:

username: joe smith (your B&N account name)
password: 1234567890123456 (your credit card number)

Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #37
Tom
Edge User

That worked.
THANKS !

Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #38
vannax
Edge User

I'm in the market for one of these, probably wait for full Honeycomb support. What I need to know, does the eInk eBook reader support native pdf, txt, html and epub?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
borisb
Edge User

The eInk eBook reader only supports PDF and EPUB.

Text and HTML can be viewed on the LCD side, or you can convert them to PDF/EPUB on a desktop computer (or a PDF conversion website).

Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #40
vannax
Edge User

Well, I'll still wait for the Honeycomb equipped Entourage to come out, at that point, I hope Google will allow full access to the android marketplace, and that someone will make an app to convert txt and html for me, or the eInk side will work for these file formats. As soon as Honeycomb is implemented, I'm in the club.
Thanks borisb.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #41
mcurty
Edge User

Thanks so much for the info on B&N Nook Books. I just tried it with a couple of my B&N books and it works!! I did have to go to my B&N account to find out how my name is listed with them first. This is great because now I can read in eInk during the daylight hours and with the LCD at night without a separate light.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #42
tsemple
Edge User

I was hoping there was a way for Reader to open and fulfill an .acsm file, whatever its source, directly (by using a wireless connection). Most independent ebook storefronts on the web that are integrated with Adobe Content Server have you download an .acsm file, which you're to open using ADE on Windows or OS X. Technically there's no reason why an eDGe owner should have to ever have to use the ADE desktop application, as any app that licenses Adobe's client-side RMSDK, and which has an internet connection, could do it. But from what I'm reading in this thread, that's not possible with Reader.

It's nice that there's a workaround for opening B&N books, but it doesn't seem to be available for other reading apps, such as Kobo/Borders or Overdrive Media Console (Kobo 'explodes' each ePub into a folder structure, while OMC has .ePub files in its storage area, but Reader will not open them. Neither Nook or Kobo can be induced to open/fulfill an .acsm. OMC will, but again, I'm not able to use the .ePub it has downloaded in Reader for some reason, even though both are authorized to the same Adobe ID.

The situation is actually very similar on iOS, except that there are no 'back doors' like we have with the Android Nook app where apps can get access to each other's storage. And there is one application, Bluefire, that can open .acsm directly for ePub/PDF fulfillment, and setting my expectations for all reading apps on mobile platforms that license Adobe RMSDK.

I'm hopeful that when the Android version of Bluefire Reader appears (it seems they are getting close to release), that it can serve as a proxy for opening .acsm files, and that Reader can open ePub files in its storage area, and that it will run on Ermine (unlike, apparently, the latest version of Aldiko, which is also an Adobe RMSDK client). But we'll have to wait a little to see.

Probably the reason Kobo/Nook etc. apps don't open .acsm files is that it is not part of their purchase workflow, and I actually don't see evidence that they use Adobe RMSDK in their apps, though clearly they do on their ereader devices.

My main application for this, of course is for reading library ebooks from Overdrive. OMC lets me do it on the LCD screen but it would be nice to have the option to read on the eink screen as well, again, without having to do the .acsm fulfillment on another device.

Last edited by tsemple; 05-19-2011 at 04:34 AM.