Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Tireman9
Tireman9 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Point taken, however, I never said that all batteries that were not intended to be user replaceable were in fact replaceable, nor did I say that I myself could replace every battery in every e-reader. Of course, if anyone really wanted to prove it could be done, I suppose someone could replace the battery in the non-touch Kindle. The difficulty simply makes it not worthwhile.
I am wondering about the You Tube showing the battery being replaced on a Kindle keyboard is not real. Or do you consider the K3 to be a "touch" Kindle?
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
One big advantage for battery operated devices like the jetBook Lite is that you never
need to wait while the batteries are charging, you just replace the drained batteries
with ones that you have already charged up. You could even use primary (non-rechargeable) batteries in a pinch. A set of four NiMH rechargeable batteries costs
about $10. With two sets and a charger you can always have a charged set ready to
go long before the set you are using runs out.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I am wondering about the You Tube showing the battery being replaced on a Kindle keyboard is not real. Or do you consider the K3 to be a "touch" Kindle?
K3 is not a Touch Kindle. It has physical buttons and a keyboard, the screen has no touch response.

The K4 is glued together in multiple spots, making if difficult to replace parts, including the battery.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Like Ken, I'm a JetBook Lite fan.

That being said, I have replaced batteries on MP3 players and other devices that were designed to be expensive disposables. It depends on the user's skills to a great degree, but Lithium batteries can throw some unexpected curves. Just ask the engineers at Boeing.

Be very, very sure your replacement battery is really intended to be a compatible replacement battery -- electrical characteristics are important. Physical size is important. How much glue and adhesive padding the manufacturer used can make the job even more of a hassle.

The first time I charge up any device with a replaced lithium battery I do it in the garage, on a concrete floor, with nothing flammable near it.

That being said, it is often possible. Good luck!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
K3 is not a Touch Kindle. It has physical buttons and a keyboard, the screen has no touch response.

The K4 is glued together in multiple spots, making if difficult to replace parts, including the battery.
Yes, the K4 has glue. The K3, Touch, and PW, don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
E-Readers from the "small" brands like Pocketbook, Cybook, Onyx, Bebook, most Hanlin clones come with user replacable batteries.
As far as the cybook goes barety for gen 3 and opus are replacable. Not for Orizon / odyssey.

Prs-T1 battery is not replaceable.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The batteries in my Sony PRS-350s are replaceable, and are under $20. I'll definitely replace them as needed, but so far after 2 years, my 2 original 350s are still going strong, and a few other used 350s I bought also have zero battery problems.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kindle 1: Instructions in manual
Kindle 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Zqtllok98
Kindle Keyboard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfvRFNX73LY
Kindle Paperwhite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVwTBspZ58
PRS 350: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0B2bT9UGs
PRS 650: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRYVQz2FMo
Original Nook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NDkHVn3LE

You might be able to find more if you look around a bit...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't expect to have to replace the battery in my Kindle PW any time soon as the unit is only a few months old, but it does look simple if one had to do it. With how the price of ereaders is going down as it has been though it might eventually reach the point where it costs more to buy the replacement battery than it would to get a new Kindle PW or other ereader.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I have replaced batteries in several iPods. Ifixit.com is a great resource. It has step by step instruction, pictures, and parts for sale.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #26
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not always. The battery in a Kindle Non-Touch CANNOT be replaced - not by anyone. It's glued in, and you can't remove the battery without destroying the device. If you believe that you know better, a lot of people would, I'm sure, love to see you demonstrate this .
Is this what you mean? It has buttons so it appears to be a k4nt having its battery changed.

Found the link elsewhere on MR.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Is this what you mean? It has buttons so it appears to be a k4nt having its battery changed.

Found the link elsewhere on MR.
Ha! All I can say is "try it and see" . Seriously, the K4 is so thoroughly glued together, that you're unlikely to succeed without destroying it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #28
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ha! All I can say is "try it and see" . Seriously, the K4 is so thoroughly glued together, that you're unlikely to succeed without destroying it.
Two points: I'm sure it can be done and I'm also sure it's not worth doing.
Since I don't have a Kindle I'm not going to try it but the only glue I've found that won't release when the right solvent is applied is that which melts the plastic & 'welds' the pieces together. And I've taken that apart by cutting thru the weld with a very thin-bladed saw, then used the same glue to re-weld it. That pretty much supposes you know what glue was used. (in most cases where I've taken glued pieces apart they were models that I'd assembled so yes, I did know what glue was used.) Without that you'd probably need a good chemistry lab-or lots & lots of trial & error. Maybe both. Like I said, doesn't seem worthwhile.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #29
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Two points: I'm sure it can be done and I'm also sure it's not worth doing.
Agreed.

I chimed in because of a bizarre/absolute claim earlier in the thread that "the battery in a Kindle Non-Touch CANNOT be replaced - not by anyone."

Srsly? Does the poster think that not even the design engineers or manufacturer could do it? CIA fabricators? Mad scientists at MIT?

There is so much good info on MR that it's jarring to read something so easily disprovable presented with such strong conviction.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Agreed.

I chimed in because of a bizarre/absolute claim earlier in the thread that "the battery in a Kindle Non-Touch CANNOT be replaced - not by anyone."

Srsly? Does the poster think that not even the design engineers or manufacturer could do it? CIA fabricators? Mad scientists at MIT?

There is so much good info on MR that it's jarring to read something so easily disprovable presented with such strong conviction.
Go ahead and prove me wrong, then, if you disbelieve me .