Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
ipad 2 dead pixel frustration

Is anyone else having problems with dead and/or stuck pixels on their ipad 2's?

The first one I bought (after an extensive search) had one in the bottom right corner, but only on a black screen. I figured that if I paid $600 for it, I might as well be completely satisfied. So, I called apple, they set up overnight service, and I sent it out the day I bought it. It came back to me exactly the same way with a note that said "the issue could not be replicated." Angry and frustrated, I spoke with a senior apple adviser, and he assured me that he would make it right because even a single dead pixel was unacceptable.

The next step was, he set up a "Genius Bar" appointment for me. I called ahead to the apple store (which is 40 minutes away) and they said that it would be no problem since they had replacement stock available. I got there, and first they told me that if they replaced it, then if the new one had a problem, I was screwed. They would not replace it again, and I could not return it to the store I bought it at (Target). I was like "what, they didn't tell me that on the phone at apple, or when I called here." The "tech" was sarcastic and rude. I walked away really angry. I came back a few minutes later and asked to speak to the manager. I was like "screw it, I drove all the way over here, and I'll just take a replacement that hopefully works, and then contact apple again if I have a problem." She was really nice and agreed to have me meet with a different tech. After a long wait, the tech informed me that they couldn't replace it after all, since it was bought at Target. So, after two hours of waiting, and a tour of California through FedEx, my ipad 2 still had a dead pixel

The manager, feeling sorry for me, advised me to buy a new one from them, and just return my old one to Target. That way, they could definitely give me service. I begrudgingly agreed because I didn't want to leave empty handed. I successfully returned the old one to Target, and purchased a new one from the apple store.

I came home, optimistic that maybe I could enjoy my new gadget. I turned it on and...dead pixel right in the center of the screen. And, the backlight was bleeding through as well. It was much worse than my original one!

So, am I just unlucky? or, is everyone else just ignoring the pixel problem?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I've had 3 iPhones and 2 iPads, and only my first iPhone had a dead pixel. The Apple Store replaced it with no questions asked. It was pretty dead center though, and a white one (not a black one), so pretty glaring.

I do kinda dread buying big monitors though-the whole "how many dead pixels are allowed" thing is kinda screwy-I understand the technological limitations but damn, if I'm spending that much on a screen, I'd like everything to work.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
It's quite strange. Although I personally haven't bought an iPad for myself, I've certainly not heard this problem. Although it might seem like I'm telling on you, why don't/didn't you open it up and check it at the store itself?

Atleast at the Apple store here, when we purchased the new iPad 2, those helpful Apple reps actually encouraged us to open up the device, turn it on, check for dead pixels and stuff. Only once we were completely satisfied, did she take our card for payment.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
It's quite strange. Although I personally haven't bought an iPad for myself, I've certainly not heard this problem. Although it might seem like I'm telling on you, why don't/didn't you open it up and check it at the store itself?

Atleast at the Apple store here, when we purchased the new iPad 2, those helpful Apple reps actually encouraged us to open up the device, turn it on, check for dead pixels and stuff. Only once we were completely satisfied, did she take our card for payment.
You know, I found that weird on opening day Here we were, crammed in the store which was closed except for iPad 2 sales, huge line outside of people pressing their faces against the front glass...and our very relaxed and casual Apple genius dude wanted to break open the box, check to make sure it was what we wanted...it was nice, but we just wanted out I figured we could come back later if there were any issues.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
You know, I found that weird on opening day Here we were, crammed in the store which was closed except for iPad 2 sales, huge line outside of people pressing their faces against the front glass...and our very relaxed and casual Apple genius dude wanted to break open the box, check to make sure it was what we wanted...it was nice, but we just wanted out I figured we could come back later if there were any issues.
Yep, I'm talking about the opening day as well. Outside it was like this huge chaotic mess while inside it was a nice zen-like thing. Generally for electronics I don't usually bother checking in the store, but since this was essentially a giant monitor with a SoC stuck to it I thought it would be a very good idea to do so.
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't, but my co-worker/friend has. The first iPad he bought had a dead pixel and he returned it the same day. Ranted and raved and ultimately got the bigger storage model.

Then when the second one launched, he bought one. Had a dead pixel. It was replaced. The replacement had the bleeding light bug him all to hell, and then returned it. IT was replaced with one that had 2 dead pixels. Ranted and raved again, got it replaced.

Now he has one that works to his liking. I know that Apple makes (generally) high-quality products, but I still check EVERYTHING immediately for the dead/stuck pixels and such before leaving the store (if possible) or as soon as I get it home and charged and such.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, my issue was finally resolved with a lot of ranting and raving!

I called today and set up my Genius Bar appointment. They assured me (three times over the phone) that everything would be fine and that they had a replacement unit for me. When I got there they said, "I'm sorry, we don't have any more units. We can order one for you and you should get it in a few weeks." Needless to say after a 40 minute drive and taking part of the day off from work, I was pissed.

The tech got real nasty with me and told me that i was lucky to even have one since they are so scarce. He also informed me that backlight bleeding is no big deal, even his unit has it.

After a lengthy argument I asked for a refund. Suddenly a worker came up and said that he found the unit that was set aside for me. I was then prepared for the exchange when the manager had a 15 minute pow wow with her employees since she had trouble seeing the defects.

Eventually I got the new unit, even though the manager made the comment "Your eyes must be much better than mine!" I opened it in the store and checked, even though they weren't thrilled with the idea, and lo and behold, a perfect unit!

Very frustrating, but I'm glad it's over!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
ski_power
Book eater

Congratulations! Although I'm surprised that they weren't cool with you opening it up there. Here, the Apple employee was the person who suggested the idea in the first place.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric

Ok, a senior Apple representative called me to see if my issue was resolved, and after hearing my story, he was appalled.

He apologized profusely, and called me back later to offer me an ipad 2 accessory of my choosing. He suggested a leather smart cover, so that is what I got. I should be receiving it shortly.

All is right with the world, and Apple and I are now friends again!

Oh, and the ipad 2 was worth the hassle
Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Rob87
Rob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-600
I finally managed to get mine yesterday after I got lucky with the online "reserve and collect" system.

It appears the majority of Ipad 2s suffer from back light bleeding. I tested mine and it does suffer from it when the lights are off and a black background is displayed.

To be honest if I didn't read about it I would never of spotted it and I can't spot it under normal viewing conditions so Im not going to return it or kick up a fuss.

Does make you wonder about their quality control though as this is an expencive product. No dead pixels thankfully that would drive me mad !
Rob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob87 View Post
I finally managed to get mine yesterday after I got lucky with the online "reserve and collect" system.

It appears the majority of Ipad 2s suffer from back light bleeding. I tested mine and it does suffer from it when the lights are off and a black background is displayed.

To be honest if I didn't read about it I would never of spotted it and I can't spot it under normal viewing conditions so Im not going to return it or kick up a fuss.

Does make you wonder about their quality control though as this is an expencive product. No dead pixels thankfully that would drive me mad !
Yeah, this one has some minor backlight bleeding, but it's barely noticeable. The last one I had was really bad, and the dead pixel was right towards the center. For some reason, dead pixels drive me crazy!