Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #46
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Is that the recent/new HD6?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:36 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Is that the recent/new HD6?
It's the only HD6. It was released in 2014.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #48
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
My HD6 updated to 4.5.5.1 on January 22. I received the letter regarding the upcoming OS 5 update on my carousel the first week of January.

I expect 5.1.1 will arrive on my tablet within the next week or so since others are getting it now. I'm not sure I really want it since I'm happy with the current OS, but I suppose I'll adjust to the changes.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #49
connie2000
Connoisseur
connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire HD 6", PW2, sony 950, Fire Phone, kindle fire HDX 9, Huawei Mate
I like the old operating system better than the 5.1.1. Guess I'm just ungrateful.
connie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #50
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I guess it'll get here when it gets here. At least there is some movement now.

I don't think I'll care either way, unless of course something is faster. Faster is always good. . Not having a lot of issues with my HD6 on that front though.
I actually like the carousel, but it hasn't been properly working for me. It doesn't seem to put stuff on it always as I use it and keeps losing its mind as in starts from scratch all the time anyway.
I usually have it swiped up to list the favorites. I wish the docs weren't so separated from the books. Its more integrated on my Voyage.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #51
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Can anyone who has the new os decribe the changes? TIA!
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
If the HD6 had 4.5.5.1, then it is most likely that the 4.5.5.1 is an "OOPS" fix so Bellini can be installed.

From what I'm noticed, the USA is just about always the LAST place that get new updates of the Android OS. Heck, even new tablet models are available in Europe before the US.....
4.5.5.1 has at least one bug fix, so it is not just cosmetic, but yes, Amazon (or perhaps Android) does seem to require updates to proceed in a particular sequence (fewer scenarios to test). I just experienced this over the weekend with a refurbished Fire Phone that started on 3.6.something and it took 3 updates to get it to the current version, 4.6.6.1.

I have installed the 4.5.5.1 update so my HD6 is ready for the big show. (It fixed the one remaining Stagefright issue.)

Last edited by tomsem; 02-01-2016 at 05:09 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #53
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I received the update 5.1.1 on my Fire HD7 on 2/3/2016. I was not a fan of carousel, so very much like that it went away. Definitely much more "android" like and less Kindle specific. I like to customize and there is now an ability to change wallpaper, though the choices are mostly yuck. You cannot remove the Amazon specific icons off the home screen (used to be "favorites") any longer...at least I haven't found a way. I've moved the ones I don't use to the bottom of the grid for now. The blue shade looks weird, but has some customizing options and looks better in the dark than in daylight. Overall, I'm very happy with the update.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #54
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post
I received the update 5.1.1 on my Fire HD7 on 2/3/2016. I was not a fan of carousel, so very much like that it went away. Definitely much more "android" like and less Kindle specific. I like to customize and there is now an ability to change wallpaper, though the choices are mostly yuck. You cannot remove the Amazon specific icons off the home screen (used to be "favorites") any longer...at least I haven't found a way. I've moved the ones I don't use to the bottom of the grid for now. The blue shade looks weird, but has some customizing options and looks better in the dark than in daylight. Overall, I'm very happy with the update.
Home used to be arranged 'vertically' with Carousel at the top, 'Favorites' could extend down to hold as many favorites as you like. With the redesign, it should be like standard Android, i.e., favorites can extend to left and right. So you should be able to move them off the 'Home' favorites and onto another panel, or even into a folder of their own.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #55
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Problem with Fire OS 5 Update - Fire HD6

I just got the update for my Fire HD6, and it's been a pain. I use the custom sort option within Collections for my books, and before this update, it worked like a charm. I had my collections set up on my iPad, my books sorted to my liking within the collections, and when I got the HD6, everything went where it was supposed to go, no problem. Books added since last year all went where they were supposed to go on both tablets. Perfect sync.

Since the update, it doesn't sync on the Fire. The collections are there, the books are in the collections, but the custom order reverts to chaos after sync. If I re-sort the books in the Fire collections, they still revert to chaos after I close the Kindle app and go back. Yikes!

I'm tempted to revert back to the previous Fire OS, but I don't have time this week to set up the non-Amazon library apps (3M and Axis 360).

Anyone else see this or am I nuts?

Plumadona

Last edited by Plumadona; 02-08-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Needs better title
Old 02-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Do the collections now have sorting options of any kind? I generally prefer Recent sort order, but HD6 makes you do 'manual' (or 'custom') sort. Ideally it would have both auto-sort options and 'keep it in this order' option.

Still waiting for it to show up on my HD6...
Old 02-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #57
Plumadona
Groupie

It has most recent, title, author, reverse, and custom. The latter definitely doesn't work (I've been in contact with Amazon), but the rest seem okay.

Plumadona
Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
It has most recent, title, author, reverse, and custom. The latter definitely doesn't work (I've been in contact with Amazon), but the rest seem okay.

Plumadona
Well, two steps forward, one back then. With any luck, Amazon will fix Custom, though actually a Random sort order would be interesting (I think I've seen an option to 'open random' when you shake the device with some reading app somewhere).

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #59
Plumadona
Groupie

More fun with OS 5

Just finished a long chat session with Tech Support. We went over all the usual fixes (restart, factory reset etc.). There's no doubt that custom sorts within a collection won't hold. Once you put the Fire to sleep or shut down, the sort within the collection reverts to recently added.

After a factory reset, other issues popped up. Docs that are put into collections do not show up in that collection unless they are downloaded. I have a lot of books and docs, and it seemed that some docs also had to be resent to the Fire, i.e., they didn't show up on the Docs listing. (I'm sure about the docs not showing in collections unless downloaded; could be mistaken about the second, but have no energy to check through a large group.)

Bottom line - if you do any custom sorting in your collections, OS 5 will cause problems. If you have collections with Docs in them, you wont't see them unless you download them. I think most people won't find this an issue, but it's back to OS 4 for me.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #60
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not using my HD6 much of late, so it is okay if Fire OS 5 has some issues. I'll definitely complain about the docs in collections issue, though. It's annoying that after all this time since they introduced Cloud Collections, they keep coming up with new ways to mess them up, and Fire devices seem to be consistently more problematic than the iOS and Android apps.