Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The desaktop uses the serial # of the device to ensure that it IS compatible with the 2.1.1 release. There were issues with some devices where 2.1.1 would not install, and this is why it was NOT released officially to the Kobo Touch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #62
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Has anyone had any serious problems manually installing this firmware?
That depends what you mean by "serious problems", I suppose. I was unable to manually install it, and had to factory reset afterwards. That's about as serious as install problems get on the Kobo, but it's not like it was permanently damaged or anything.

1.9.17, which I remain on by choice, has the snappiest pageturns around. I just fix the top margin bug with a Calibre epub-epub conversion.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #63
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
That depends what you mean by "serious problems", I suppose. I was unable to manually install it, and had to factory reset afterwards. That's about as serious as install problems get on the Kobo, but it's not like it was permanently damaged or anything.

1.9.17, which I remain on by choice, has the snappiest pageturns around. I just fix the top margin bug with a Calibre epub-epub conversion.
I should have been more precise. I was concerned that I could brick the device by attempting to manually install the firmware.

How do you factory reset if the firmware won't load?
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #64
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd suggest waiting a few more days. Somehow I think with the new devices launching in the next few days, we will see a new release in place to support those.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #65
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...51&postcount=6

Quote:
Make sure the device is charged (plug it in for about 30 minutes or so) and then:

1. Hold the power button down for about 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

2. Hold down the home button and power the device on while keeping it held down. This should force a factory reset.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #66
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
(Deleted: replied to a post from the previous page without seeing that it had been answered already in this page. Didn't see last page.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #67
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
device instance path: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG31B0 100263F&0
parent: USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\KG31B0100263F
Thanks, Francois!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #68
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
I noticed that the book with the slow page turning issue (a homemade one from LibreOffice) had a very large font. Maybe the font size causes the problem. I'll try and reduce the font size with Sigil, if possible.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #69
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I should have been more precise. I was concerned that I could brick the device by attempting to manually install the firmware.

On my Kobo, it happened once (unwillingly by simultaneously pressing the button below the screen and holding the power button for more than four seconds. Then I was back to the original firmware.
I re-installed 2.1.1, which works well on my machine, and took the opportunity to clean up my library and manage it only with Calbre. At first, as I'm an old-fashioned computer user, I copied books directly to the SD card, but it was not a good practice, because of possible file names and metadata issues.

Last edited by Francois_C; 10-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote