Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
kontrabas
kontrabas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, Asus EEENote
Protective Case for Irex Iliad

Can anyone suggest a good case for the Irex Iliad? It should be leather and comfy enough to place the reader in it when you read and/or annotate. I got my Asus EeeNote with a cover and like that very much. The looks can be seen here:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...800-tablet-pc/

Below are the covers I have found on offer. Does anyone know of alternatives or has experience with any of the two?

http://www.medgestore.com/products/i...-executive.psp

http://www.noreve.com/langue/en/prod...ther_case.html
kontrabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I was looking for such a cover a few months ago and found this the "iRex iLiad Reader Leather Cover £20 Off !!! ereader M-Edge jacket case" (item no. 271186890991) on Ebay. Real leather, beautiful color, fits the Iliad perfectly. I think it's a fantastic deal for 15 USD, probably reflecting the fact that the Iliad was discontinued years ago.
I have been using this case daily for about 2 months and it works great. The seller was also excellent, I recommend them highly.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
kontrabas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I was looking for such a cover a few months ago and found this the "iRex iLiad Reader Leather Cover £20 Off !!! ereader M-Edge jacket case" (item no. 271186890991) on Ebay. Real leather, beautiful color, fits the Iliad perfectly. I think it's a fantastic deal for 15 USD, probably reflecting the fact that the Iliad was discontinued years ago.
I have been using this case daily for about 2 months and it works great. The seller was also excellent, I recommend them highly.
I am glad to hear someone else holding on to an Iliad; it might have some flaws but it sure is a nice device, isn't it?
Would you check the second link I posted (it should be from M-Edge)? Is your case listed there? I had considered the M-Edge case but have become wary ever since I found users have had complaints with it (that info is somewhat burried in an older thread: the case was to wear out rather soon; power button not accesible with the Iliad in the case). Reading your reply I suppose you had none of these issues. Can you access the power button, whilst the Iliad is in the case? Would you mind posting a picture of your Illiad in the case? Do you use the Iliad in the case or do you put it out when working with it? That would definitely help.

Best regards,
kontrabas
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I am a new Iliad user :-) I was looking for a largeish e-ink reader with wacom capability, and bought a used Iliad in excellent condition. I have several readers and I agree that the Iliad offers a unique experience with its 8-inch screen and handwriting support. I think the interface and usability is quite good, too. What I don't like is the weight, the slow speed, and the need for a special charger... But for a 5-year old device, this is acceptable :-)

About the leather cover: indeed it seems to be the M-Edge case you have linked. It is the genuine leather version, so I would not worry about long-term durability. Real leather is usually much more durable than faux leather. Also, at this price you can maybe afford to order two of them (I did).
As for accessibility to buttons and slots: this cover is custom-made for the Iliad, so everything is accessible, as you can see in the photos. The only action which is a little difficult is pushing the long button to the right, but you can do it with your fingernail.

I took some photos, here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ywx70chw9fgo7q/ULqHaoZdcQ

I hope it helps! If you decide to buy it, let us know how you like it.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
kontrabas

Thanks a lot. I very much like what I saw. Indeed the Iliad is a beaty in such a genuine leather case.
About being a new user. That is no different with me. I have just aquired the Iliad a few days ago and did wonder that most of the parts have never been taken out of the package; this baby seems not to have been used at all.
As soon as I have my case I will be happy to post the details here.

I have been wondering how to install third party applications. The first step according to the WIKI (here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software) is "to request shell access from iRex". This of course cannot be done anymore with the company non existent. Now I am curious if one can skip that step altogether or is foregoes the ability to install third party applications?! The second consequence does sound a bit odd.
Have you installed any third-pary-applications?

PS: The applications I am interested in are a dictionary on the Iliad; I have that on the Asus and really miss it with the Illiad. A dream would come true, if i were to connect the Iliad with an external keyboard via the USB-port (something that apparently is possible through a third party application) and install a wordpad for writing.
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrabas View Post
Can anyone suggest a good case for the Irex Iliad? It should be leather and comfy enough to place the reader in it when you read and/or annotate. I got my Asus EeeNote with a cover and like that very much. The looks can be seen here:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...800-tablet-pc/

Below are the covers I have found on offer. Does anyone know of alternatives or has experience with any of the two?

http://www.medgestore.com/products/i...-executive.psp

http://www.noreve.com/langue/en/prod...ther_case.html

Noreve is a superb company, but their products are expensive. --- AND WORTH IT!

My experience is with a Kindle 2. I liked their products so much that I ended up buying 2 cases. They were close to $100 EACH, but well worth it, in my opinion.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrabas View Post
Thanks a lot. I very much like what I saw. Indeed the Iliad is a beaty in such a genuine leather case.
About being a new user. That is no different with me. I have just aquired the Iliad a few days ago and did wonder that most of the parts have never been taken out of the package; this baby seems not to have been used at all.
As soon as I have my case I will be happy to post the details here.

I have been wondering how to install third party applications. The first step according to the WIKI (here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software) is "to request shell access from iRex". This of course cannot be done anymore with the company non existent. Now I am curious if one can skip that step altogether or is foregoes the ability to install third party applications?! The second consequence does sound a bit odd.
Have you installed any third-pary-applications?

PS: The applications I am interested in are a dictionary on the Iliad; I have that on the Asus and really miss it with the Illiad. A dream would come true, if i were to connect the Iliad with an external keyboard via the USB-port (something that apparently is possible through a third party application) and install a wordpad for writing.
Interesting, I also went from EeeNote to Iliad :-) The EeeNote is a more modern device, but e-ink is so much nicer than monochrome LCD... Also, I find it easier to make backups of my notes on the Iliad ever since the Evernote sync was broken on EeeNote.
About third party apps: I think you should open a separate thread, or find an existing one with that topic. People will not reply to you here because this thread is about the case and they won't read it.
I also went down this route, but after a few hours of searching, I gave up with the conclusion that it cannot be done without the critical step, which is impossible now that the irex server is down. I could not even change the date/time of my Iliad If you do find a solution, please let me know!
Enjoy your Iliad!