Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
SSH access broken

I had SSH access working with my March OI installation on both my desktop and my laptop machines running Windows XP. It still works quite nicely on my destop machine but on my laptop I did something stupid. I ejected the USB device instead of just pulling the cable when I was finished accessing my BeBook ereader. Since then I have found that plugging the ereader into my laptop results in a flashing red LED on the ereader and the necessity of resetting with a paperclip. On the laptop I get various messges about the network device having an error, the need to install the device driver etc.

I believe that I have successfully uninstalled the device driver and apparently have successfully reinstalled it according to my Windows OS but I still get the crashing of OI.

Can anyone point me to what Windows driver starts to run when I first plug in the ebook reader? I would like to verify that I have been able to uninstall the thing so that I can start the installation over again. I suspect that I might have some residue of my original installation left over from when I was trying to recover.

Since I have all of my ebooks on an SD card I can always manipulate my library with a regular card reader so this problem is really just an annoyance. However, I feel that I should correct the problem on my laptop just to eliminate a potential calamity sometime down the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice. OI is definitely staying on my BeBook.

Yecam
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Flashing red LED means 'kernel panic', so your laptop really says something impolite through USB to device

There's ticket open for improving our kernel to dump crashlog in such cases - you might want to subscribe to it in order to test newer kernel when it's available: http://openinkpot.org/ticket/381
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
yecam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Flashing red LED means 'kernel panic', so your laptop really says something impolite through USB to device

There's ticket open for improving our kernel to dump crashlog in such cases - you might want to subscribe to it in order to test newer kernel when it's available: http://openinkpot.org/ticket/381

Yes, this open ticket describes exactly my situation. I have opened a subscription and will certainly make the attempt to capture a crashlog when a modified kernel becomes available.

The only clue that I can offer is the fact that the problem occured immediately after I attempted to safely eject the connected BeBook with the Windows tool. I am wondering if Windows now sees the BeBook as a permanently ejected item. With the DriverView utility I do not see any evidence of the USB connection driver in memory, but then again I am not quite sure what it would be named.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by yecam View Post
With the DriverView utility I do not see any evidence of the USB connection driver in memory, but then again I am not quite sure what it would be named.
I don't know if this will help your situation or not, but if you read the text of the linux.inf file that you used you can see the names of the *.sys files that are used. With XP, those files should already exist on your PC.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
yecam
Enthusiast

Thanks. The files in question are usb8023.sys and rndismp.sys. Both of them exist on my system and both of them show up in memory when I plug in my BeBook. In the Windows event viewer I see the following error message
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "BCMWLTRY Windows application" I'll add this as a note in the open ticket if I am allowed in there.
Advert