Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
E-Books in ePub format actually being sold (BooksOnBoard)

I've just noticed that at BooksOnBoard, some eBooks are being sold in Adobe ePub format.

Example: Link

Quote:
Now - for the first time - in Adobe ePub Format. Requires Adobe Digital Editions. Automatically adjusts the page content to fit your preferred text size. Works on Windows and Mac computers. Not yet available for Palm OS, e-ink readers or other mobile solutions.
Update: Official press release is out.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 06-28-2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: added press release link
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've just noticed that at BooksOnBoard, some eBooks are being sold in Adobe ePub format.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...1397&v=details
ePub is not an Adobe format. It is an industry standard that Adobe happens to support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
ePub is not an Adobe format. It is an industry standard that Adobe happens to support.

Dale
Correct, the DRM or some extensions to the ePub format might be from Adobe, but ePub itself is an industry standard.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Correct, the DRM or some extensions to the ePub format might be from Adobe, but ePub itself is an industry standard.
Since all the other books that BooksOnBoard sell are DRMed, I had assumed that Adobe ePub indicated ePub files with Adobe DRM. They do mention that it is only compatible with Digital Editions.

This is what a lot of people were concerned about when ePub came out with no DRM standard -- standard contents in the file don't help much if the DRM scheme(s) still splinter the market.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yeah, one DRM scheme would be better than several. No DRM is preferable but so long as DRM-free ePub is an option I can live with a DRM scheme existing beside it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Well, it's a format Adobe is pushing hard to make a standard, but I wouldn't call it an industry standard till a lot more of the industry actually adopts it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Well, it's a format Adobe is pushing hard to make a standard, but I wouldn't call it an industry standard till a lot more of the industry actually adopts it.
______
Dennis
Well, if you think a standard is only the one that dominates then it is certainly not a standard. But if you think a standard is one that has be adopted by a standards committee then it is a standard. Check the wiki for details. ePub is an open format defined by the Open eBook Forum of the International Digital Publishing Forum (<idpf>). It is based on XHTML and XML along with optional style sheets. Its predecessor was the OEB standard. Specifications are found at the idpf web site.

Dale
Old 06-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, if you think a standard is only the one that dominates then it is certainly not a standard. But if you think a standard is one that has be adopted by a standards committee then it is a standard. Check the wiki for details. ePub is an open format defined by the Open eBook Forum of the International Digital Publishing Forum (<idpf>). It is based on XHTML and XML along with optional style sheets. Its predecessor was the OEB standard. Specifications are found at the idpf web site.
I think any standard, whether officially blessed by an industry standards body or not, is meaningless until widely adopted.

Who actually issues books in ePub format now? What can be used to read them?

It may well become widely adopted, and become a standard in practice as well as in theory. It would be nice if something was adopted as a standard by everybody producing ebooks and gear to read them. But until that happens, whether a book is available in ePub format isn't a factor in my decisions.

(The biggest boost to ePub I can think of at the moment would be Adobe choosing to support the format on the Kindle. I don't see that happening near term.)
______
Dennis
Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Amazon ignores ePub, I think this will be a bad idea for Amazon. The 505 should have ePub sometime with the next firmware upgrade.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think any standard, whether officially blessed by an industry standards body or not, is meaningless until widely adopted.

Who actually issues books in ePub format now? What can be used to read them?

It may well become widely adopted, and become a standard in practice as well as in theory. It would be nice if something was adopted as a standard by everybody producing ebooks and gear to read them. But until that happens, whether a book is available in ePub format isn't a factor in my decisions.

(The biggest boost to ePub I can think of at the moment would be Adobe choosing to support the format on the Kindle. I don't see that happening near term.)
______
Dennis
It is a chicken and egg thing. one has to come first and I think the standard should come first with people using it as approved rather than waiting until something dominates because there happens to be nothing better at the moment and you are stuck with something only one company decided was best for whatever reason. YMMV

Dale
Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
It is a chicken and egg thing. one has to come first and I think the standard should come first with people using it as approved rather than waiting until something dominates because there happens to be nothing better at the moment and you are stuck with something only one company decided was best for whatever reason. YMMV
Agreed, and the ePub eggs might hatch into a flock of chickens. If it becomes widely adopted, fine by me. It seems to have all the pieces required to support creation of good ebooks.

But right now, my basic question is "Is the book I want available as an ebook, and if it is, is it available in a widely supported format I can read on whatever I happen to have handy?" I want to download content once, and read it on whatever I have at hand, so anything that restricts what I can use to read it loses.

Right now, I like MobiPocket format, simply because I can read it on what I have. When there are ePub readers for a broad range of devices, and ePub format books to read on them, that will change.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 06-20-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
______
Dennis
Agreed. Sort of like OpenID. It's not "open" until I can log into every web site/service I visit using it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

By the way there are two purposes for the standard. One is for eBooks (end user) and the other is for publishing. The original publishing standard OEB is still in use by eBookwise, Mobipocket, and LIT. The new standard can also be used this way as evidenced by the fact that Mobipocket Reader on the PC can already import ePUB files and convert them to their proprietary format. By the way, Adobe is not the only one that can read books written in this standard although they currently seem to have the best support. Read the wiki for more details.

Dale
Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Amazon ignores ePub, I think this will be a bad idea for Amazon. The 505 should have ePub sometime with the next firmware upgrade.
I don't think it(f/w upgrade) will happen. Maybe next generation will support it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I don't think it(f/w upgrade) will happen. Maybe next generation will support it.
I hope it's a long time before I buy another ebook, but if the above is true, it won't be a Sony
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote