Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
iBooks... text missing. Making me crazy!

I'm getting some really odd feedback from a client that we're developing a "slightly complex" eBook for (epub ver2). It's got some images in and some boxes, nothing funky, and all stuff we've done before.

But they keep saying that chunks of the content are MISSING when looking on iBooks (Mac).

eg: One chapter has endorsements and they wanted to make sure that the name stays with the quote, so we wrapped it in the div with page-break-inside:avoid

so...
Code:
<div class = "group">
<p>Great book!</p>
<p>- A reviewer</p>
</div>

<div class = "group">
<p>Changed my life!</p>
<p>- Another reviewer</p
</div>
:
etc

CSS:
.group{
	page-break-inside:avoid;
}
Looks just fine on ADE, Kindle Sim (mobi export) and in iBooks on my (old) iPad... cant figure out what's going on here.

Also, they say that other chunks are missing after forced page-breaks.

Code:
<p>yadda yadda</>
<div style='page-break-before:always;'></div>
<p>start of new page</p>

this has always worked... or at least degraded gracefullyand just not done a page-break.
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:50 AM   #2
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Okay... so email from the client last night. Looks like we've gotten to the bottom of this.
Seems that they hadn't waited for iBooks to finish indexig the book before looking at it. I know that you sometimes can't turn to later pages while it's doing whatever it does when you first load a book, but also appears to affect bits partway through as well.

So, ultimately not an issue. But not a brilliant customer expeience if you've bought the book.
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I remain puzzled as to why people even still use iBooks. Its never been up to snuff and is unlikely ever to be.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I remain puzzled as to why people even still use iBooks. Its never been up to snuff and is unlikely ever to be.
iBooks/Books comes with iOS/iPadOS/OSX. So it's there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iBooks/Books comes with iOS/iPadOS/OSX. So it's there.
I know.. captive readership and why would anyone go looking for something else. I’m glad I was into iOS before iBooks/Books, otherwise I may also have been trapped.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I know.. captive readership and why would anyone go looking for something else. I’m glad I was into iOS before iBooks/Books, otherwise I may also have been trapped.
The types of people who frequent eBook forums like this one are probably more prone to want a customized reading experience. We tend to be picky about our eBooks and the reader apps that allow us to view them. But a lot of people are not like us. Eventually Apple added iBooks (now named Books) to the iOS and those who were not too picky basically used it out of convenience. It was there, it was free, it got the job done, but Apple never did much to make it compete with 3rd party apps.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
The types of people who frequent eBook forums like this one are probably more prone to want a customized reading experience. We tend to be picky about our eBooks and the reader apps that allow us to view them. But a lot of people are not like us. Eventually Apple added iBooks (now named Books) to the iOS and those who were not too picky basically used it out of convenience. It was there, it was free, it got the job done, but Apple never did much to make it compete with 3rd party apps.
Apple tends to focus on making things easy for the 80%. Books is an ok reading experience and it's easy to buy and read books from within the app. It works quite well for the 80% of the people who buy a handful of best seller books a year on their iPad. For me, the key was not to try to side load any books, just use it for the handful of books that I purchased from Apple. No, you can't tweak things just so in Books, but as you say, most people don't care, they just want to read the latest best seller on the airplane.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iBooks/Books is terrible on an iPhone because of the silly wide margins. The Kindle app also has the same problem on an iPhone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #9
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iBooks/Books is terrible on an iPhone because of the silly wide margins. The Kindle app also has the same problem on an iPhone.
Indeed. The margins being too big has been one of the longest running complaints against Books and Kindle apps on smartphones, yet neither company has done much to address the complaints.

@pwalker8, Apple always treated, and still does treat, iBook/Books as an after thought. Apple went all out with the Music services, but have shown little interest in ebook services. Thankfully other companies offered better services and bookstores.

I will say that Books does work fairly well as a casual PDF reader and it is reasonably easy to open internet page PDFs in it via Share. So convenience is a plus even if feature sets are not.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-26-2021 at 10:57 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:00 AM   #10
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
For me, the key was not to try to side load any books
Why was side loading a problem for you?
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don’t find Kindle app margins an issue on iPhone. It’s better than Books in this respect.

What I do appreciate about Books is that it has excellent Accessibility support, and it treats side-loaded books with respect - they are ‘full citizens’ as it were.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Indeed. The margins being too big has been one of the longest running complaints against Books and Kindle apps on smartphones, yet neither company has done much to address the complaints.

@pwalker8, Apple always treated, and still does treat, iBook/Books as an after thought. Apple went all out with the Music services, but have shown little interest in ebook services. Thankfully other companies offered better services and bookstores.

I will say that Books does work fairly well as a casual PDF reader and it is reasonably easy to open internet page PDFs in it via Share. So convenience is a plus even if feature sets are not.
I suspect that has a lot to do with the anti-trust case. Once it was obvious the fix was in for Amazon, Jobs decided it wasn't worth too much effort. The Books update was a pretty nice update, but they are were more focused on the book store side rather than the reading side.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxpose View Post
Why was side loading a problem for you?
The early iterations of iBooks with iCloud didn't handle large libraries well. Really, Books is designed for people who buy best sellers from Apple rather than people with big libraries or buy from a lot of different stores.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:02 AM   #14
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Books is designed for people who buy best sellers from Apple rather than people with big libraries or buy from a lot of different stores.
Really I don't know why you say this. Does Apple say this?

For myself, I find Books copes perfectly well with a moderately large library and with books obtained from several different stores - and the books are certainly not all best sellers.

I do find it annoying that cover images do not sync from Books on a mac to Books on an iPhone - and I would like a greater choice of fonts. But for myself I am not really aware of other problems.

Last edited by lxpose; 03-03-2021 at 05:36 AM.
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxpose View Post
Really I don't know why you say this. Does Apple say this?

For myself, I find Books copes perfectly well with a moderately large library and with books obtained from several different stores - and the books are certainly not all best sellers.

I do find it annoying that cover images do not sync from Books on a mac to Books on an iPhone - and I would like a greater choice of fonts. But for myself I am not really aware of other problems.
All I can do is go by my experience. Maybe it's gotten better since I purged all the side loaded books a couple of years ago.

Tags
content missing, epib, ibooks, page-break;css