Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Nook Color 2 wish list

So the rumors are starting up about a new nook color 2

what do you want to see different

I would like to see

1. at least a 1gz processor
2. I think they will have to open up to the full Android Market if the The Kindle lcd ereader opens up it's Android App store

what would you like to see in the new Nook Color 2?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Noticeably lighter. I'm not personally interested in one, but would like an eReader tablet for the children. They're 9 and 11, but the current model is too heavy for small hands. I'm hoping the Amazon device will fit the bill.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Full android market
Lighter

Other than that I love the Nopk Color
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Full android market
Lighter

Other than that I love the Nopk Color

I hope they keep the User Interface as well. that is IMHO the best UI out all the ereaders out there.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
So the rumors are starting up about a new nook color 2
what do you want to see different
I would like to see
1. at least a 1gz processor
2. I think they will have to open up to the full Android Market if the The Kindle lcd ereader opens up it's Android App store
what would you like to see in the new Nook Color 2?
Way to go bowsd, your setting your expectations low. My nook color has had those features for several months now.

I would like to add a working bluetooth stack and a dual core.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Way to go bowsd, your setting your expectations low. My nook color has had those features for several months now.

I would like to add a working bluetooth stack and a dual core.
yeah I didn't want to expect the world, especially if Barnes and Noble is going to stick to their guns to keep the nook color an ereader first and tablet second.

though I wouldn't mind seeing a dual core as well
Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is my wish list
*lighter
*gorilla glass
* keep the existing micro usb design
*longer battery life
*get rid of the awful skin
* open market
*higher density capacitive screen so we dont have blind spots.
* hc 3.2
*bluetooth
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
boswd
Banned

Like all of yours except the skin, I love the UI on the nook color, I hope that remains the same.

As I said in the post above, if the kindle color reader has full access to Amazon's app store I think it would be a mistake to keep the nook's market curated. They'll have to go full blown Android Market. If so then that's a big advantage over the kindle. Much larger library of Apps.

Also I would like to see the full animated page turn like it has on it's Android app. the page curling or whatever you call it. Weird, it's on the nook app but not on the device.

Last edited by boswd; 09-06-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
I've been using CM7 on an SD card the past 4-5months and I recently updated my nookcolor to 1.3 from rooted 1.1.

Since updating, I find that I'd forgotten how much I loved the UI. It's so...polished and fancy - you can tell that someone put a lot of thought into it. I loved the magazine feature of it and the 1.3 software update has enhanced magazine features. I loved reading Time magazine on this - I wish I could read this on my nook app!

Since my nookcolor is only 6 months old and I'm seriously lacking in disposable income, I'll probably not be purchasing nookcolor 2. However, my wishlist is pretty simple and can be accomplished with the next software update:

1) True night mode - For some reason, nookcolor's night mode has a grey background instead of black. Why?
2) Landscape mode!!! - Why can I have 2 page landscape mode on my 4 inch screen phone (via the nook app) and not on my 7 inch nook color?

I find that I do a lot of reading at night and night mode is great for that. Also with landscape mode, I can use the flap of the case to balance the nook color on my stomach or my lap (the thing is heavy!). It kills me that those two features are available in the nook app but not the nook itself. What gives?
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Hi I am a Kindle 3 3G user already.
I want a touch screen for navigation. Color and back light will be good too.
So when the Amazon Color and the Nook color 2 come out, I will be picking one out for my future reader and tablet as well.

Anyway my question is:

ARE THERE ANY KNOWN SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE NOOK COLOR 2 YET?

Last edited by frahse; 09-07-2011 at 05:40 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
I've been using CM7 on an SD card the past 4-5months and I recently updated my nookcolor to 1.3 from rooted 1.1.

Since updating, I find that I'd forgotten how much I loved the UI. .. my wishlist is pretty simple and can be accomplished with the next software update:

1) True night mode - For some reason, nookcolor's night mode has a grey background instead of black. Why?
2) Landscape mode!!! - Why can I have 2 page landscape mode on my 4 inch screen phone (via the nook app) and not on my 7 inch nook color?

I find that I do a lot of reading at night and night mode is great for that. Also with landscape mode, I can use the flap of the case to balance the nook color on my stomach or my lap (the thing is heavy!). It kills me that those two features are available in the nook app but not the nook itself. What gives?
I also just love the NC UI! Landscape mode is second on my list, also.

Number 1: ability to DELETE - I know I keep harping about that on these lists, but it is a real pia for me! I would back off of the rooted part if I could just delete from the NC's UI. In fact, I'm so frustrated with the delete problem - if another ereader had a comparable screen to the NC, I'd get it! (Yes, I've tried other book apps on the CM7 side and I don't like any as well as the UI on the NC). Ok, rant off.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Why would they provide an open Android market, to let people install the Kindle app?
They are not a tablet manufacturer, they are a bookseller, and the purpose of the tablet is to sell more books.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Hi I am a Kindle 3 3G user already.
I want a touch screen for navigation. Color and back light will be good too.
So when the Amazon Color and the Nook color 2 come out, I will be picking one out for my future reader and tablet as well.
Anyway my question is:
ARE THERE ANY KNOWN SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE NOOK COLOR 2 YET?
No specs are known but a handful. And they don't seem impressive.
*7" touch screen
*color screen
* software enhancements :email, games, apps
All rumors stem from digitimes

Last edited by =X=; 09-08-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No specs are known but a handful. And they don't seem impressive.
*7" touch screen
*color screen
* software enhancements :email, games, apps
All rumors stem from digitimes
Thanks X
I tried the url, and it didn't work.

One thing I have heard is that the Nook Color 2 will have a micro SD card which will be an improvement over the "old" Kindle. So score 1 for the Nook.

Still if like someone said you get a free Prime subscription with the purchase of the new Amazon Color then that drops the supposed price of $250 to $171. That is a score for the Amazon Color. (I am already a Prime Member)

The old Nook Color had better screen resolution than the Kindle, but I expect the Amazon Color to improve there.

It is frustrating to keep hearing that these tablets will be out in September (for the Nook 2) and end of September or October for the Amazon Color and have no more details than we have.

Unless they mean that they are only going to provide specifications in that time frame and not a product, then that makes sense, except then why are they saying that both products are due out to sell for Christmas.

Actually I have been tempted to grab a HP touch pad for $99 but I have held off because I want a 7" machine.

Last edited by frahse; 09-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
allinhi/
Connoisseur
allinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook color
I would like a processor upgrade, the ability to delete files, bluetooth, improve cord connecion/ cord. Anything else would be a plus.
allinhi/ is offline   Reply With Quote