Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Patuba
Patuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Inserting a blank page in Kindle ebook.

I have a quick question. I have been converting a book to an ebook in mobi format. The author would like me to insert blank pages into the ebook so there is separation between sections. I have used <mbp: pagebreak /> to separate the sections but if I use <mbp: pagebreak /><mbp: pagebreak /> it doesn't force a blank page.

Is there a way to make it display a blank page or does mobi not support blank pages?

Thank you.

Last edited by Patuba; 07-15-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Patuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Tell your author that blank pages in ebooks are a distraction and cause extra button pushing, thus battery usage. The acceptable format is for the new section to start on a newpage, thus it will be the top of the page. Since we do not see two pages, a blank page is not necessary.

IMO

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Patuba
Patuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I agree that adding a blank page seems like a waste but is it possible to do it?
Patuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Hmm. I've never had the need. Let's see. What if you put some whitespace in between <mbpagebreak />'s (e.g., &nbsp; or <br/>, or some white graphic; or or some white innocuous text). Better yet, you could put some decorative graphic or illustration so that readers wouldn't think that the book is broken or misformatted (that's what I would think if I saw a blank page).
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Easy... just add the text "This page intentionally left blank", then a new section break. :-)

Or... avoid blank pages that'll make people think that there's something wrong with the book.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert