Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #61
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
My Analog sub just ran out and I was going to renew - now I need to find another option that allows me to buy a sub in a lump sum like FW used to do.

I had been a big FW fan and spent lots of money there. No longer.

Oh well. It was good while it lasted.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I have, too, so it'll be interesting to compare responses (or lack of) ....
I've received a Response from Fictionwise. If I strip the salutation and signature text, the entire response is:

"I'm sorry but we are not offering subscriptions at this time. Please use the single issue purchase option."

Which tells us no more than we knew already. My actual question, after noting the absence of subscriptions in the store, was "Will they come back at some point, or are they gone for good?" to which this isn't an answer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
My Analog sub just ran out and I was going to renew - now I need to find another option that allows me to buy a sub in a lump sum like FW used to do.

I had been a big FW fan and spent lots of money there. No longer.

Oh well. It was good while it lasted.
I can't find anywhere that offers a good subscription deal at the moment. The Kindle 'subscription' is just a way to pay single issue prices without buying them manually.

I hope Dell Magazines starts offering subs directly - I'd much rather pay them than a middle-man.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #64
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've received a Response from Fictionwise. If I strip the salutation and signature text, the entire response is:

"I'm sorry but we are not offering subscriptions at this time. Please use the single issue purchase option."

Which tells us no more than we knew already. My actual question, after noting the absence of subscriptions in the store, was "Will they come back at some point, or are they gone for good?" to which this isn't an answer.
Did you seriously think they WOULD tell you? That would be tantamount to them telling you months/weeks/days in advance that they are actually going to shut down & screw everyone over!

Face it, we won't know it, until it actually happens. Just take serious the writing on the walls & do what you have to to spend down your Micropay. Mine is down to 21 cents.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #65
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know if FictionWise can go bankrupt, since they are now a part of B&N, but micropay balances are worthless if they ever do go bankrupt.

If they simply close down, then I assume they will give some notice to allow the spending of micropay balances on ebooks. Even so, I spent most of mine last weekend just in case.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #66
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
This thread just reminded me to go over there and cancel all my email notifications, thanks! It was just getting too depressing getting emails all the time from them, with nothing worth buying...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #67
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Is this something new this week: no more 5% discount if you purchase books on Monday? I no longer see that option today.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #68
Gummby
Enthusiast
Gummby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, GEB1150, Treo 680
Eliminating Buywise and subscriptions could be done for at least a couple of reasons. The first could be economic - as Fictionwise is making less money overall, they may have to eliminate discounts to cope. The magazines were such a good deal - I'm kicking myself for not subscribing. Ah, well.

The other reason they could be eliminating these things could be as part of an orderly wind-up. You don't want to continue taking on long-term obligations if your plan is ultimately to shut down.

I'm afraid that the latter may be the case. Which means that it would be a good time (if you haven't done so) to download everything from your bookshelf, and for multi-format in whatever format(s) you want to maintain it in. I'm hoping they'll be around long enough to get my books onto my new phone (Droid or iPhone).

I'd also like to add that it's good to see people coming to the defense of Fictionwise. No one gets things right all the time, and this has been a particularly frustrating time for a variety of reasons.

I hope I'm wrong - I like Fictionwise, particularly the stuff that isn't available elsewhere, such as short stories. I've seen a lot of hate poured onto Fictionwise lately, particularly about price and lack of discounts, but if they go under, it takes the largest source of DRM-free stuff with it. The "Death Knell of Fictionwise" simultaneously reinforces industry-wide DRM.

I'm off to make sure the 179 items in my bookshelf are properly downloaded and archived.
Gummby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #69
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
"I'm off to make sure the 179 items in my bookshelf are properly downloaded and archived. "

Good idea, I do that occasionally anyway - and then I noticed that those that were purchased some while ago are no longer available to me cos of geo-restrictiveness....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #70
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
"I'm off to make sure the 179 items in my bookshelf are properly downloaded and archived. "

Good idea, I do that occasionally anyway - and then I noticed that those that were purchased some while ago are no longer available to me cos of geo-restrictiveness....
All properly downloaded and backup-ed... I too had some trouble downloading some books due to added geo-sillyness...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #71
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mmmm forgot that - bulk downloads are restricted to 100 (problem is which 100 .... grrrrr)
Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 AM   #72
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
mmmm forgot that - bulk downloads are restricted to 100 (problem is which 100 .... grrrrr)
first half first, second second?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #73
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
It's even harder to do with 1256 items on the bookshelf....

But the idea of re-downloading all one's multiformat in a preferred format is a good one. I have them all as Mobipocket at the moment, but as ePub will probably be better for future conversions.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #74
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
I would ask for your money back on those books that you purchased that are now unavailable to you.

Diesel refunded my unavailable purchases when I discovered they had been geo restricted after I purchased them and after the Agency 5 machinations.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #75
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's even harder to do with 1256 items on the bookshelf....

But the idea of re-downloading all one's multiformat in a preferred format is a good one. I have them all as Mobipocket at the moment, but as ePub will probably be better for future conversions.

done that too, except it won't work on DRM'd books ..... they are locked into their original download format ....