Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
karenbryant
Enthusiast
karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
How to reduce size of opf file???

Hi,
I'm trying to upload some eBooks to Apple's iBookstore, but I keep receiving rejections due to two my eBooks having opf files with a size over 300k. (one opf is 310k and the other 415k) These are very large books, but they validate fine and are accepted by B&N.

I'm using Atlantis to create the ePubs from my Word files. Can anyone tell me how to get the opf files below 300k so they'll be accepted by Apple?

Thanks!
Karen
karenbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbryant View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to upload some eBooks to Apple's iBookstore, but I keep receiving rejections due to two my eBooks having opf files with a size over 300k. (one opf is 310k and the other 415k) These are very large books, but they validate fine and are accepted by B&N.

I'm using Atlantis to create the ePubs from my Word files. Can anyone tell me how to get the opf files below 300k so they'll be accepted by Apple?

Thanks!
Karen
The only way we can tell if the OPFs can be reduced in size is to post the OPFs here.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Those are big opf-files. For a text file to be 310k or more, that is a lot of text. The only way I can explain it, if you have a lot (and I mean a lot) of files in your ePUB with long names. Also you could take a look at your metadata.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Use short filenames, and short (or no) directory names. Remove unneeded metadata. Use ASCII characters instead of Unicode where possible. Open the OPF in a text editor and remove all unneeded spaces (spaces at the beginning of a line, for example).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
karenbryant
Enthusiast
karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OPF

Hi,
Here's the opf.

I can't see any spaces or file names to get rid of. Anyone know how I can get this down below 300k? I need the file accepted by Apple, so I'm worried I'll cut some thing that will make them reject it again. Why do they insist on this 300k rule?
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (303.6 KB, 342 views)
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
karenbryant
Enthusiast

Hi, I've upped the OPF. Thanks for looking.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I don't know why Apple has that restriction. I don't understand most things Apple do. It is not about size, since nowadays they want your covers to be large.

Anyway, there is not much you can do directly to minimize the opf-file. But, there are a lot of files. You could try to merge several html files to minimize the number of files. That has no impact (no real) on the filesize, but has impact on the opf file size.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Indeed, the OPF is pretty minimalistic already. You can shrink it a bit though, by replacing "id with "a and "img with "b. And, if you can rename files, you could replace .html with .h and move all images to the root directory (thus removing the "images/" part in the file names. These changes make it smaller than 300kB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I think that you can omit the file extensions at all, as I have not been able to find a place in the specs where it says that file extensions are required.

A quick trial EPUB with stripped file extensions passed both FlightCrew and EpubCheck, and it is displayed correctly.

This should save you some more bytes.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Indeed, the OPF is pretty minimalistic already. You can shrink it a bit though, by replacing "id with "a and "img with "b. And, if you can rename files, you could replace .html with .h and move all images to the root directory (thus removing the "images/" part in the file names. These changes make it smaller than 300kB.
One other thing that can be done to reduce the size of the OPF is to remove the guide. It's not needed in ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbryant View Post
(one opf is 310k and the other 415k)
I tried Jellby's approach of cutting down the id-strings (a bit modified by me ) and moving images to the main directory. The result is 297.968 Bytes.

I guess you can toss out the line-breaks as well, which will be another 8k. Removing file-extensions will be some 15k. (I would not do that).

I've still no idea how to squeeze out 115 k from your second *opf without reducing the number of entries.
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (291.0 KB, 434 views)
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
karenbryant
Enthusiast

Thanks to you all for taking the time to help. Using your excellent advice I've managed to shave it down to 285kb - very slim indeed! As for the other eBook, I've had to make cuts to get it accepted. Once again thanks all - greatly appreciated.
Karen
x
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is it necessary to have so many files? You could combine the files to have fewer entries in the OPF. This would help with your other OPF that's 415K in size.

If you need pagination, you could accomplish that with page-breaks, like this:

<br clear="all" style="page-break-before:always"/>

Or put something in your CSS:

.break {
page-break-before: always;
}

Then use <div class="break"></div> where needed.

Last edited by Jeff L; 07-06-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Is it necessary to have so many files?
Yea, wow. almost 3000 separate html files. I've never seen an epub with more than 100, and that was a really big book.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Yea, wow. almost 3000 separate html files. I've never seen an epub with more than 100, and that was a really big book.
I agree. You may like to note, Karen, that it's customary (though not obligatory) to have one XHTML file for each chapter. It's hard to visualise any book with nearly 3,000 chapters, or to visualise the ToC that such a book would have.

Would it not be possible to group your XHTML files? I really think that would be more sensible than messing around with the structure of the content.opf file. I wonder what the toc.ncx file looks like.

Could we have a look at one of your XHTML files? I have done ebooks with fewer paragraphs than you have XHTML files.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote