Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
connaisseur
connaisseur began at the beginning.

Device: Something, that will work...
Howto prevent a firmware upgrade?

Hi!

How do I prevent the Kobo Touch from updating the Firmware automatically (when connected to the Kobo Desktop)?

Currently I use the .12 and will eventually upgrade to .14 (for being w/o ads).

I've tried .16 but this slowwwwwws page flipping by tapping. So I did a factory reset and found myself with page tap flipping at 99% working.

Any hints?

Rgds,
--connaisseur

PS: If this has been asked before, a short Links as answer is much apreciated. Searching was not that successful, but I've might been not choosing the right keywords... ;-)
connaisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Only way is to never connect it to the the desktop or to sync it over wi-fi.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

To expand upon JD Gumby's comment: in some cases it is possible to manage your library with Calibre. Between that and keeping WiFi turned off, the Touch will not receive firmware updates. Another option is to delete the update files prior to disconnecting the Touch from your computer, but that becomes inconvenient if you synchronize with your computer a lot.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I use Calibre and Adobe (for library books) to load my books.
I never sync, the wifi is always turned off and the only time I ever connect my Kobo to the desktop app is when I decide I want it to update.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
connaisseur
connaisseur began at the beginning.

Device: Something, that will work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I never sync, the wifi is always turned off and the only time I ever connect my Kobo to the desktop app is when I decide I want it to update.
Hhhm. Ah. Good point. That hint sounds fine.

Thank you.

Rgds,
--connaisseur
connaisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
This is exactly what I do. It has helped me be completely delighted with my Kobo Touch running 1.9.10 firmware.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
keepsake
keepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of lightkeepsake is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can use the regular Kobo app if you'd like. When you are done syncing, just remove the 5x MB KoboRoot.tgz file and the upgrade folder from the .kobo directory. That's what I did and I'm using 1.9.14 with the Kobo app.
keepsake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stop firmware update, touch