Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
runningmom
runningmom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Christmas shipping to Canada vs. US

Hi, I'm looking for some help.
Ordering a Kindle 3, from amazon.com, for shipment to Canada: amazon is indicating that it will not ship for 5 to 7 WEEKS.
As an alternative, I could get a friend in the US to order it as they will ship it to a US address quite quickly. Then my friend could ship it to me in Canada. All good so far. But, what I don't know is, if my friend pays for it with their US credit card and amazon sends it to a US address, will it be a problem for me to in turn register the device to myself in Canada? And subsequently use amazon.ca to download my ebooks?
Or can I have it delivered to a US address and pay for it with a CDN credit card?
As a Canadian, am I restricted to whether I purchase ebooks through amazon.com or amazon.ca? Would one be preferable to the other? Sorry for all the questions. I obviously left ordering one too late for it to be easy. Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help.
runningmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hey, I'm a running mom myself

The 5-7 weeks may be an overestimate, but to be sure I'd have your friend ship it to you from the US. You can change the account the Kindle is registered to when you receive it. All ebooks are downloaded from amazon.com, but it will realize that your home country is Canada from your account data. All charges are in US$ (but no tax!). You will notice that as a Canadian, not all ebooks will be available to you and some will have different prices that if your country was the USA.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
runningmom
runningmom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Treadlightly. Just to clarify, can Canadians not order ebooks through amazon.ca for the kindle?
By the way, all my life I lived in Ottawa until 4 years ago, when we moved to Calgary. Both are great cities.
Thanks for your help.
runningmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Nope there are no kindle books available at amazon.ca. I suspect in the future there will be, because the government will want their tax money.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote