Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast
soundsfromsound began at the beginning.

Device: none
Virtual Libraries - web?

Hello,

Is there a way to get virtual libraries to show up in the web interface? That would be handy for browsing and I was just curious if I could enable that somehow.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vl.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	109484  

Last edited by soundsfromsound; 08-16-2013 at 11:32 AM.
soundsfromsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsfromsound View Post
Is there a way to get virtual libraries to show up in the web interface? That would be handy for browsing and I was just curious if I could enable that somehow.
No you can't get virtual "libraries" on the web interface. You can specify for the Content Server to be limited to showing the contents of one VL on start up. Go to Preferences - Sharing over the net and enter a Virtual library to apply on start-up of the Content Server.

Update: I'm sort of wrong. Press the Search button in the menu and it will give you the option of your saved searches including each VL.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-16-2013 at 11:25 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

Thank you for the fast response!

Hmm, ok. Do you think it's possible (likely) to be implemented in the future? I think it'd be awesome so users could just share 'everything' and then narrow things down per virtual lib, rather than just limit what is shared in the first place.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
No you can't get virtual "libraries" on the web interface. You can specify for the Content Server to be limited to showing the contents of one VL on start up. Go to Preferences - Sharing over the net and enter a Virtual library to apply on start-up of the Content Server.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm, ok. Do you think it's possible (likely) to be implemented in the future? I think it'd be awesome so users could just share 'everything' and then narrow things down per virtual lib, rather than just limit what is shared in the first place.
I updated my previous response as follows:

Quote:
Update: I'm sort of wrong. Press the Search button in the menu and it will give you the option of your saved searches including each VL.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't follow. Search button, in the web interface? I only have a search box. And a sort option.

How do I get to that saved searched/VL option you speak of?
Sounds like what I'm after.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't follow. Search button, in the web interface? I only have a search box. And a sort option.

How do I get to that saved searched/VL option you speak of?
Sounds like what I'm after.
I'm guessing you have no saved searches or VLs setup. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	contentserver.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	109485   Click image for larger version

Name:	contentserver2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	109486  
Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

I have 3 virtual libraries, but no saved searches yet. Can you tell me the best way to save a virtual library as a "search"?
I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the relationship between search + VL.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

They're already saved as a search maybe you need to be hitting the CS with the /browse as shown in my example. Hopefully someone will drop by with details since I have too go now.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll have to wait and see because I'm not understanding, sorry.

Have a good one!

Edit:
I opened one virtual library, copied the search terms, and tried to copy those and save a search but I get an error when loading saved search from web interface:

Search: u'tags:"=music theory & composition" or tags:"=music notation" or tags:"=music"' not understood

So, even though I have virtual libraries I can't seem to get them to register as 'searches' on the web interface. Not sure what I'm missing.

Last edited by soundsfromsound; 08-16-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I recall, virtual libraries are not available in the content server. A virtual library is just a search, so you can make them available by creating a saved search.

The only interaction of virtual libraries and the content server is that you can specify that the content server should only show the books in a certain virtual library vie Preferences->Sharing over the net.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to use the search

tags:"=music theory & composition" or tags:"=music notation" or tags:"=music"

without the enclosing single quotes

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-16-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to use the search

tags:"=music theory & composition" or tags:"=music notation" or tags:"=music"

without the enclosing single quotes
Hi Kovid,

Thanks for helping me figure out the virtual library/saved search config - I appreciate it. I'll try saving a search that is the same as my VL, hopefully that'll do the trick.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

Hmm, still failing. Same error. I am copying the search terms exactly as they are from the virtual library, and making sure no single quotes exist.

The single quotes are being added in the 404 page error message, they were never part of my saved search, if that helps.

404 Not Found

Search: u'tags:"=music theory & composition" or tags:"=music notation" or tags:"=music"' not understood

What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	still fails.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	109498   Click image for larger version

Name:	result 404.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	109499  
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's probably caused by the amerpsand in the search query, open a bug report for it and attach the metadata.db file from your calibre library folder.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

I removed all ampersands and renamed virtual libraries, tags, and even created a new 'test' virtual library - sadly, none are showing up in searches from the web interface.
404 errors are returned for all.
I don't believe the ampersand is the culprit, do you know of anything else that would cause an error with virtual library/searches from the web interface?

Are users normally able to do this or is it just my database do you think?
Is there anyway to create a dedicated virtual library tab on the web interface to avoid having to create duplicate VL/searches like this? Just curious. Thanks!

Last edited by soundsfromsound; 08-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.