Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #331
ns_angela
ns_angela began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
newest update :-(

Just had an update yesterday on my Arc.. Android version 4.1.1 Kernel 3.0.31 as it sits now. Do NOT like the new update. It's now more like my phone than what I had at first. Dislike the tiny clock in the top corner.. all that was larger in the bottom corner. The symbols in the top left of what's updating/downloading/notifications is also now sooo tiny in that corner.. just dislike it all around in this configuration. I'm sure I'll get use to it.. I have to.. but still dislike.
ns_angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #332
andreib
andreib began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_angela View Post
Just had an update yesterday on my Arc.. Android version 4.1.1 Kernel 3.0.31 as it sits now. Do NOT like the new update. It's now more like my phone than what I had at first. Dislike the tiny clock in the top corner.. all that was larger in the bottom corner. The symbols in the top left of what's updating/downloading/notifications is also now sooo tiny in that corner.. just dislike it all around in this configuration. I'm sure I'll get use to it.. I have to.. but still dislike.
I agree - unfortunatelly Kobo decided to give us the stock Android UI (besides the Tapestries launcher)
andreib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #333
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

I don't mind the changes too much, though the keyboard no longer gives you punctuation options when you hit the space bar And the two stage shut-down process is a tad annoying too. Hope these get changed at some point, but OTOH, these are most definitely FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!!

eTess
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #334
wiiinston
wiiinston began at the beginning.

I cannot fathom how much I hate the new update, the new set-up on the screen is taking up so much unnecessary space. Is there any way to downgrade at all? I've already tried a factory reset.
wiiinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #335
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiinston View Post
I cannot fathom how much I hate the new update, the new set-up on the screen is taking up so much unnecessary space. Is there any way to downgrade at all? I've already tried a factory reset.
Your not alone. At this point in time there is no way back and kobo don't seem to be to concerned about wither people like it or not. Read the jelly bean landed thread amongst others. I will certainly never entertain anything connected with Kobo/Rakuten in the future.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #336
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiinston View Post
Is there any way to downgrade at all? I've already tried a factory reset.
If you manage to downgrade you have to deal with the kobo setup app. This application is nice enough to disable the back button (so you cannot exit the app) and you are forced to go through this setup. During this setup there is a forced software update that must be run and your machine will be upgraded to the latest available update.

You cannot enter the android os without going through this app. I'm quite surprised there is no way to exit this app. There should at least be a skip option to boot into the os and run the setup later, unfortunately this isn't the case.

I can foresee endusers having some interesting issues when/if kobo or the arc aren't around anymore.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #337
cdnmom2010
cdnmom2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Ughh I am hating my arc since doing the update. Should have come here first and read and I wouldn't have updated. I just find everything is crashing and freezing on me since updating.
cdnmom2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #338
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
First, install an alternate launcher (Nova's probably easiest to deal with) - if you can't open Google Play normally, swipe up from the Home button to get to Google Now. With any luck, Google Search hasn't updated on you and you'll be able to open Google Play via a card.

Then clear the cache. (an option you get when, from a powered-down state, you hold the volume up and power button down 'til the LED flashes blue, then release. Choose the appropriate option, then reboot)

That'll stop the crashing, for the most part, speed up your Arc a fair bit, and is generally easier than trying to get into Settings while Tapestries is in an insta-crash loop (swiping down from the top and hitting the Settings icon) and doing a factory reset (Settings -> Backup & reset -> Factory data reset).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #339
edwardno
edwardno began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Any chance anyone has found a charging dock that works for the Kobo Arc? I found one on eBay that says its for the Samsung Galaxy S2 that looks like it could work but I dont want to buy it then find out the Arc is too big.
edwardno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #340
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I don't know if the Arc has the same proprietary USB connection as the Vox, but on the latter no other charger would work unless it was 2 amps and had the same connections. I did find a charger for the Vox on eBay for something like $8, even when Kobo wasn't selling them. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to the vendor.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #341
edwardno

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I don't know if the Arc has the same proprietary USB connection as the Vox, but on the latter no other charger would work unless it was 2 amps and had the same connections. I did find a charger for the Vox on eBay for something like $8, even when Kobo wasn't selling them. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to the vendor.
It just uses a Micro USB to charge. I dont think it requires a specific charger though because I have been plugging mine in using an old USB cable I had and a USB adapter to a wall outlet and it charged just fine.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #342
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Yeah, Kobo received a lot of flack about the Vox because it couldn't be charged from a standard low current USB port and the charge indicator didn't work with a non-Kobo charger, even if it did put out 2 amps. But then the Vox is a power hog tablet. I have to charge mine just about every day.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #343
edwardno

So has anyone found a dock that can work with the Arc? I always liked having a dock on my bedside table and this is the first device Ive owned that doesnt have one available.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #344
JaneLovestoSail
JaneLovestoSail began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
How do I understand the small icons at the top of the arc? How do I close them? It looks like I have 3 facebook items open and I am confused on how to close them?
JaneLovestoSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #345
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Swipe down from the top left; this should show the notifications. You can swipe individual ones off the list, or (I'm not sure if this is in all Android versions) there might be an icon of three horizontal lines at the top of the notification area; touch that and it will clear all the notifications as well.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote