Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Kobo and Calibre

Hi. I have had my Kobo for about 2 weeks and love it but I have come across a book I want that is only available from Amazon or B&N. Since they call them "nookbooks" instead of eBooks, I had a nasty suspicion they might only work on Nooks. That seems to be true. It was a pre-order so they kindly and promptly cancelled my order.

So, my question is, I want this book, will Calibre convert it for me (I believe it is a DRM thing, though)? I am only using Adobe Digital Editions thus far. Also, will it be simple to switch the book I bought off Smashwords and my Gutenberg and feebook books to Calibre and is Calibre all I would need or do I still need ADE? Thanks!
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I want this book, will Calibre convert it for me (I believe it is a DRM thing, though)?
No, calibre converts non-DRM books.

Quote:
is Calibre all I would need or do I still need ADE?
You still would need ADE to read DRM books on your PC, and you'll need it for borrowing books from the library.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
No, calibre converts non-DRM books.

You still would need ADE to read DRM books on your PC, and you'll need it for borrowing books from the library.
That is disappointing. I won't bother with Calibre, then. I'll never buy from B&N again. I may pick up the paperback of the book at BAM, which does not have the eBook but does have the pb for preorder.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
No point in blaming Calibre for converting DRM'ed ebooks as removing such DRM violates copyright, no matter how "right" it is to remove it.

However that said and done, it is a fairly simple matter to add such plugins should you wish to go down that path. Google is your friend in that regard.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
No point in blaming Calibre for converting DRM'ed ebooks as removing such DRM violates copyright, no matter how "right" it is to remove it.

However that said and done, it is a fairly simple matter to add such plugins should you wish to go down that path. Google is your friend in that regard.
I don't blame Calibre but I had heard people sing its praises so was a bit disappointed. Since I still need ADE for my library books, I'll just stick with that. I don't want to go into the stripping DRM thing. Seems complicated. I have to admit I am not very sure what a "script" or a "plugin" even is. I am technically proficient enough to have gotten my Kobo set up without much fuss and quickly got eBooks from several sources (Gutenberg, Feedbooks, Smashwords, Kobo, my library) on it but I'm not going to stick my neck out trying to do something I probably won't be able to do anyway.

I'm just bitter because I knew Amazon was like that, you see, but I didn't know B&N was like that. Anyway, I'll just get the paperback of that book I want for now and hope I don't run into this too much. Thanks.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 03-23-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
You can still use Calibre to maintain a DRM enabled ebook library. However you cannot convert formats.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
You can still use Calibre to maintain a DRM enabled ebook library. However you cannot convert formats.
I may try it out but would there be problems with using 2 programs, ADE and Calibre? I guess the only way to find out is to try.

Anyway, I'll just get the trade paperback of my book.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I may try it out but would there be problems with using 2 programs, ADE and Calibre? I guess the only way to find out is to try.

Anyway, I'll just get the trade paperback of my book.
There's no problems using both ADE and Calibre - although to be safe I would only use one program at a time when connecting to your Kobo (i.e. use ADE, eject, let device load any books, then plug in and use Calibre and eject).

B&N uses a different encryption then Kobo so if you don't want to strip DRM, you can't read them on the Kobo. You can buy from Sony - you could check with them if they have the epub you are looking for.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Thanks, everyone. Calibre does seem far superior to ADE just from my first brief use of it this morning. I got BBC news on my Kobo now.

ADE, since I have been using it, has been giving be duplicate, error files of several books on my Kobo, as opposed to my ADE library. I don't have a lot on there yet so I just delete them. This could be a problem when I get more books. Any ideas on that? I know it is an ADE question and not Calibre.