Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
uk user but can buy in the usa

thanks thanks to this forum and its members i now know a lot more about ebook readers than i did a few short weeks ago including the pros and cons of different makes, conversion tools,drm and where to buy ebooks and how to get around various restrictions placed upon the uk ebook buyer

now im going to buy the sony 505 shortly but have a chance to get it from the states (my daughter is there at university) it looks like a 25% saving and maybe a blue or red one into the bargain

is there any cons to buying from the states like charging the thing, i think it can be charged by usb, also registration and buying books are there any dificulties there. im not to worried about warrenties just ease of use and the buying process for ebooks (if i ever have to buy any) i have seen around 200 free books which i would like to read which at my rate of reading is 5 years worth by which time something new will be out

i know there are plenty of uk owners so some help would be very welcome
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
now im going to buy the sony 505 shortly but have a chance to get it from the states (my daughter is there at university) it looks like a 25% saving and maybe a blue or red one into the bargain
Don't forget that US quoted prices don't include sales tax.
I recently bought a reader from SonyStyle in the US, and the actual price was about GBP 173, vs 199 from Waterstones.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
The Main Difference is going to be the Warrant support if something goes wrong.

I don't think you will get any help from Sony UK if there is a problem with the Reader, Which is not that big a downside, especially if you daughter is still in the states for a while. you could always send it to her for any warranty support.

I THINK you'll be able to buy books from the new UK store for it, but I'me not sure so someone else will have to confirm.

As for charging, the best and easiest way is to buy a PSP charger and use that to charge up the reader. It does it much easer and faster then using USB.

And for Free Public domain books, check out the Ebook section on this site. There are a ton of well crafted ebooks available, many probably better proofread and formatted then the Sony versions.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

was thinking more of us ebay or this deal posted by james in another thread which seems to indicate that prices will fall in the usa soon
http://shop3.frys.com/product/543260...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Pretty sure the Sony charger is rated at 50-60 cycles and 110-220. In any event, you can certainly use the USB charger.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
I have the US Sony AC Adaptor and it is 100-240V input 50/60hz. Will therefore work fine in the UK (or indeed anywhere in the world), you just need a plug adaptor.

Having said that the PSP adaptor also works great as others have mentioned. You could also buy a Reader adaptor separately from SonyStyle UK if you import just the Reader itself.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi,

Interesting this one. Whilst ordering mine from Waterstones this morning I was told there had been a delay due to alterations they had to do for the UK version.

Now that may just have been BS but if true, I wonder what may have been changed.

Some of you old hands at this might have a better idea.

Personally I would not give it too much credence, but thought I was duty bound to report it.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I figure that any alterations that had to be done were probably Firmware updates to the latest version, perhaps a updated software CD that points to the UK online store.

Or if you want to be cynical, an update without which you can't buy from the UK store, to cut off the Import market from the US. Sony does have reputation
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
was thinking more of us ebay or this deal posted by james in another thread which seems to indicate that prices will fall in the usa soon
http://shop3.frys.com/product/543260...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
If you import the Reader via ebay then you will almost certainly have to pay VAT on top of the stated price, plus the £8 fee that Parcelforce charge for collecting the VAT.

This may well makes the Waterstone's price more attractive; plus you would then have the warranty.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
dogsballs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If you import the Reader via ebay then you will almost certainly have to pay VAT on top of the stated price, plus the £8 fee that Parcelforce charge for collecting the VAT.

This may well makes the Waterstone's price more attractive; plus you would then have the warranty.
was thinking more of my daughter getting it while in the usa
Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
But presumably she would then have to get it to you.

If she flys it over then she might get away with it. But if it's posted there will almost certainly be a charge.

Oh and be warned if she sends it by fedex they will charge you several weeks after delivery.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fedex post is handled by Parcelforce in the UK. They won't let you have packages until you've paid any taxes and their fee.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Fedex post is handled by Parcelforce in the UK. They won't let you have packages until you've paid any taxes and their fee.
Are you sure you're not getting confused with UPS, Patricia? They do end up with ParcelForce in the UK. FedEx have their own UK distribution network - there's a FedEx depot just up the road from me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
Patricia
Reader

You may well be right about that, Harry.
Sorry, everyone.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not at all. Same situation either way - you end up with a hefty bill to pay. The only difference is, as you say, that ParcelForce charge you before they'll give you the package, whereas FedEx (and DHL) send you a bill a couple of weeks later.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote