Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
ProHobo
ProHobo began at the beginning.

Device: BlackJack
Android & tech-hacking?

I pre-ordered a Nook.

My bet is on Android, I am thinking (a big guess and bet on my part) that with all the SDK for Android and the tech-hackers that someone will bust that OS wide open and start tinkering.

I would not be surprised to see some apps start to pop up (wi-fi usage, basic apps, mp3 hacks, even a web-browser?)

No doubt the Nook looks to be a nice gadget and combined with a pseudo-open source OS it could turn into a little more than what it is.

Sure it handles PDFs probably as well as any other eReader.
It handles EPUB, etc.

The question for me is - does Android turn it into something special?

It's a bet and I don't know if it will pay off - but I made the bet.
ProHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I sure hope so - I'm planning on getting one in December - after any and all fallout of the early adopters hits the fan
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am thinking that pretty soon they will have a program that will strip DRM and convert books right on the reader itself.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
ProHobo
ProHobo began at the beginning.

Device: BlackJack
With Android SDK out - we only need someone to point us through the front door of the Nook and the rest should be easy.

Start Here:

Android SDK
ProHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I am thinking that pretty soon they will have a program that will strip DRM and convert books right on the reader itself.
Since the Kindle is also Linux based I would assume there wouldn't be much work needed to port Jesse Vincent's Savory for the Kindle to the Nook.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It would be nice if we can hack it to display Thai ebook.

Is it technicallly possible?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote