Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Info for Ozies looking at E Readers

High to all in Oz and everywhere else. I thought this info may assist those in Oz (and anyone else in a similar situation) looking at getting an e-reader.

Just remember though that this is not an advert for a particular reader, it is just my personal experience.

Some time ago I discovered e-readers and thought that they may just be what I need. I love reading and have an endless supply of ebooks which I had been printing out to read as I can't read them on a computer monitor as my eyes only last about ten minutes before they tire and start to water, etc.

Problem was I was cutting down lots of trees and spending a fair amount on ink not to mention the printer I wore out.

Did lots of research on this forum which is absolutely fantastic and decided that for my purposes a 9.7" reader would best fill my needs. Only problem is they are pricey and I was not comfortable spending that sort of money on what amounted to an experiment as I did not know if my eyes would handle an e-reader or behave as they do with a computer monitor.

Then I looked round locally at what was available and found that even the 6" readers were more than I was willing to pay to answer the eye question.

So at that point I shelved the idea and just kept salivating over all the info I saw on this forum each day.

Happened to be holidaying in Bali a while back and noticed that Amazon had introduced a new model and dropped the price significantly so I decided to take the plunge and pre-ordered one with a cover and power adapter.

Had to wait a while till my order was filled due to the demand but I can tell you it was the best buying experience I have ever had. They did not hit my card till the order was filled and only took four days for the order to arrive by courier from the day of dispatch. Everything was well packed and arrived safe and well.

I have now read five books on the Kindle and have no trouble with my eyes tiring. From my perspective it is just like reading a normal book. Only adjustments I really had to make were more tactile as it feels different to a book and only has one page but that only took a couple of days.

My only negative comment would be the keyboard which I don't need and will never use along with the wi-fi which I have turned off and will never use.

All in all the 6" screen isn't too bad and I will be happy to stick with it till 9.7" screens fall in price to accomodate my budget.

Hope this info assists the undecided and my final comment would be that if you want an e-reader at a reasonable price and you live in oz like I do then look overseas.

Regards to all
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Hi Kev,

Same great experience buying a Kindle while in Australia. I was shocked that they only charged twenty bucks from shipping and sent it DHL courier.

Got a DX, though... Man, a visit to the dentist just set me back $850 for 75 minutes of work... That really puts the $400 in perspective, as you live and sleep with your reader.

Wishing all a fun day,

Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert