Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
How can I change margins?

Hi, I found out that there are some ebook that can't allow me to modify margins, I can change the font but not margins that are set to 0. Can I fix it in some way?
zavidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes you can but for that you must tinker with the .css file and change the value in the line that deals with margins. Unfortunately I hear that you cannot get to the .css if your e-book is DRM protected so you'll have to get that out of the way first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavidos View Post
Hi, I found out that there are some ebook that can't allow me to modify margins, I can change the font but not margins that are set to 0. Can I fix it in some way?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

The ebook is not DRM protected, I usually use calibre for conversion, maybe with it I can do something?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I suppose you could but I have never used Calibre therefore I cannot help you with it, sorry

Quote:
The ebook is not DRM protected, I usually use calibre for conversion, maybe with it I can do something?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
In Calibre go to Preferences then in the "Conversions" section click on "Common Options".
In the "Common Options" window make sure you are on the "Look and Feel" section and then, at the bottom, click on the "Filter Style Information" tab.
In that tab check the check-boxes according to what you want removed (Margins is one of them).
Then convert from EPUB to EPUB and this should work OK.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm doing lots of this at the moment. Relevant settings are in the Calibre preferences under Conversion > Common Options, then both Look And Feel and Page Setup. Details are in the Calibre documentation.

You can fix other annoyances this way too, such as blank lines between paragraphs or text that can't be resized.

Alternatively, if you're comfortable editing CSS stylesheets, you can accomplish the same things with Calibre's Tweak Book function and a text editor. But conversion (the Convert Books command) lets you process lots of files at once.

_____
O/T DRM rant: It's true that DRM'd files can't be modified in this way without circumventing the DRM. This is just one instance of how DRM makes life suck for paying customers. I'm trying to tweak the CSS on a pile of purchased epubs, and it probably would've been easier to download pirated files than edit the epubs we paid for.
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
zavidos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
In Calibre go to Preferences then in the "Conversions" section click on "Common Options".
In the "Common Options" window make sure you are on the "Look and Feel" section and then, at the bottom, click on the "Filter Style Information" tab.
In that tab check the check-boxes according to what you want removed (Margins is one of them).
Then convert from EPUB to EPUB and this should work OK.
It works, thank you very much to both