Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Willmerson
Willmerson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
My PRS-505 Wont turn on No. 2

Hi guys,

I have had my Reader for 2 weeks now. Everything was going well. Iwas using it with no problems and on a daily basis. I left it without use for about 4 days with a new Memorystick Duo in it and when I went back to use it, no power via the switch.

I plugged it into the USB and it took the computer about 20 minutes to recognize the reader, but when I disconnected it (the right way) it was not reading the memory stick. Plus, when I opened some .txt files they take a very very long time.

I was reading through one book and decided to go to bed and tried to switch off the reader at which point it froze on the page I was reading and would not turn off. Next day plugged it into the USB again and it took longer to recognize. I tried to do a soft reset and it would not take. Not with a pin push and power slide immediately after so no luck with the 10X reset. Because the reader then wouldnt respond I tried to do a hard reset which got me to where I am. No response from the reader at all.

I plugged it into a PSP charger (which I bought fdor just this purpose) and no lights, no response. Now it seems to be a dead weight. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

-Will
Willmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
PSP barrel connector, not USB? Should give you a red led on the top by the power switch? Do you get anything there. Should get a yellow when sliding power after the reset too.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Willmerson

No lights whatsoever when plugged into anything. PSP barrel plug or USB. No lights after reset. In fact reset doesnt work. Power switch will not switch on either.

BUT....Plugged in over night, then plugged into USB. The power came on and started up, but then it would not turn off with the power switch. Next time this happens is there something I should do to Unbrick it? It has the latest update, but maybe the firmware flash should be done?

-Will
Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Willmerson

BUMP!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34636

After recharging, try a reset, then toggle the power switch.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
Willmerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34636

After recharging, try a reset, then toggle the power switch.
You linked this Post!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I meant to link this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrellp View Post
I do not believe you can use the PSP charger to charge the Sony eBook.
The PSP is a 5amp charger while the eBook is 5.2
It's just a con to get you to pay another £25 for the bespoke Sony charger.

Paul.
Oh, Burrellp --- don't be so cynical.

Yes the PSP AC Adaptor clearly says "5V" on it and the Sony says "5.2V" on it next to the charger hole. But I've been charging my Sony Reader with the PSP Adaptor for many months now and it works well. Other users have had the same experience. My PSP AC Adaptor cost less that $10US in Thailand and other folk have posted about similarly cheap alternatives available on eBay.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader

Forum members have seen Sony staff using the PSP charger for readers. It works very well.

Tags
dead, prs-505, troubleshooting, unresponsive