Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
What is "iBooks format"?

I just used Sigil to finish my first epub. I'm not going to sell this particular book via Amazon, iBooks, etc. I'm only going to sell it on my website.

However, I want to make it available to people both Kindle users and people Apple Books. (I think that covers about 99% of the epub readers out there, right?)

Anyway, I've found instructions for converting my epub to Kindle. But I'm confused about iBooks. Am I correct in saying that you don't have to convert an epub to an iBooks format?

I'm confused because I've seen instructions for converting some kind of file to an "iBook format." But if I create an epub with Sigil, then it's already in iBook format - right? I can certainly open my epub and preview it in my Apple Books program.

Thank you.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Books (no longer iBooks) uses ePub. But to be sure it works correctly, you will want to view it on an iPhone and an iPad both running Books.

99%, nope. You let out Kobo and nook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm...My iPad was stolen, and I just bought my first smartphone ever - a Chinese Huawei.

So it would be a good idea to sell Kobo and Nook versions of my epub, too? Do you know what the file extension for each is? I'll have to see if I can use Calibre to convert it to them.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's .epub
Use Smashwords for selling epub. They distribute to Apple. Upload an epub2.

Amazon has about 90% of ebook sales. BUT! The best format to upload to Amazon KDP is the same epub for Smashwords. Amazon's advice! Purchased downloads show they dumb it down for old mobi format readers like the DX and do a conversion to KF8/AZW that on the Kindle PW3 looks the same as on a Kobo or Nook. KFX is mostly different encryption and slight rendering differences, so called enhanced typesetting. The epub2 you upload to Amazon is used to generate that also.

So the only thing you need to output for all epub readers and upload to Amazon for all Kindles, is the epub2. Using docx input gives best results.
If you ALSO sell Kindle format via Smashwords there is a slight snag. They don't know which generation of Kindle a customer has, unlike Amazon. So it's the single valid use of Calibre's "Dual Mobi", an old mobi and a KF8 versions in the one file. You upload that to Smashwords, nowhere else and never Amazon, and then when people buy it if they have an old Kindle their Kindle ignores the KF8 part, and if they have Firmware 3.x or later, they can chose "Publisher" on Aa and get the modern part, delivered by Amazon as AZW.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
SigilBear
Banned

Wow, good tip about Smashwords. I'll check it out.

However, I can't sell this particular book through Kindle or iBooks because it isn't politically correct. (I was investigating some of the conspiracy theories swirling around the coronavirus, and you now where those things lead. ) They'd probably reject it and, with my luck, I might bet permanently banned.

However, I have a second book I've been working on simultaneously for Maine's bicentennial. It will be finished shortly, and II might go the Smashwords route on that one.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
SmashWords has always made my skin crawl. I use and recommend Draft2Digital.

My monthly breakdown runs 75-80 percent Kindle ebooks, 25-20 percent elsewhere. Kobo lately has been the top elsewhere seller, sometimes displaced by Apple. B&N runs third. Then maybe Google Books, then Scribd. Overdrive is very irregular, but profitable when it clicks (I double the price for libraries).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
Am I correct in saying that you don't have to convert an epub to an iBooks format?
If your epub2 book passes EPUBCheck, you don't have to convert it, but you can convert it to an epub3 book with the ePub3-itizer Sigil plugin to take advantage of the epub3 features that Apple Books/iBooks supports.

Edit: In Calibre, you can also select Polish > Upgrade Book Internals.

For more information on formatting books for Apple Books/iBooks, see the Apple Books Asset Guide 5.2.11.

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-10-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If your epub2 book passes EPUBCheck, you don't have to convert it, but you can convert it to an epub3 book with the ePub3-itizer Sigil plugin to take advantage of the epub3 features that Apple Books/iBooks supports.

Edit: In Calibre, you can also select Polish > Upgrade Book Internals.

For more information on formatting books for Apple Books/iBooks, see the Apple Books Asset Guide 5.2.11.
But if converting to ePub 3 would add nothing to the ePub in Books, just leave it as an ePub 2.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:13 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if converting to ePub 3 would add nothing to the ePub in Books, just leave it as an ePub 2.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:24 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Why go to the bother of the extra work converting ePub 2 to ePub 3 if nothing is gained?
Old 06-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why go to the bother of the extra work converting ePub 2 to ePub 3 if nothing is gained?
You're just so predictable - even though you've been told to knock it off with the anti-epub3 mantra. The 'extra work' being a button click if you actually started the ePub as an ePub2...

If a new publisher learns to create ePubs using epub3 properties, then why make them learn the old way of doing things in addition? ePub3 works just fine and with a couple minor additions (usually done automagically) they are completely backwards compatible with ePub2 only readers. Sooooo, the real question is: Why NOT ePub3?

That was a rhetorical question...please don't answer it yet again...we all know your preferences on the matter.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You're just so predictable - even though you've been told to knock it off with the anti-epub3 mantra. The 'extra work' being a button click if you actually started the ePub as an ePub2...

If a new publisher learns to create ePubs using epub3 properties, then why make them learn the old way of doing things in addition? ePub3 works just fine and with a couple minor additions (usually done automagically) they are completely backwards compatible with ePub2 only readers. Sooooo, the real question is: Why NOT ePub3?

That was a rhetorical question...please don't answer it yet again...we all know your preferences on the matter.
I'm not saying that if you know how to make an ePub 3 (backwards compatible) don't do it. I'm saying that if you already have an ePub 2 that's finished, it's not worth it to convert to ePub 3.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
I'm not saying that if you know how to make an ePub 3 (backwards compatible) don't do it. I'm saying that if you already have an ePub 2 that's finished, it's not worth it to convert to ePub 3.
It is if you are trying to sell on a platform that uses ePub3...again...the conversion is a simple button push....click, I did it!....click....oooooh I did it again!!
Old 06-13-2020, 04:23 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It is if you are trying to sell on a platform that uses ePub3...again...the conversion is a simple button push....click, I did it!....click....oooooh I did it again!!
There is no platform that I know of that's ePub 3 only.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #15
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Since ePub 3.2 was released in May of last year...I'm thinking you should start thinking about jumping on the ePub3 bandwagon ... BEFORE ... it is supplanted by ePub4!!

Tags
ibooks