Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
... I was plugging the USB cable into the Nook and the little micro connector end bounced lightly off the screen and left a little hole in the corner. It's still completely usable, but not pristine anymore. ...
How does the little hole look like with the light on?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #32
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
The little hole is only noticeable when the Glowlight is on, and the light shines through brighter in that spot. Since it's in a corner it usually doesn't cover up any text, but if it had touched anywhere else...
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Well, even as obsessively careful with my eReaders as I am, I managed to put a hole in the Glowlight screen just now. I was plugging the USB cable into the Nook and the little micro connector end bounced lightly off the screen and left a little hole in the corner. It's still completely usable, but not pristine anymore. I'll try to get B&N to replace it this week, and I'm going to look for another way to load the microSD card from now on. It's really a shame, because this is the first Nook that I've actually liked. I hope the Amazon version is considerably sturdier if/when it's released.
That's pretty concerning.

I just got my glow Nook for father's day. I was a bit worried about the screen durability (might have held out upgrading, myself).
Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hmm. The glow model was firmly in my sights but this does give me pause. I travel enough that the extra weight of a lighted cover for my Sony is noticeable, especially while hand-holding it for hours on long flights.

No, I don't intentionally drop stuff on my e-readers. But my screen needs to withstand, say, some keys dropping on it without showing the sort of damage that blogger claims. I frequently read while I eat. It is certainly possible (maybe probable for me, lol) that I'll accidentally slide some silverware across, on drop onto, the screen. I don't even use a microfiber cloth to clean it 100% of the time. Sometimes a napkin makes do.

I don't think this is "inevitable" for front-lit screens. A scratch resistant coating should be the top layer.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #35
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I tried to exchange my "hole-y" Glowlight at my local B&N; they said no, and suggested that I try calling Customer Service instead. I haven't decided if I want to go through the aggravation of paying for a second Nook, shipping the defective one back and waiting for a refund on it. As long as I never let anything harder than a Stay Puft marshmallow near it when the screen is uncovered I should be able to avoid new holes in spots that would actually effect readability.
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'd keep hassling them for a new one. That kind of fragility on the screen covering is unacceptable.

Hopefully all units aren't this fragile. I'd be surprised if they made it out of R&D like that..
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #37
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
I am shocked as well it made it out of R and D with the screen being so fragile. I am so thank full I just stayed with the simple touch.

I hope the new version if and when it comes out, fixes the issue. Until then, it is what it is, will just have to read with a light. Or read it on my computer.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #38
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Screen is so fragile? Has anyone applied a screen protector ? If so, how is the light reflection becoming?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #39
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Quote:
Has anyone applied a screen protector ?
I remember reading somewhere that B&N said not to install an extra screen protector because it will damage the light diffuser layer. Of course, right now I can't find where I read that.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #40
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I would love a Nook because of the turning-page bottons (I don't like Kindle Touch's absence) and Glowlight. By the other way, I've dropped my Kindles (Keyboard before and now Touch) a considerable number of times. The even got a crack on the bottom left side and scratches in the bezel, but the screen never got affected.

Maybe some Nook owners got the same experience, but what is said is only a suicide remote control in free fall. I don't know if my head would resist (and I would hate TVs even more).
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #41
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I had missed the opening of my pack and dropped my ST (not the glow model) about 4 feet. Even though it was in a cover, it caused a slight crack in the screen. There was a small but permanent mark on the e-ink, in the middle of the text area. I called B&N support since it was within a year and they issued an RMA and I returned it at my local store for a refurbed replacement.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #42
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
For what it's worth, I purchased the Glow in the first week or so after it came out and I have not experienced any problems with the screen.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #43
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'd keep hassling them for a new one. That kind of fragility on the screen covering is unacceptable.

Hopefully all units aren't this fragile. I'd be surprised if they made it out of R&D like that..
It really sounds like a design flaw inherent to the GlowLight itself. I've read of a number of units showing screen damage out of the box in the form of hairline scratches that glow like the crack on Amy's wall when the light is on.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that B&N said not to install an extra screen protector because it will damage the light diffuser layer. Of course, right now I can't find where I read that.
Installing a screen protector voids the warranty. I bought a Glowlight in spite of the negative reviews and it quickly became my favorite ereader. No problems at all. Crisp print and equal diffusion of light over screen. The most comfortable of my 4 readers. Although I am extra careful because of reported screen fragility.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #45
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
It´s in the box!
Closed Thread