Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Modifying Identifiers

Friends,

Can I change the modifer ID in a file (and still have it function properly)?

I created 5 ePub files. #1 works fine, I used it as a template for #2, then #2 as a template for #3 and so on. I ran into some issues with old files names remaining in the resourses of the opf, but was able to fix that with checkers sugestion.

In doing this, it appears all the files have the same Identifier as #1

<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:5f65047c-bc4f-4121-9594-9511c5d68a8b</dc:identifier>

<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:5f65047c-bc4f-4121-9594-9511c5d68a8b</dc:identifier>

So what are my options? Thanks. - Fabe

Running an iMac with Mac OS 10.7.2 / Sigil version 0.4.2
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Here's the real question: does it matter if there are ePub files with the same identifier?

The five ePubs I am working on are in a series. So, a person is likely to download all five. Will this cause any problems for them or their e-reader of choice? - Fabe
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
Here's the real question: does it matter if there are ePub files with the same identifier?

The five ePubs I am working on are in a series. So, a person is likely to download all five. Will this cause any problems for them or their e-reader of choice? - Fabe
Yes! Because you can't guarantee that they wont
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yes! Because you can't guarantee that they wont
This is a mantra that can slow down your whole life.

Does unique identifiers guarantee anything?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why chance it? Just delete the "identifier" metadata entry from your template epub's opf file and Sigil will happily generate a new one when next you save it (it will rebuild the OPF file in fact). There's no need to wonder if it will cause any issues.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why chance it? Just delete the "identifier" metadata entry from your template epub's opf file and Sigil will happily generate a new one when next you save it (it will rebuild the OPF file in fact). There's no need to wonder if it will cause any issues.
Thanks. I have no idea how these internals work. I shall do this after a nights sleep. More anon. - Fabe
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Fabe
Dylanologist

This morning I deleted the Identifier id's in the content.opf files from 4 out of 5 files I created in Sigil. I closed the files and then reopened them. Each had a new and unique Identifier.

After doing this, Chapters in the Text folder were sorted into (I believe) alphabetical order and had to be rearranged into my book order. Then the Table of Contents had to be recreated. These were easy tasks.

So now my 5 ePub files should open in Firefox and other readers without an Identifier id conflict.

Lesson Learned: Do not duplicate an ePub file and use it as a template, because you will duplicate the Identifier.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. - Fabe