Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #121
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
It seems that new update updated time for synchronizing content, made font on home page tiles slightly bolder. The smallest distance between lines of text is still preset at 1.3 and the bottom space is still there.
The thing with the bottom space is that it is not consistently the same size, it keeps jumping from about 2 lines to about 4, it seems there is a setting not to put the paragraph at the end of a page, unless all of it fits.
Update does not tell you that it is updating its database either, it just feels that it is frozen at reboot, but it is actually going through the motions.
I understand that people were talking about wasted space on Kobo page ad nauseum, but why not let readers pick their preference, some of us like bigger margins, some don't, some want information on the book displayed, some don't, I, for one, would like to have control of my reading space.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #122
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you sure you were using kepub and not epub? With 2.5.0 and 2.5.1, kepub gave me the top and bottom menu bars. Even using images alone on the page, I seem to remember that I still got the top and bottom menu bars when I zoomed the image. At least with epub while I couldn't zoom the image, the bottom menu bar was the one that took up space.

Regards,
David
With 2.5 I used this css code for my Kepubs to get full screen with my comic images:

Code:
body {
height:100%;
width:100%;
  padding: 0;
  margin: 0;
}

img { 
  z-index: -999;
  min-height: 100%;
  min-width: 100%;
  width: 100%;
  height: auto;
  position: fixed;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;
}
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #123
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
On thing though: I can no longer find how to switch the bottom bar between clear and solid. Has that feature been removed or am I just blind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Also did anyone else notice that there was no controls for a solid light banner to clear light banner?
That option does not exist on the Aura (unless you factory reset and stay on 2.4.1) and with the update to the Glo interface, it no longer exists on the Glo.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #124
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
As usual, if you know that some old bug is fixed or you experience new bugs, you can report them in the Bug Thread

@MDK, can you add the link to the bug thread in the first post?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 06-08-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #125
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
The thing with the bottom space is that it is not consistently the same size, it keeps jumping from about 2 lines to about 4, it seems there is a setting not to put the paragraph at the end of a page, unless all of it fits.
Update does not tell you that it is updating its database either, it just feels that it is frozen at reboot, but it is actually going through the motions.
I understand that people were talking about wasted space on Kobo page ad nauseum, but why not let readers pick their preference, some of us like bigger margins, some don't, some want information on the book displayed, some don't, I, for one, would like to have control of my reading space.
The number of blank lines at the bottom of the page can be reduced by adding

Code:
widows:  0;
orphans: 0;
to the stylesheet for the ebook. Either Sigil or Calibre can do this. Without this setting, the Adobe ARM renderer will use a default of 2 (unless you get a version that been set for 3) for both those values. Without these settings, a paragraph that would leave 1 or 2 lines at the bottom of a page (orphans) would be moved to the next page leaving blank lines and a paragraph that would leave 1 or 2 lines at the start of the next page (widows) will have enough lines moved to the next page to leave 3 or more at the top of the page, again leaving blank lines at the bottom of the previous page.

See the following links for a bit more information:

MobileRead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133042

Orphans: http://xhtml.com/en/css/reference/orphans/

Widows: http://xhtml.com/en/css/reference/widows/

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-08-2013 at 03:56 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #126
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
I can't seem to be able to update my Kobo Glo to 2.6.1.

I synchronize and it says: Loading content, updating awards, etc but the firmware stays at 2.5.2

How did you, guys, updated the frmware?

Many thanks!

Last edited by paulfiera; 06-08-2013 at 05:37 AM.
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #127
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Removing the search bar and having it pop up with the settings menu or from an icon on the top bar would give more screen area for tiles -- especially good for the Glo.
This - the search bar looks intrusive across the top of the page

Quote:
Quite often I refer back to a finished book when reading a series so a + for me to have them remain on the home screen. Long press and dismiss will get rid of them or simply opening more books.

I like this idea too
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #128
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I think there is still space that didn't exist in 2.5.1

I'm pretty sure the book I'm looking at was formatted in a way that would have the text go right to the top and now it doesn't....but it doesn't use as much space as the menu bar does, so some of it has been returned to text.
[Kobo Touch]
You're correct. The header text isn't displayed now but the header bar (margin) is still there. Kobo didn't change the actual viewport.
Leaving all - possible - other unnoticeable improvements aside, this is no improvement to fw 2.5.2. . No improvement when reading.

2.5.1. no header
2.5.2. header with text
2.6.1: header without any text (blank header)

Should be
2.x.x. no header, small (adjustable?) top margin (like fw 2.5.1.)

Last edited by Anak; 06-08-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #129
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
I can't seem to be able to update my Kobo Glo to 2.6.1.

I synchronize and it says: Loading content, updating awards, etc but the firmware stays at 2.5.2

How did you, guys, updated the frmware?

Many thanks!
When new firmware is released it is sent out on a rolling basis . . so a few people get it first and then it spreads out to everyone. Obviously the new 2.6.1 hasn't reached your area yet - so your reader stays on 2.5.2.

If you wait a few more days it will be with you . . or you can sideload the new firmware if you feel confident by going here and following the instructions Please note though, manually updating is not officially supported by Kobo.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Last edited by Willa; 06-08-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: coffee brain!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #130
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
[Kobo Touch]
You're correct. The header text isn't displayed now but the header bar (margin) is still there. Kobo didn't change the actual viewport.
Leaving all - possible - other unnoticeable improvements aside, this is no improvement to fw 2.5.2. . No improvement when reading.

2.5.1. no header
2.5.2. header with text
2.6.1: header without any text (blank header)

Should be
2.x.x. no header, small (adjustable?) top margin (like fw 2.5.1.)
2.6.1: header without any text and a ~0.5 topmargin.

I usually use a 0.2 topmargin for my books, the one kobo added is a bit bigger.
Not really to my taste so I will stick with the 2.5.1 reader, but it is not really bad.

If you want the new homescreen on the glo, it is worth upgrading imo.
Not worth upgrading for Aura users imo.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #131
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
This - the search bar looks intrusive across the top of the page
And it isn't actually a search bar. It is a button. Pressing it opens another window to do the actual search. I have always thought it should be an icon next to the home icon, but putting it at the bottom of the home screen as a fourth option would be good as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #132
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And it isn't actually a search bar. It is a button. Pressing it opens another window to do the actual search. I have always thought it should be an icon next to the home icon, but putting it at the bottom of the home screen as a fourth option would be good as well.
Oooh - so it is just a big, long button? Interesting . . . *twirls moustache*

Would prefer a smaller more discreet, button then
Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #133
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
When new firmware is released it is sent out on a rolling basis . . so a few people get it first and then it spreads out to everyone. Obviously the new 2.6.1 hasn't reached your area yet - so your reader stays on 2.5.2.

If you wait a few more days it will be with you . . or you can sideload the new firmware if you feel confident by going here and following the instructions

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
Many thanks, Willa !
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #134
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
Many thanks, Willa !
You are welcome . ..
Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #135
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
- initially didn't like the sleep mode full screen bookcover when sleeping after seeing a screenshot of it. Having experienced it for myself I still don't like it however what I don't like is that it is so big. What I think would improve it is to keep the width of the box the about same, move % read to appear either after Sleeping or just below it and reduce the height of the box, see spoiler for what I am thinking here:
I wonder if the width of the box isn't made to fit every language. For instance "sleeping" (8 characters) becomes "mode veille" (11 characters) in French and "スリープモード" (7 characters because the "⋅" is not displayed) in Japanese. It could be one-size-fits-all, couldn't it?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote