Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #76
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Instructions on how to install a custom dictionary on your Kobo can be found in the README of the GitHub repo: https://github.com/pettarin/penelope
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #77
123kajote
123kajote began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Instructions on how to install a custom dictionary on your Kobo can be found in the README of the GitHub repo: https://github.com/pettarin/penelope
I've done that,... and it worked.... until I choose Update Kobo,... then this "faked" file was overwritten with original update....

So, if you want to have your own dictionary never choose update Kobo....
123kajote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #78
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I updated the README, adding a note about the firmware updates and suggesting to keep a copy of the custom dictionaries somewhere else, thank you.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:01 AM   #79
tatung2112
tatung2112 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have used Penelope to convert a stardict dictionary English - Vietnamese for Kobo (attachment). However, when I use this dictionary on Kobo Glo (3.3.0), the font for Vietnamese seems not to be right. I think I need to change font of dictionary in Kobo but I don't know how to do it. Does anyone know how to change font of dictionary?
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-vi.zip (13.92 MB, 772 views)
tatung2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #80
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

As far as I know, there is no way to embed a font inside a Kobo dictionary, for the reader/app to use it when displaying the dictionary definition.

Hence, all you have is the default "Kobo" font: if it does not have glyphs for certain (or even all) Vietnamese characters, you are out of luck.

(Maybe custom firmwares do have the possibility of changing the dictionary font --- I do not know for sure, try searching the Kobo Developer part of this forum.)

I have tried reaching the Kobo devs several times, asking them for the dictionary format documentation and official support for custom dictionaries, but with zero results.

===

Is the dictionary linked above still usable? Would you like me to list it in the index in the first post?
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #81
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
One question? Can Penelope convert stardict dictionary with synonym *.syn file?
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #82
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Yes, it can convert them, but I guess what you meant was "Is Penelope taking into account the .syn file inside a StarDict dictionary?", to which the answer is no.

I acknowledge this could be a nice feature, but I have never come across to one such dictionary (legally available for free). Do you have a link?

BTW, the code of Penelope is on GitHub under the terms of the MIT license ( https://github.com/pettarin/penelope ): unfortunately I do not have time to work on it, but anyone willing to implement new features, write documentation, etc. is welcome to join the project.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #83
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Well, I don't have yet a dictionary with .syn file but I was going to make one. Or at least try to make as I found a base file to work on.

Another thing I forgot to ask (and asked for it already a year back or so). Is it possible to merge two dictionaries (english-english and english-polish) to create something like english-english-polish dictionary? It would work in a way that after english definition for a word there would be polish translation of it (of course only if there would be a translation for the word in eng-pol dictionary).

And another. Let's say that I have two or three different polish dictionaries and I want to join them into one. Is it possible?

Sadly, as I don't know Python I can't help with work on Penelope.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #84
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
Well, I don't have yet a dictionary with .syn file but I was going to make one. Or at least try to make as I found a base file to work on.
OK. My comment was along this line: as I have never seen a StarDict with a .syn dictionary, I decided not to spend time on that. BTW, if it is a simple feature to add (it should), I might give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
Another thing I forgot to ask (and asked for it already a year back or so). Is it possible to merge two dictionaries (english-english and english-polish) to create something like english-english-polish dictionary? It would work in a way that after english definition for a word there would be polish translation of it (of course only if there would be a translation for the word in eng-pol dictionary).

And another. Let's say that I have two or three different polish dictionaries and I want to join them into one. Is it possible?
Yes, Penelope supports merging more input dictionaries into one, provided that all the input dictionaries have the same format. For example:

Code:
$ python penelope.py -p "bar,foo,zam" -f pl -t pl --output-kobo
will join "bar", "foo" and "zam" into dicthtml-pl.zip. (As usual, remove the dictionary extensions.)

The above will create a separate dictionary entry for each dictionary entry in any input dictionary:

Dict 1: "word" => "definition of word in dictionary 1"
Dict 2: "word" => "definition of word in dictionary 2"
Dict 3: "word" => "definition of word in dictionary 3"

Merged dictionary will have three entries for "word":
"word" => "definition of word in dictionary 1"
"word" => "definition of word in dictionary 2"
"word" => "definition of word in dictionary 3"

If you want to merge the definitions:

Merged dictionary:
"word" => "definition of word in dictionary 1 | definition of word in dictionary 2 | definition of word in dictionary 3"

you must write a custom parser for that; for example, you can adapt this one: https://github.com/pettarin/penelope...ster_parser.py and use the --parser option:

Code:
$ python penelope.py -p "bar,foo,zam" -f pl -t pl --parser customparser.py --output-kobo

Last edited by AlPe; 03-19-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #85
mietek81
Connoisseur

Ok, this is nice
So first option would be great if I would like to merge for example dictionary and encyclopedia, second one for merging two different polish dictionaries
Old 03-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #86
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
OK. My comment was along this line: as I have never seen a StarDict with a .syn dictionary, I decided not to spend time on that. BTW, if it is a simple feature to add (it should), I might give it a shot.
I've created some stardict dictionaries with syns. It's curious, in the stardict specs they discourage to point inflected forms to the same definition in the main index and use the syn. I wonder if the dictionaries avoid that recommendation or they duplicate the entry increasing the dictionary size.

If you want an example of a functional stardict with syn i can send it to you.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #87
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Good. Next week I will be traveling, so I will have some "spare" time to spend on the merging / synonyms thing.

Sure, a StarDict with .syn file will save me some time to build an example. If you do not mind, you can send it to me via email (or dropbox/gdrive/etc link): my email is here: http://www.albertopettarin.it/contact.html or PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #88
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Good. Next week I will be traveling, so I will have some "spare" time to spend on the merging / synonyms thing.

Sure, a StarDict with .syn file will save me some time to build an example. If you do not mind, you can send it to me via email (or dropbox/gdrive/etc link): my email is here: http://www.albertopettarin.it/contact.html or PM.
I send you an email to the contact adress in your web. It's a bilingual dictionary english-spanish with syn, resource file with images (i don't know if kobo support images like kindle or stardict dictionaries...). The problem is that i don't get the resource files working with goldendict/stardict/colordict but i did'nt do too many tests, so i included the images in a res carpet that it's the other way to distribute resource files with stardict dictionaries.

elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #89
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi

Can somebody please help my convert dictionary english-hebrew for kobo.

there an [ERORR].
"File en_he.ifo not found or withe worng format.Aborting"

thanks.

Oren

english-hebrew.rar

Last edited by oren64; 03-26-2015 at 07:15 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #90
rmreader
rmreader began at the beginning.

Hi orren64,

I've converted the file. I got a few errors, so I'm not sure if this works. Please report back if it works. Then Alberto can add it to the list.

Kind regards,
Ruud
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-he.zip (5.51 MB, 603 views)
rmreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo dictionaries