Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Does Safari work on the Kindle?

The kindle 2 sleeker look and better e-ink screen has me wanting. The tipping point would be having access to Safari. So has anyone got Safari library working on the Kindle?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Ive never heard of putting safari on a reader before. That would be kinda cool. Not sure if its possible or not.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
The kindle 2 sleeker look and better e-ink screen has me wanting. The tipping point would be having access to Safari. So has anyone got Safari library working on the Kindle?
I'm trying it now with my Kindle 1 and it's not looking good. I'm not able to get beyond the home page with the browser in either the Advanced or Basic mode.

Is there a mobile version of the site?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Nope, it doesn't work. Would be nice though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I certainly can't get it to work on the k1. But like Bob said it would be sweet. maybe a firmware update in the future? haha ... yea right. They're scaling back features. not adding new ones in.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post
I certainly can't get it to work on the k1. But like Bob said it would be sweet. maybe a firmware update in the future? haha ... yea right. They're scaling back features. not adding new ones in.
I assume you have the browser set to advanced mode and have javascript enabled?

I think they use Flash.. don't they? If that's the case, I doubt it will ever work. The Kindle browser is just basic HTML/Javascript support.

BOb
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
See my post above. I tried Advanced and Basic modes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
See my post above. I tried Advanced and Basic modes.
Ah... of course you did. Missed that.

I was pretty sure I tried this quite a while back. A user even gave the there credentials to test and I couldn't log in.

Anyone tried this on an iPhone/iPod Touch? I know it doesn't support flash either, but I hear they are working on it.

BOb
Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon has the web browser under the experimental features. Hopefully they upgraded the web browser for the kindle 2.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Amazon has the web browser under the experimental features. Hopefully they upgraded the web browser for the kindle 2.
Are you confusing "Run Safari" with use the Apple Safari browser? The tread title is a bit misleading if you don't know that Safari is an online book shelf that allows you to access O'Riley and other books via a web browser.

I doubt amazon did much to the build in browser. If they did it would be on the K1 now too.

BOb
Old 02-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
cyan
Connoisseur

I meant the O'Reilly online book shelf. I forgot that Safari is also a web browser on the mac.
I guess the chance of Amazon enhancing the built in web browser to handle rendering more complex websites is pretty slim.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
halrivers
halrivers began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
As a potential publisher on kindle, I was very frustrated when I registered and was supposed to be led to the dashboard where uploads begin, but I kept being sent back to the sign in page. spent hours searching for an answer. Turned out Safari Browser was the problem. When I tried on Firefox, not problem.
halrivers is offline   Reply With Quote