Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #61
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
And you are presuming to tell me that I feel eye strain. You know nothing of what I feel so kindly stop making assumptions when it comes to me. You're experience with the device is NOT indicative of everyone's experience.

I read on it for hours, I do not feel the eye strain. Deal with it.

I come from an I.T. background and LCD has never bothered my eyes even after hours of staring at it.

Get it through your head already, your reaction to it will not be the same for everyone. Stop acting like you have the final word on what works for different people. Your results with the Nook Color are NOT the be all end all.
?????
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #62
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Device: none
I went to Best Buy today. I went to the only one in my area that SAID it had the Sony 950 in stock on their website. It didn't. It didn't even have a demo model out. I spent quite a bit of time there and I tried the Kindle 3, the Sony 350 (to try the interface, etc.) and the nook. I ended up walking out with the nook. I have until the end of January to return it with no restocking fees so I'll see how I like it. It was comfortable, I liked the ergonomics of it, and it felt right in my hand. The Kindle did NOT feel comfortable. The page forward button was at an awkward angle for how I was holding it. Now to be fair, it's possible that was due to the massive security device on the back. But I could tell it would cause thumb pain (which I am prone to). I know I initially said I wanted the ePub, but I figured I would try it out anyway since it was there. They were sold out but they did have the demo model out. The Sony touchscreen was nice, but I didn't like other things about it and I decided in the end I just couldn't justify spending THAT much money. The nook was more in a realistic price range for me. I got a nice cover, a light, and the nook for $30 for buying together.

I did not notice a huge difference in page turn times or ink darkness between the three, so I went purely on price and feel. If I don't like it in a few weeks I'll return it and try again.
mnfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #63
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfe View Post
I went to Best Buy today. I went to the only one in my area that SAID it had the Sony 950 in stock on their website. It didn't. It didn't even have a demo model out. I spent quite a bit of time there and I tried the Kindle 3, the Sony 350 (to try the interface, etc.) and the nook. I ended up walking out with the nook. I have until the end of January to return it with no restocking fees so I'll see how I like it. It was comfortable, I liked the ergonomics of it, and it felt right in my hand. The Kindle did NOT feel comfortable. The page forward button was at an awkward angle for how I was holding it. Now to be fair, it's possible that was due to the massive security device on the back. But I could tell it would cause thumb pain (which I am prone to). I know I initially said I wanted the ePub, but I figured I would try it out anyway since it was there. They were sold out but they did have the demo model out. The Sony touchscreen was nice, but I didn't like other things about it and I decided in the end I just couldn't justify spending THAT much money. The nook was more in a realistic price range for me. I got a nice cover, a light, and the nook for $30 for buying together.

I did not notice a huge difference in page turn times or ink darkness between the three, so I went purely on price and feel. If I don't like it in a few weeks I'll return it and try again.
When you say Nook, is Nook 1st generation?

My old Nook with most recent firmware was turning pages at almost same speed than Kindle 3.

I honestly do not feel any pain or discomfort using the Kindle 3 and I believe the buttons are properly located but ergonomics is something really subjective.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #64
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Yes, the nook 1st gen. The Kindle buttons are probably fine for most people, but I have very loose joints in my hands and the base of my thumb is especially sensitive with how I use it, especially over long periods of time. With the bezel buttons I can put pressure in a little further from the edge so it is angled better or use the touch strip to turn pages.

If I don't like it in a month, I'll return it and get the nook Color or the Sony once it's back in stock (assuming the price drop stays permanent after the holidays)
Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #65
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Yeah after v. 1.5 update, the text on the nook is now bolder and IMHO just about on par with the new Pearl Ink screen.

Also dont forget on the nook when the lcd screen goes dark when reading you can finger swipe across the dark lcd sceen with light graze and that will also turn the pages. I love that feature gives it a more natural flow when reading. Takes a couple of tries to get a rhythm down but once you do its very natural.

Youll like that alot i suspect.

Last edited by boswd; 12-17-2010 at 09:52 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #66
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I love the finger swipe on the Nook as well. I also wasn't comfortable using the buttons on either the K3 or the Sonys. At least the Sonys can swipe, but when laying in bed on my side I tend to like the buttons.

When you go to Settings, it will tell you what software it is running. If it is 1.5 you are up to date. If not when you connect to a wifi hotspot it should update.

Buying one like you did is the best way to see what you'll like best. It gives you enough time to actually know if you like or dislike the reader. Good luck with it, and if you have any questions come over to the Nook forum!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #67
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I love the finger swipe on the Nook as well. I also wasn't comfortable using the buttons on either the K3 or the Sonys. At least the Sonys can swipe, but when laying in bed on my side I tend to like the buttons.

When you go to Settings, it will tell you what software it is running. If it is 1.5 you are up to date. If not when you connect to a wifi hotspot it should update.

Buying one like you did is the best way to see what you'll like best. It gives you enough time to actually know if you like or dislike the reader. Good luck with it, and if you have any questions come over to the Nook forum!

that last part of your post is spot on. I've noticed a common theme on this forums and others. People who buy the nook at first can get a little frustrated with it or what have not but as time goes on and they start to get to know it and such they end up LOVING it.

I've had smart phones since the first iPhone so this was childs play to learn for me, but I can see if someone who isn't use to touch screen navigation where it can seem tricky at times.

Also if you have a Barnes and Noble near by, don't be shy about bringing it in to have someone sit with you and go over things.

that's what my father does, the girls there know now him by name and love him. He's says he hates to bother me all the time, my guess is he likes the attention he gets when he goes.

well good luck MNFE and be sure to drop by the nook sub forum for any questions, troubleshooting or what have nots.
Lots of great tips to be found.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #68
mnfe
Connoisseur

I am pretty computer savvy, and I had read about the finger swipe. The interesting thing is it came out of the box with 1.4.3 and in that version you could swipe the n to turn pages. I updated to 1.5 and you can no longer do that, just on the LCD strip. But finger swiping is my preferred page turn by far. The keyboard is just like the one on my Samsung Focus (Windows 7 phone), so feels very natural to me.

I also installed Calibre and used it to sideload about 30 books, a lot of them from the Baen free library. SUPER EASY.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #69
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
You know what I wouldn't mind? Replacing the the keyboard area with a small touchpad like you find on a laptop, flush with the surface and nearly invisible. No screen, just a slight change in surface texture to mark the area. You could slide your finger across it for page turns, or for navigating menus (maybe would need a Menu and Back button to the side). I'd still want to keep the ambidextrous side buttons for reading in different positions.

Then again, I don't use the keyboard for anything other than renaming collections and registering the device, and I'd be just as happy doing that via software while attached by usb. I don't use it for email or browsing, nor inserting notes. Obviously some people do so my personal preference wouldn't suit everyone. But just sayin.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #70
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfe View Post
I am pretty computer savvy, and I had read about the finger swipe. The interesting thing is it came out of the box with 1.4.3 and in that version you could swipe the n to turn pages. I updated to 1.5 and you can no longer do that, just on the LCD strip. But finger swiping is my preferred page turn by far. The keyboard is just like the one on my Samsung Focus (Windows 7 phone), so feels very natural to me.

I also installed Calibre and used it to sideload about 30 books, a lot of them from the Baen free library. SUPER EASY.

ahh very cool sounds like you are settling in just fine
Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #71
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I love my Nook Color. I've gotten 9.5 hours with the the wi-fi left turned off and no web-browsing, reading only. The back-lit screen with it's color choices, font size etc makes it easy on the eyes. I never read more than 2-3 hours, so charging is not a problem for me. It is heavier than a Nook, Sony or Kindle, but it's a tablet not an E-ink reader. I'm using it only for reading now, but will start listening to audio books and watching videos as I get more time to play iwth it. I cannot imagine anyone being anything by delighted with this device..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #72
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Right now the best eInk devices for reading PDF are Sony's and Kindles. The nookColor is also suppose to be good, but I've not seen any reviews comments.
The Sony does a pretty decent job of reading PDFs, but even though I'm a huge Kindle fan, I have to disagree about the Kindle being one of the best for reading PDF documents. Both the Sony and the Nook allow for native re-flow of text, which beats the stuffing out of the Kindle's zoom and pan function.

At the risk of being called a troll, I personally feel it's the only advantage the Nook (original flavor) or the Sony (I have a PSR-600) have over the Kindle, although I can't speak of how it stacks up to the newer generation Sonys or the NookColor.

Which brings me to a question. I found the virtual keyboards on both my Sony Touch and the Nook (v1.5 firmware) I sold to be exasperatingly slow. Not being an e-ink device, I image the touchscreen keyboard on the NookColor is much more responsive. Is this true? Does anyone out there have experience with typing on both an NC and an iPad?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-17-2010 at 05:47 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #73
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Reflow on eInk devices is so bad I've always found it useless. Given the choice between reading on my SONY using reflow out reading on neither device I would have to always resort to reading on my cell phone which did a much better job. The way it should have been done.

But in a pinch I'd much rather pay 15¢ and have amazon auto convert the pdf and deliver it to me, than use Sony's /adobe reflow.

I'm hoping the nookColor uses some android app like adobe which does a great job of panning reflowing

However there it's no annotation capabilities on the nook where both the sony and kindle do have a working solution.

Which all leads me to say the nook is behind the curve. For those that feel reflow is a must at least the kindle has a with around there is none for the nook.

I have not typed on ether but I do an android phone to type, as a matter if fact I'm using it to for this post. I'm sure the response will be a good experience what makes touch screen keyboard so pleasant is the predictive text methods that really soured up typing, like swype, swiftkey, 8pen
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
However there it's no annotation capabilities on the nook where both the sony and kindle do have a working solution.
You can annotate and underline on a Nook but you can't export the notes to a PC, which makes the device pretty useless for me.

The frustrating thing about exporting notes and passages copied on my Sony PRS-600 is that it truncates the notes and passages during export, and I haven't found a workaround. With the Kindle, the only limitations are the ones placed there by the author or publisher, and there's nothing any reader can do about that.

Perhaps the NookColor doesn't have the limitations of the Nook. I haven't heard anyone speak of the annotation and passage copying capabilities of that device.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-17-2010 at 10:43 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #75
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I found the virtual keyboards on both my Sony Touch and the Nook (v1.5 firmware) I sold to be exasperatingly slow. Not being an e-ink device, I image the touchscreen keyboard on the NookColor is much more responsive. Is this true? Does anyone out there have experience with typing on both an NC and an iPad?
I don't have an iPad so I cannot make a comment on that, but NC virtual keyboard, at least on the device I had, was very sensitive and responsive, much more than Nook 1st generation which, like you say, it is sometimes unresponsive and sluggish. Because the screen is bigger, the virtual keyboard is also bigger, hence easier to type than Nook classic.