Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
sarah11918
Edge User

Photosharing sites with the edge

So one of the things I've been having trouble doing on the edge as opposed to the laptop is uploading photos to my online photo albums. Just thought I'd share my progress so far, and if anyone is already doing this and has better ideas, let me know.

I've given up on Picasa. It's not going to work. That's my extensive collection of albums, and I have to decide whether to consider moving forward with a different service. But until then, I thought I'd at least try to see what else is out there.

I went to Flickr, but it requires a Yahoo! account, and I'm not desperate enough to do that yet. I know I still need a site specific account for any other service, but Yahoo! and I have unresolved issues.

I'm now onto Snapfish where I've had a sort of success:
_ Upload from website is disabled for this browser/device but they do have an email to upload option.
- Emailing, though, puts photos in a "default" Folder. I figured no problem, surely I can go online and organize photos that are already there
-I've managed to email myself a photo and have it show up in the default emailed-in folder, but adding a new folder requires flash, and seems to assume that you'll want to upload (why else would you want to create a new folder?) And takes you to the non-functional (because you don't have flash) upload a photo link
-So, I have a photo, sitting in the default album, and I can grab a link to share it:

So let's see how that worked. The success is only in getting a picture online because it doesn't look like I'll be able to actually create/organize albums from here. (Yes, I could do that stuff while I'm on a computer, but then I'd just use my Picasa software. I'm trying to see what can be done exclusively from the edge.) Also, the SNapfish site is extremely slow, so it's annoying to be on. Though, if I can't do anything on the site anyway, they do have a mobile version. As long as I can get the share link from there, I can do pretty much everything I can do on the full site.

Next I'm going to try photobucket and if I still can't get organization, I'll check ouT twitpic, because at least there I can have captions.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

...and it turns out the link didn't even work anyway!

Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
So one of the things I've been having trouble doing on the edge as opposed to the laptop is uploading photos to my online photo albums. Just thought I'd share my progress so far, and if anyone is already doing this and has better ideas, let me know.

I've given up on Picasa. It's not going to work. That's my extensive collection of albums, and I have to decide whether to consider moving forward with a different service. But until then, I thought I'd at least try to see what else is out there.
You can use Picasa in several ways, 1st way is to enable email uploads - info here http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...y?answer=83342

2nd there are several apps that work great - Picasa Tool - with batch uploading
and PixelPipe, which can post to several sites.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
sarah11918
Edge User

OK, latest update: Photobucket works well, but I'm still having trouble with albums and organizing.

But, I found the app PixelPipes that has successfully allowed me to upload a photo to Picasa, even specifying the album! (Except, I have to know the exact name of the album or it will just create a new one. But I'll consider that a minor annoyance for now.)

The problem is the app is reeeeeeeeally slow. It's so slow that I swear it's crashed or didn't register a click, so I click something again, which actually does half crash it (not responding box shows up, but if I click wait it's usually fine).

I don't know whether this is a setting that can be changed, but also if I specify a new (non-existing) album name at the point of upload, the album is created as private. The problem here is that if I can't edit my albums online to make a private one public, then I can't use the edge to make this photo viewable, although I can get it into Picasa and into an album. I'll have to try that next.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
sarah11918
Edge User

Thanks cheyenne, It must be because I'm not on the market that I can't see any apps other than PixelPipe. And I just need to verify that I can edit the album online, and it would be good enough. I would deal with it being slow and the apparent crashes.

Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Picasa tool is fast and sends to a folder titled Drop Box, almost instantly.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
sarah11918
Edge User

Well, I can't change the album properties from the edge, and of course, since I haven't cracked open the laptop, I didn't realize I could just enable by email from right in Picasa. D'oh! Thanks for that, I'm sure it wil help immensely! To the laptop it is.

I haven't gone through the steps yet to figure out how to get apps not in the official market, so I haven't seen Picasa Tools. Maybe I'll look for an apk file.