Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Cold Steel
Cold Steel began at the beginning.

Device: AT&T 8525
Mobipocket Problems

I've installed the latest version of Mobipocket on my AT&T 8525, and have been having nothing but problems with it. It takes forever to come up, and once it's up it fequently interferes with other programs. It also can't be removed from memory using the system tools and locks up so that it's completely inaccessible. In short, it requires a complete reset.

QUESTION: Are their any other programs out there that will read my ebook files, or are ebook files all proprietary?

I've been reading many other complaints about Mobipocket on this site. I can't believe after all the vesions that have been released that it still can't be made to work.

Thanks!
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What advice do Mobipocket support give?

I have to say that your experience is certainly not typical. The Windows MobiPocket Reader is widely regarded as a pretty good application. I have it installed myself on many computers and have experienced no problems at all.

Issues such as the ones you describe tend to be caused by buggy device drivers, such as video drivers. Have you done a Google search to see if there are any known issues with you video driver?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The AT&T 8525 is a smartphone (Windows Mobile), see AT&T 8525 (and the HTC TyTN too). Other names: Hermes, Vodafone 1605, MDA Vario II, Orange SPV M3100.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I am running the Mobipocket Pocket PC version on my pocket pc (an HP IPAQ hx2415) and have had none of the problems you describe - it works great and I've read several books with it.

I think the 8525 is a Pocket PC (and not a smartphone - a pocket pc has a touch screen & stylus and a smartphone does not). Did you recently install Mobipocket to your pocket pc? Are you running any other applications? The software does not show up under the Remove programs screen?

Last edited by ProfJulie; 12-29-2007 at 04:13 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Cold Steel
Cold Steel began at the beginning.

Device: AT&T 8525
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still having problems, but I've narrowed it down a bit. I have a lot of titles on my system, so that's why it takes a good 3-4 minutes to load from a cold boot. Once loaded, I seem to have stability problems if I run Mobile Word. The MobiPocket program becomes unresponsive and refuses to be deleted from memory. It's as if it just locks.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Mobile 7 and wonder if that would do the trick. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to try. As of now, when I turn my phone on, I just execute the MobiPocket program and then play a game of Solitaire. It usually kicks up before I can finsh the game But if run Word, I have to bail out of MobiPocket first or there will be hell to pay.

(BTW, does anyone have Mobile 7? Are there many advantages?)
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert