Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
slow browsing + faded letters?

Hello,

I've had my Sony PRS-T1 for about a week now, and overall I'm very pleased with it, however I'm a bit concerned with slowness loading pages when browsing. I've watched reviews of the Sony on youtube and also on this site (e.g. the reviews by Nathan from the-ebook-reader.com) and loading pages seems to be quite fast. By contrast, when I do internet browsing pages take significantly longer to load. I've timed loading times (with cache, cookies and all history cleared) and here's what I get:

Guardian mobile : 2-3 secs
Independent: 6-9 secs; Independent mobile: 4-6 secs
Telegraph: 6-10 secs (but it can take up to 31 secs to fully load a page)
Financial Times: 5 secs
mobileread.com/forums: 5-6 secs
Google search: 4 secs
Amazon.co.uk: 2 secs
mobile twitter : 3-4 secs (but singificantly longer to fully load a page)

I've tried on two different Wifi networks (my home network and at a cafe) and the results are roughly the same.

Could someone pls tell me whether you get similar results with your Sony or whether this performance is slower than standard? I'll be using the reader for browsing a lot (as it's easy on my eyes), so I want to be sure I'm not holding on to a slow machine.

Also, it seems to me that the letters have faded somewhat on the Sony, and I've only had the reader for a week! Has anyone noticed any fading on their Sony?

I'd be very grateful for any replies. This is the last day of my 7 days money back guarantee period, so I'll have to make a decision quick whether I keep the reader or send it back!
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillux View Post
Hello,

Also, it seems to me that the letters have faded somewhat on the Sony, and I've only had the reader for a week! Has anyone noticed any fading on their Sony?
I don't have a Sony T1 but a PRS650.
About letters fading some people have the same "problem". It seems that the fonts are thinner but it occurs only when you exit from the screensaver; if you turn just a page the fonts seem rendered fine.
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I've had my Sony PRS-T1 for about a week now, and overall I'm very pleased with it, however I'm a bit concerned with slowness loading pages when browsing. I've watched reviews of the Sony on youtube and also on this site (e.g. the reviews by Nathan from the-ebook-reader.com) and loading pages seems to be quite fast. By contrast, when I do internet browsing pages take significantly longer to load.
The review was about the readers primary mission reading books, page turns in books is quite fast. Page turns while browsing on the T-1 or other eInk wireless devices is comparable to what you experienced.

Quote:
I've never noticed any eInk screen fade noticeably over time. giododa may be right in his/her assessment of the situation.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Priscillux

Hi giododa, dwanthny, thank you both for your replies.

giododa:
Quote:
It seems that the fonts are thinner but it occurs only when you exit from the screensaver; if you turn just a page the fonts seem rendered fine.
I seem to have this problem all the time, not only when I exit the screensaver; it's very slight and affects the letters on webpages more than those of books in my library.

dwanthny:
Quote:
Page turns while browsing on the T-1 or other eInk wireless devices is comparable to what you experienced.
Page turns are indeed fast on the PRS-T1, I have no complaint about that. I was thinking of Nathan's "Sony Reader Wi-Fi (PRS-T1) Web Browser and Library eBooks Review" on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKCDXwCmPUA. On that review webpages appear to load faster than on my Sony when browsing the internet. Was just wondering if there are any PRS-T1 owners on the forum willing to comment on whether the webpages loading times they get are comparable to mine?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I seem to have this problem all the time, not only when I exit the screensaver; it's very slight and affects the letters on webpages more than those of books in my library.
Various web pages use various fonts, so this does not surprise me. Of all of the complaints I've read, your concerns in these two areas have not been previously mentioned.

I think your concerns are just normal operation that would probably be the same on any eInk ereader, hopefully someone with more hands-on knowledge will weigh-in so you can make your decision.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
I've noticed some slightly fainter text when switching from a screen (e.g. the main screen) which has some dark areas. Some text is fainter while the rest is normal.

If you page forward and then back, does the fainter text appear normal again? If so I'd say it is a minor bug in how Sony is refreshing the e-ink, or maybe just the way e-ink works. This is my first e-ink device, so I can't tell which. Either way, it isn't significant to me.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Priscillux

Hi chrisridd, I've noticed the fainting effect you're describing, too. I agree, it's not a big deal, only I hope it 's not going to get worse as the reader ages!