Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #31
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Just to back up griffonwing. The Dragonlance books are superb.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
His First Law series is very very good IMO. The while thing does seem to be out in e-book format in the UK, not sure about the US.
Waterstone's do it in ePub, perhaps other formats elsewhere?

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...2&pageNumber=0
That's great to see it's available somewhere at least, but it's *more* expensive in epub format than the paperback versions. What the heck?!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 AM   #33
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
What the heck?!
Sums it up nicely. Gotta love life as part of a niche market of affluent early adopters, or whatever they've pigeonholed us into
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #34
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I would recommend Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone Series. Very good read imho.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #35
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The Saga of Recluce books by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

Good stuff. The series has quite a few books, but in general they come in sets of two books set in the same universe. See the list here:

http://www.lemodesittjr.com/the_books.html

Actually, he is a favorite author of mine and quite a prolific writer. You might want to check out some of his other books too. However he writes both Fantasy and SF so you'll need to choose based on what you are looking for.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #36
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
The Saga of Recluce books by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

Good stuff. The series has quite a few books, but in general they come in sets of two books set in the same universe. See the list here:

http://www.lemodesittjr.com/the_books.html

Actually, he is a favorite author of mine and quite a prolific writer. You might want to check out some of his other books too. However he writes both Fantasy and SF so you'll need to choose based on what you are looking for.
ah yes, the Spellsong Cycle is good as well.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #37
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
ah yes, the Spellsong Cycle is good as well.
Sounds familiar to one of my favourite series.... VERY familier I love the spellsinger series which I recomend so may have to read these.

The Soprano Sorceress (1997) - Modesitt
Spellsinger (1983) - Foster

Anna Marshall, a middle-aged music instructor and small-time opera singer who is magically transported from Ames, Iowa to Erde,
'Jon-Tom,' is a student in law at UCLA and part-time would-be rock guitarist who is pulled through to this world from Earth

a fantastical world where songs have a magical power.

perform magic by playing and choosing from his well-worn repertoire of rock

she has the capability to become one of the most powerful sorceresses in the world
His main advantage is that he discovers he is able to wield the power of a spellsinger, a mage who can use songs to cast spells.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #38
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I would recommend Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone Series. Very good read imho.
An excellent series, with a very intriguing main character. I like fantasy that is less clear-cut in the "good vs. evil" department. The Fire and Ice series is also very good at this; I learned early on not to get too attached to characters there!
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 AM   #39
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Sounds familiar to one of my favourite series.... VERY familier I love the spellsinger series which I recomend so may have to read these.

The Soprano Sorceress (1997) - Modesitt
Spellsinger (1983) - Foster

Anna Marshall, a middle-aged music instructor and small-time opera singer who is magically transported from Ames, Iowa to Erde,
'Jon-Tom,' is a student in law at UCLA and part-time would-be rock guitarist who is pulled through to this world from Earth

a fantastical world where songs have a magical power.

perform magic by playing and choosing from his well-worn repertoire of rock

she has the capability to become one of the most powerful sorceresses in the world
His main advantage is that he discovers he is able to wield the power of a spellsinger, a mage who can use songs to cast spells.
Difference is there are (sadly enough) no talking otters in the Spellsong cycle. Mudge is one of my alltime favourite litterary characters!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #40
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Difference is there are (sadly enough) no talking otters in the Spellsong cycle. Mudge is one of my alltime favourite litterary characters!

That IS a shame!

there is a very 'mudgelike' charecter in one of his newer series, its a talking dog in a scifi human abduction type trilogy very light and humourous but I cant remember the name.....
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #41
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
That IS a shame!

there is a very 'mudgelike' charecter in one of his newer series, its a talking dog in a scifi human abduction type trilogy very light and humourous but I cant remember the name.....
The Taken trilogy?

Lost and Found, The Light-Years Beneath My Feet and The Candle of Distant Earth

Last edited by Slite; 08-19-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #42
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
The Taken trilogy?

Lost and Found, The Light-Years Beneath My Feet and The Candle of Distant Earth
Thats the ones, yeh I liked the Dog in that.[
Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #43
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
@Shadowplay

Let me recommend you the "Mistborn" trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson. Or you can read first his stand alone fantasy novel "Elantris".

Another excelent fantasy classic is the "Magician", by Raymond Feist. I think it's over 20 years old, but it's really good.
I would like to second this, and specify a bit further.
The books to read by him are the first few series, most of the later ones are rather formulaic/predictable books that mostly seem to have sold because he already had the audience, and was churning them out to make some more money.
The problem with these, however, is that they're only available through illegal channels so far. (that is, a few single volumes are being sold, but no more than that)

Still, I very much enjoyed these series:
Riftwar Saga (3 or 4 books, depending on which version of Magician you get)
Serpentwar Saga (4 books)
Empire Trilogy

not read yet:
Krondor's Sons (might be enjoyable, comparable to Legends)
Demonwar saga (is suggested by others to fit into the last category in this post)

the boring series (that I've read):
Conclave of Shadows
Darkwar Saga (suffers from Stuff Being Very Easy For Immensely Powerful Magicians syndrome)
Legends of the riftwar (might be OK if you haven't read too much yet, but I'd recommend skipping at least the first volume)
Riftwar Legacy: yawn.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote