Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
MrReader
MrReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Onyx Boox/Beebok Neo or Sony PRS-900 ?

Hello everybody!!

I am seriously thinking of buying an ereader for academic purposes, I need to read a lot, take notes for research and so on. I have done endless research on manuals and have tried out some actual ereaders, and have decided that I obviously need an ereader with as much notation and simple "text editing" capabilities as possible, I found that the Sony PRS900 is on the top alongside the Onyx Boox or Bebook neo, other more "fancy" devices with dual screen technology are to expensive, and I like to keep low profile anyway. So smaller than 6" is to small and bigger than the PRS900 is to big, I am always on the move, so I am willing to invest on an ereader that is portable and with the best scribbling and notation capabilities, like exporting notes, dictionary, and easy and fast access to text files for cross referencing and all that stuff.

Is there anybody who has used both the PRS-900 and the Bebook neo?
MrReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have both a 600, which is a smaller version of the 900, and a Neo. As always, there's no simple "best". The Sony is clearly better for annotation and searching, but the Neo has a much better screen, and, due to its folder support, is MUCH better if you want to store a lot of information and arrange it in folders.

If I had to choose one, it would be Neo.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
HarryT wrote:
Quote:
The Sony is clearly better for annotation and searching, but the Neo has a much better screen, and, due to its folder support, is MUCH better if you want to store a lot of information and arrange it in folders. If I had to choose one, it would be Neo.
What role does battery life play in your decision? I have the impression from other posts that the Sony offers about 5x the battery life of the Neo?
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both devices have a battery life measured in "many days". When you reach that stage, what the "number" is is entirely irrelevent; you have to recharge either "not very often".
Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
HarryT wrote:
Quote:
Both devices have a battery life measured in "many days". When you reach that stage, what the "number" is is entirely irrelevent; you have to recharge either "not very often".
Yes, that's quite true when you have easy access to a charger in the comfort of your own home. But it becomes highly relevant if you don't have access to a charger, for whatever reason (I'm thinking about international travel where there are differences in voltage & plugs, or camping, etc.). Then it becomes very relevant whether an electronic device will work for 3 days or 15 days or even a month ....
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
HarryT wrote:
Then it becomes very relevant whether an electronic device will work for 3 days or 15 days or even a month ....
Until August 31st, you get a free spare battery when purchasing a PRS 900.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
MrReader
MrReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Harry and emai7s2 for the quick reply.

Harry, I have been reading your other posts, and you seem to be experienced in the "ereader world". You own the two ereaders (PRS900 and Neo) and I believe that the Neo scribbling ability is more precise because of its technology, also the internet browsing is a plus (not really important to me) but emai7s2 has a point there with the battery life, it is something very important for me. I also have the feeling, (but I might be wrong) that the Sony 900 gives more security and seems to be more compact in its design, apart from the screen. I believe that the Sony device is made to last longer, while the Neo has more advanced technology and a more "stylish design" which I dont really care. What do you think? On the other site it seems that Onyx is constantly updating its firmware, while sony not so much. Another problem is the sony softwear, not so practical, and slow. I could also just wait for the bunch of new 2nd generation ereaders that will come out soon, like the Samsung E60 and so on, but I believe that the ideal ereader (for me) is already out there, and it could be the sony 900 or the Neo, I just need a simple, compact durable straight to the point design with good notation ability, good library organization and as dynamic as possible in managing its content. If the Neo does all that, I will go for it, I need something that will last long.

Last edited by MrReader; 07-29-2010 at 11:00 AM.
MrReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
HarryT wrote:
Yes, that's quite true when you have easy access to a charger in the comfort of your own home. But it becomes highly relevant if you don't have access to a charger, for whatever reason (I'm thinking about international travel where there are differences in voltage & plugs, or camping, etc.). Then it becomes very relevant whether an electronic device will work for 3 days or 15 days or even a month ....
I should have said "irrelevant for me".