Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
calibre 0.6.17 can't convert any file

I just installed 0.6.17 in Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. Trying to convert any file format gives this:

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:attempt to write a readonly database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 141, in run
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\single.py", line 251, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 201, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1061, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1138, in set_title
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 170, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database

I'm not sure if it's the new version of calibre or my clean install of Win 7 RTM. Version 0.6.16 worked fine in Win 7 RC 7100.

Phil
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure that the directory which you chose as the calibre library is not write protected.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Make sure that the directory which you chose as the calibre library is not write protected.
It gets worse. If I try to add a file to the calibre window, I get:

WARNING: Failed to read metadata: Failed to read metadata from the following:

Macdonald, Ross - The Chill.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 92, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 137, in add
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1373, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 170, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database

Save to Disk function is broken, too.

If I run as administrator, or run in WinXP compatibility mode, major functions seem to work, but I can't drag and drop a file in the calibre window. I can only use the Add Books icon.

My calibre library is on a logical drive. Folder settings are no different than any others. In the properties tab of the folder, the Read Only box is not checked, but it's filled in. I can change it, but it reverts back to the filled in setting --- whatever that means.

I'm going to try going back to 6.16 and see if that works, or if it's Win 7 RTM causing the issues..
Old 10-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Phil_C
Addict

Well, 0.6.16 acts the same as .17. That means the problems began with the upgrade to Win 7 RTM.

To be clear, everything worked fine in Win 7 Ultimate RC 7100 x64.

The problems are in Win 7 Ultimate RTM x64.

I installed the RTM version this weekend. All other programs are functioning normally.

Which version of Win 7 are you using for test purposes?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Phil_C
Addict

More information:

Running in Vista SP2 Compatibility Mode does not solve the issues.

Running in XP SP3 mode does --- with the annoying exception of being unable to drag and drop files into the calibre window.

The general release of Win 7 is October 22. I suspect these issues will affect a lot of people shortly after that. Your help in fixing this will be appreciated. Thanks.

Phil
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Where is the library folder located?

Also when you installed the RTM release was it as a clean install or as an upgrade?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Thumbs up

I am running win07 ult. 32 bit and have been since beta and now rtm and I am not having any issues with calibre at all.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Phil_C
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Where is the library folder located?

Also when you installed the RTM release was it as a clean install or as an upgrade?
The calibre library is on my H: drive. I have several logical drives on an extended partition, a setup I have been using for years.

I did a complete clean install on Friday and installed all of my programs over the next two days. I did use the Windows Easy Transfer utility to transfer my settings from the RC, which saved a lot of time. So far, there have been no issues with anything else.

The previous OS was Win 7 RC 7100 --- also 64-bit --- and had no issues. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, gone back to calibre .16 with no luck, and am now back on .17.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Phil_C
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I am running win07 ult. 32 bit and have been since beta and now rtm and I am not having any issues with calibre at all.

Chuck
That would seem to indicate something going on with x64 Ultimate, although the x64 RC was fine.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Phil_C
Addict

Fixed!

Here is the strange solution to my problem:

I moved my library to a different logical drive, then ran the calibre Welcome Wizard to point it to the new location. Interestingly, the Wizard gave an error about the folder not existing, and crashed --- but found the library on the next start. Everything worked right at that point.

I then repeated the entire process, moving the library back to its original location on H: (and got the same Wizard error). But once again calibre found the library on the next start.

Everything appears to be working fine. Very weird. But now I can go back to enjoying Kovid's program.

Oh, and I'm no longer running in compatibility mode.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by Phil_C; 10-11-2009 at 09:06 PM.