Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
digitaltrix
digitaltrix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (silver)
Exclamation Just Evernote experiences & nothing else please!

As a premium EN user who practically lives off of Evernote, the PRS-T2's *real world* experience concerning Evernote usage is something very important to me

Ok guys, so I thought I had been quite patient with product information, release dates, and now even more than two months after release, not nearly enough information can be found surrounding the Evernote experience on this wifi based ereader the PRS-T2 by Sony.

Just a little background, I have a Sony Prs-350 so I'm mostly familiar with the format as well as definitely very well read up on features of the new PRS-T2. I have watched & read every review and much to my dismay no one has given the Evernote feature, the attention I thought it deserves. As I tend to save EN clips of anything interesting I come across during the week but don't have time to read until the weekends or at night via my small glaring iPhone screen, for me the PRS-T2 is a niche product that fits my particular need REALLY WELL!
So I will say once more regarding Evernote experiences...this is ALL I really want to know about and more importantly, your REAL WORLD experiences!

I know enough about the PRS-T2 and the problems it brings and the features it lacks, all I am interested in is other users' experiences of how Evernote has worked out for them.
Namely:
  1. How fast all notes sync including notebooks (esp if you have several thousand articles & several notebooks) over wifi
  2. How well overall function works and whether there are any glitches in accessing using the EN feature?
  3. Regarding notes captured from the computer, how well are they presented on the PRS-T2.
  4. Are they a joy to read even without the Clearly extension applied?
  5. Are the graphics from clipped pages just bad looking or do they slow down the Evernote feature a lot ?
  6. How easy is it to add passages from a book and sync this up fast & problem free?
  7. Is there any chance to make new notes in Evernote via the onscreen drawing or keyboard, ie not a copy past procedure but typing or writing out a note that is saved as image perhaps?
  8. Account management options and general desktop features. How much do these options mirror using Evernote on the PC...functionality and speed wise?

I do realize these are lot of questions but my patience has run off and were it not for my exams, I'd have bought a PRS-T2 a LONG time ago and made an EN highlight feature for Youtube a long time ago!
No big surprise, the PRS-T2 just doesn't create the kind of first day/week excitement like the iPhone 5 does, as the hundreds of online videos would give testament to regarding the latter.
I've been through 7 PRS-T2 videos at least and NOT ONE covers an actual time set aside to clearly show Evernote usage in action! What is the conspiracy all about lol?.
If anyone would like to be the first to cover what I think is a HUGE feature point and perhaps the only thing worth recommending for this year's release of Sony's ereaders, I think you'd be surprised by the number of views your video would get.

Don't forget to link it here though

And thanks in advance to those who can answer this question!
digitaltrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Rikhodoo4
Rikhodoo4 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2.
I don't have a premium account, but for now some observations.

The settings are very simple, you can select one notebook for downloading and one for uploading, you can download all evernote clearly articles and let evernote sync automatically (but only if you completely shutdown the device, which takes relatively long).

If you want to upload quotes you can mark a certain text, and with options like adding notes, you have an option to send it to evernote. I did not use this, but I think a new note is created in the upload notebook.

The other option is downloading all notes in one article. My layout there is not really strange, so did not notice strange stuff while reading. The notes or drawings made are not synced with your account and at the moment you can only delete articles from the selected download notebook. The articles you view in other notebooks, but which are created in evernote cleary, can not be deleted on the reader.

I did not test the speed of 1000 articles, but I can remember I once downloaded 100 articles and it took I think more than 5 minutes. So I suppose 1000 is quote a problem for the device.

Also I didn't find an option to send drawings or created notes on the reader.

For now my main use is reading some web articles and especially a way to read some interesting RSS articles, which I select in Google Reader that I want to read them later. For the rest I think I lot can be improved to do a lot more with your notes.
Rikhodoo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Kunvp
Enthusiast
Kunvp began at the beginning.

Device: Promedia e-reader (Onyx C67ML) - Aldi2016 / Former: Sony PRS-T1&T2
the Evernote feature is a big [B]disappointment[/B]

To me the Evernote feature is a big disappointment
a good idea, definatly, but not integrated in the PRS-T2 at all.

1. sending a note to Evernote is only possible when connected to WIFI
(there seems to be no cue)
2. It is not possible to start a new EN-note?
3. It is not possible to sent your handwriting/ notes from the PRS-T2 notepad.
The notes should be connected with a book you are reading.
4. It is not possible (I did not find any possibility) to sent all notes made in a book in one go to EN.

We can wait for a Sony firmware update, but we all now Sony is lousy at this?

If anybody got more out of EN on the PRS-T2, please share your experience.

Last edited by Kunvp; 10-02-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: typo
Kunvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaltrix View Post
[*] How well overall function works and whether there are any glitches in accessing using the EN feature?
[*]Regarding notes captured from the computer, how well are they presented on the PRS-T2.[*]Are they a joy to read even without the Clearly extension applied?[*]Are the graphics from clipped pages just bad looking or do they slow down the Evernote feature a lot ?
[*] How easy is it to add passages from a book and sync this up fast & problem free?
[*]Is there any chance to make new notes in Evernote via the onscreen drawing or keyboard, ie not a copy past procedure but typing or writing out a note that is saved as image perhaps?
[*]Account management options and general desktop features. How much do these options mirror using Evernote on the PC...functionality and speed wise?[/LIST][/B]

2) I use android and from dolphin I have a plugin that works as a charm to send to T2 except for large pages, and some exceptions. Still I have to find a way to save the pages from the inbuilted browser in the t2 in the books
5) trying to find a way to send all the book highlights in evernote.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[*] How well overall function works and whether there are any glitches in accessing using the EN feature?
[*]Regarding notes captured from the computer, how well are they presented on the PRS-T2.[*]Are they a joy to read even without the Clearly extension applied?[*]Are the graphics from clipped pages just bad looking or do they slow down the Evernote feature a lot ?
[*] How easy is it to add passages from a book and sync this up fast & problem free?
[*]Is there any chance to make new notes in Evernote via the onscreen drawing or keyboard, ie not a copy past procedure but typing or writing out a note that is saved as image perhaps?
[*]Account management options and general desktop features. How much do these options mirror using Evernote on the PC...functionality and speed wise?[/LIST][/B]

update, as evernote does not work always, I use dolphin pdf plugin to save the pages in pdf(in this way also graphs fit really well) then I send them with a browser to my email, and then I download the pdf with the browser. takes more time? yes and not, in the end I can download every kind of complex web page, and somebody could do an app in android that authomatize the procedure: export web page pdf+ send to an adress

then is really easy switch to browser and retrieve the files from the email having the mail as favorite.( I was thinking also to google drive or to cut and copy them in the media book sony directory with a pc)

Of course I hope that evernote will transfer my files more efficiently

Last edited by trocchietto; 10-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

2. Just tap any word and upload to Evernote with a note.
3. At Handwriting app, open up a drawing, use 'Capture Screenshot' under Options menu, switch to Pictures app, open the screen capture and use 'Upload to Evernote' under Options menu. Yes, Sony could have implemented a simpler way.
4. At All Notes, tap and hold a particular note to upload and select 'Upload to Evernote'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunvp View Post
To me the Evernote feature is a big disappointment
a good idea, definatly, but not integrated in the PRS-T2 at all.

1. sending a note to Evernote is only possible when connected to WIFI
(there seems to be no cue)
2. It is not possible to start a new EN-note?
3. It is not possible to sent your handwriting/ notes from the PRS-T2 notepad.
The notes should be connected with a book you are reading.
4. It is not possible (I did not find any possibility) to sent all notes made in a book in one go to EN.

We can wait for a Sony firmware update, but we all now Sony is lousy at this?

If anybody got more out of EN on the PRS-T2, please share your experience.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
wnK
wnK began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t2
Hi all, new guy in the forum here!.

I´ve recently purchased an TRS-t2 and I´m struggling to integrate my ereader with Google Reader(rss) via evernote.

I´ve tried with ifttt. The feeds arrive to evernote, and it creates a new note for each but, when downloading to evernote, the note breaks.

Any idea / suggestion? Please!!!.
wnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
digitaltrix
digitaltrix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (silver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikhodoo4 View Post
I don't have a premium account, but for now some observations.

The settings are very simple, you can select one notebook for downloading and one for uploading, you can download all evernote clearly articles and let evernote sync automatically (but only if you completely shutdown the device, which takes relatively long).

If you want to upload quotes you can mark a certain text, and with options like adding notes, you have an option to send it to evernote. I did not use this, but I think a new note is created in the upload notebook.

The other option is downloading all notes in one article. My layout there is not really strange, so did not notice strange stuff while reading. The notes or drawings made are not synced with your account and at the moment you can only delete articles from the selected download notebook. The articles you view in other notebooks, but which are created in evernote clearly, can not be deleted on the reader.

I did not test the speed of 1000 articles, but I can remember I once downloaded 100 articles and it took I think more than 5 minutes. So I suppose 1000 is quote a problem for the device.

Also I didn't find an option to send drawings or created notes on the reader.

For now my main use is reading some web articles and especially a way to read some interesting RSS articles, which I select in Google Reader that I want to read them later. For the rest I think I lot can be improved to do a lot more with your notes.
Thanks Rhikodoo4 & others, I guess it is not altogether bad but I am a little confused by some of the explanations regarding the term "articles?"
I am not sure what you meant by downloading all the notes in one "article" perhaps it has something to do with the Sony T2, please explain?

I suppose keeping everything you mentioned here, I am really quite sure the T2 would need to use just one notebook that can be set aside for light reading and regular deletions & maintenance for T2 reading purposes only.
I know I mentioned 1000 notes, it appears I was wrong...I've actually got all my notes in one notebook right now (I'm a messy guy need to categorize but no time) and they are actually 3,624 notes!
So quite a lot.
Well the idea that it takes 5 mins for 100 notes is not a good thing but as I mentioned earlier I guess a separate light notebook for T2 use would be good although I'm not clear if they have a download headers option only?

This is like email programs where you only download each note's title and then can use a search feature or skim through list to pick and choose which ones to fully download to your system. I know header download option is available for Evernote app-=iPhone.

And as for the dolphin plugin thanks trocchietto, I would agree there are many, many other ways to do this but I wanted to know particularly how Evernote option shines or in this case, barely flickers for the T2 this year
I was thinking all sorts of awesome ideas, like being able to use an SD card for downloading my Evernote notebooks, pop in and read when I like...serves me right for being in dream land..Sony is really funny how they approach their different products..sometimes I wonder how I would deal with it if I was stuck in a department like eReaders vs their laptop/tv display departments lol

Last edited by digitaltrix; 10-08-2012 at 06:13 AM.
digitaltrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Rikhodoo4
Rikhodoo4 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2.
Quote:
Thanks Rhikodoo4 & others, I guess it is not altogether bad but I am a little confused by some of the explanations regarding the term "articles?"
I am not sure what you meant by downloading all the notes in one "article" perhaps it has something to do with the Sony T2, please explain?
I see I was not consequent in the terms I used. In this case I meant "downloading all notes in one notebook". In the rest of my reply note/article are used simultaneously.

Quote:
I suppose keeping everything you mentioned here, I am really quite sure the T2 would need to use just one notebook that can be set aside for light reading and regular deletions & maintenance for T2 reading purposes only.
I know I mentioned 1000 notes, it appears I was wrong...I've actually got all my notes in one notebook right now (I'm a messy guy need to categorize but no time) and they are actually 3,624 notes!
So quite a lot.
Well the idea that it takes 5 mins for 100 notes is not a good thing but as I mentioned earlier I guess a separate light notebook for T2 use would be good although I'm not clear if they have a download headers option only?

This is like email programs where you only download each note's title and then can use a search feature or skim through list to pick and choose which ones to fully download to your system. I know header download option is available for Evernote app-=iPhone.

And as for the dolphin plugin thanks trocchietto, I would agree there are many, many other ways to do this but I wanted to know particularly how Evernote option shines or in this case, barely flickers for the T2 this year
I was thinking all sorts of awesome ideas, like being able to use an SD card for downloading my Evernote notebooks, pop in and read when I like...serves me right for being in dream land..Sony is really funny how they approach their different products..sometimes I wonder how I would deal with it if I was stuck in a department like eReaders vs their laptop/tv display departments lol
No, it needs to download all articles completely. I didn't use a mini-SD card yet, but I don't think extra options will be available. So for now the Evernote app is fun and useful in some cases. But I agree that it would be nice to do a lot more with it.
Rikhodoo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikhodoo4 View Post
I see I was not consequent in the terms I used. In this case I meant "downloading all notes in one notebook". In the rest of my reply note/article are used simultaneously.

No, it needs to download all articles completely. I didn't use a mini-SD card yet, but I don't think extra options will be available. So for now the Evernote app is fun and useful in some cases. But I agree that it would be nice to do a lot more with it.
a question can you enlarge the fonts of everynote pages on t2?

Noticed that when I send a page to evernote from android using dolphin browser and the plugin ( so I do not know if others browser programs work)
the text once it is arrived on my T2, cannot be enlarged, so sometimes the text is really enlarged
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Shelter
Shelter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readeer T2
Dropbox

I Use Dropbox via the browser. I did not try the dolphin app mentioned. So i don't know which method is better.

Using Clearly addin makes it very easy to save webpages to the reader for later read

Calibre has some nice options to auto download rss feeds

Last edited by Shelter; 02-07-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Extra info
Shelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evernote, prs-t2