Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Yyzguy
Yyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPad
Question about Kobo Desktop software

For Windows 7, what is the file location for where the Kobo desktop application store the files for purchased (from Kobo website) ebooks? I cannot find the files anywhere.
Yyzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I also have Windows 7. From what I can tell, there are no files stored on your computer as a result of them appearing in your Kobo desktop application. Now, if you download using ePUB (into ADE) a "My Digital Editions" file is established in your books in "My Documents".
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
The books downloded to the reader through the desktop kobo software (not via ADE) end up in the koboreader.sqlite file (in the .kobo folder on the reader). That's where the 100 free books are as well.

The books in the desktop seem to be in a kobo.sqlite folder in the user/appdata/local/kobo/kobodesktop edition folder (I'm using Vista so it may be different for 7)

Last edited by p_a_smith; 09-04-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added the full folder path
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@P.A. The sqlite folder is in the same place on Windows 7, but I can't see any way to access the books themselves, can you? I believe if you want the ePUBs, you have to use ADE--which means that DRM will be attached, but at least the books are there.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
There are sqlite database browsers for Windows, I'm sure; the text in the database is encrypted, however. So far, nobody has published the decryption algorithm -- nor are they likely to, as epub has already been done.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
@P.A. The sqlite folder is in the same place on Windows 7, but I can't see any way to access the books themselves, can you? I believe if you want the ePUBs, you have to use ADE--which means that DRM will be attached, but at least the books are there.
Far as I know there is no way to access the books within the sqlite database (I think pholy is right and it is encrypted). I can look at some of the data from the book (e.g whether it has been read) but can't access the individual books.

You certainly can download the epubs using ADE. I normally don't from the kobo site for two reasons - no book I have downloaded that way ever has a cover with it and sometimes the margins are too large making the book hard to read. I always get a cover and proper margins using the kobo desktop reader to download my kobo purchases.

Last edited by p_a_smith; 09-05-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: I can't speel
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Odd about the covers. I have downloaded 34 books using ADE and 6 don't have commercial covers. From what i have read, it is a copyright issue.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Odd about the covers. I have downloaded 34 books using ADE and 6 don't have commercial covers. From what i have read, it is a copyright issue.
Yeah it is strange. I can't understand what the copyright issue might be that would keep the cover from ADE but let it through on Kobo desktop app. I've bought some books on Kobobooks and downloaded them via ADE and received no cover and yet when I download them through the desktop app the covers show up.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Everything seems to depends on the publishers interpretation of their contracts with the artist who created the cover for their book.

There is of course the option that if you use any of the DRM removal tools, that you could then use Calbre to reattach the cover as found via ISBN search in it's metadata editting option.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

It's not uncommon for publishers to release different covers for each edition (hard cover, paperback, different countries, etc.). The artist is paid for their cover art accordingly.