Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm a newbie to ebooks, having just gotten my Sony 505 for Christmas. I know about Kovid's converter but what enhancements has Igor provided (and where do you find them and learn about them)?
Igor has been working on opening up the 505 firmware. Unfortunately, in the progress, he bricked his device.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #32
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
Can anyone tell me whether the improved adobe capability for the 505 will allow us to finally buy PDF books that have DRM and actually be able to read them on the 505? Otherwise, I still can't view a drm pdf format book (which are offered by the local library) and it becomes a nice, unusable feature. I still only view RTF, LRF and BBeB formats.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think there's been any word about DRMed PDFs with this feature.

I think our best hope on that is probably DE support. I don't know what it will bring, but rumor has it that it will support some sort of DRM. Salt to taste.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 AM   #34
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Basically, igorsk figured out how to replace the firmware, and the rudiments of what to replace it with. That started a flurry of hacking for various purposes (adding a clock display, for example. You can find the gritty details here and here, if you're interested.
I also did initial work on reversing the LRF format and PRS-500 USB protocol.
P.S. I was able to unbrick my 505 so maybe I'll release updated Universal Flasher once I made it more robust...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #35
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
P.S. I was able to unbrick my 505 so maybe I'll release updated Universal Flasher once I made it more robust...
Pleeeease!!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #36
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
P.S. I was able to unbrick my 505
Glad to hear that - would be interested & intrigued to hear about how you managed it!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How did you manage to unbrick your 505?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #38
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I looked at the other threads and admit to being impressed (and here I thought only my wife could impress me ). I hope this doesn't make me appear any more novice than I am, but when you do release an updated version, I, for one, would appreciate step-by-step instructions on how to implement the update. Tech-savvy I'm not, so I kinda like having my hand held in these things .

And before I forget: Because you all obviously appreciate things of beauty, as evidenced by the enthusiasm shown for these hacks, I invite you to view beauty in works of art painted by my artist wife and on display at www.carolynedlund.com. The landscapes are scenes of the Mid-Hudson Valley in New York (the corridor along the Hudson River between New York City and Albany, NY).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I should also say that it was igor's ebook.py script for connecting to the PRS500 that got me started writing libprs500.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #40
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
"Alphabetically grouped book listings" and "complete off option" are already there. Although it's nice to hear they're adding the delete feature.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the listing of what could be available. Maybe the completely off function won't be nested so deep in the menus? Who knows?
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #41
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Wow! I'm really curious as to how you accomplished that.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #42
scotteggshell
scotteggshell began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER 505
Overseas Availibility of Firmware flash

Good news on the firmware upgrade. I have a lot of manuals in PDF and it would be handy to keep them on my 505(and be able to read them without a magnifying glass). for field use .

I was wondering if the PC software will work for the upgrade if I am not in the USA ? Or is there likely to be a download package ?

Anyone have any idea ?

Thanx
Scott
scotteggshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Previous firmware upgrades have been done from the Connect software running on the PC. When you plug in the Sony, a message pops up and say "A firmware upgrade is available - would you like to install it?" That's how it was on the 500, anyway; I'd imagine it'll be done the same way on the 505.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #44
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteggshell View Post
Good news on the firmware upgrade. I have a lot of manuals in PDF and it would be handy to keep them on my 505(and be able to read them without a magnifying glass). for field use .

I was wondering if the PC software will work for the upgrade if I am not in the USA ? Or is there likely to be a download package ?

Anyone have any idea ?

Thanx
Scott
I own a PRS-500, live in France and had no problem at all, updating the firmware.
It's exactly like HarryT said.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #45
haoc
haoc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Dear igorsk,

Can you share the method? pleeeeease!!!

Thank you very much!
haoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader