Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
pratyk
pratyk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle DX now or Plastic Logic/iRex later ?

Is kindle Dx a good buy right now or should i be waiting for iRex's new reader / Plastic logic .. main reads would be pdf tech books / manuals / research papers ..

thanks
pratyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
I haven't tried any of these devices, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt.

I'm personally waiting for the Plastic Logic eReader for PDF reading. It has the largest display of the three and is a touch lighter than the DX. If PDFs are really your main use, you need a big screen.

But who knows when the Plastic Logic will actually be available, and whether it will be as good as advertised... So it really boils down to getting something decent now versus getting something that might be better, as much as a year from now.

Last edited by Baldrake; 08-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best device for PDFs right now, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is the iRex DR1000S. Unfortunately, it's not cheap. The Kindle DX's PDF support is pathetic. Avoid like the plague.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Well.. Plastic Logic price is set to debut at 800$ or so, quite expensive. It'll be up to how much you want to spend.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If you can wait, you should at least hold out until we have a 100% accurate idea of the Plastic Logic reader, its final specs, and its price point. That is what I am doing.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If you can wait, you should at least hold out until we have a 100% accurate idea of the Plastic Logic reader, its final specs, and its price point. That is what I am doing.
+1 on that suggestion. No reason not to wait another few months. I feel the KDX falls short of what I would want in a large format reader and no reason to buy it now with other devices so close to release.

And do not forget there will be the gen1 devices using the Pixel Qi 3Qi displays which means larger format displays for far less cost. Trade off is of course battery run time...still used as a reader only a 3Qi based device should get a full day's reading pretty easily if used w/o backlight on or even the middle of the three modes.

And my personal opinion, I am not sold on the KDX as anything other than a rush to be first to market device. Maybe it's the Platypus of large format ebook readers?? I mean that poor critter looks as if it was not quite finished and made from left over parts at the end of the work day.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyk View Post
Is kindle Dx a good buy right now or should i be waiting for iRex's new reader / Plastic logic .. main reads would be pdf tech books / manuals / research papers ..

thanks
I've had my iRex DR1000S for about a week now, and (for the most part) have been extremely pleased with the purchase.

As with most people who have to part with $860 (and actually more, once you add up all the different accessories that are good to add), I thought through a lot. As HarryT mentioned, PDF support on DX is horrible. This inadequacy is well-documented and widely-reported.

There were 2 reasons that I went with the iRex now vs. waiting for the Plastic Logic: (1) iRex seems to be making continual improvements to the firmware, and removing/reducing bugs along the way. (2) A bigger reason for me was that the Plastic Logic is set to debut with 6GB of memory -- please correct me if I'm wrong on that -- but the iRex can reportedly be fitted with a 32GB SDHC card with no problem. I've got a 16GB SDHC card in mine right now and it works great. Considering I'm an academic with hundreds (and growing!) of PDF's that are 10-15MB each, I wanted the extra flexibility.
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Just thought to add one more thing to consider is that iRex rumored to have an 8" reading device in the works:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52910

So that is also worth considering...and I will add from all the reading I've done about devices, other than price, people who have and use the iRex devices are extremely pleased with them despite the cost. I have a sense they also are using them not as just casual reading devices though which makes the other features much more important and worth the cost.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote