Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Device: Google Nexus 7
Hacking PRS-505...

Hi!

I have an idea to buy new PRS-505 for igorsk. I hope Igor will find a way to hack this guy shortly :-)

I'll collect the money on my paypal account. We need 31 donations by $12. Also we have people from russian brotherhood forum (see http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...?p=99555#99555)

I'll inform both forums then we collect $340 (reader + shipping).

ChipIn page: http://sens.chipin.com/prs-505-hack
Current balance (on my paypal): $356.81 USD

(I'll update ChipIn amount periodically if I'll receive money by other ways)

Update: PRS-505 ordered, will arrive tomorrow ;-)

Update 2: All extra money (Russian guys have a problem with paypal; they will collect cash and send me via WU) will be donated to mobileread and the-ebook.org half-to-half.)

Update 3: Well done guys! Collection is over now. Thanks for everybody! I'll send Reader to Igor shortly; also will post donators list here

PRS-505 shipped to Igor today. Will wait for good news :-)

Here is a list of donators and balance:

Time Name Currency Gross Fee Net
13:59:15 David Davtian USD 12 -0.65 11.35
13:34:46 Anton Krasovsky USD 12 -0.77 11.23
7:37:50 Andrey Shuvikov USD 12 -0.65 11.35
7:20:18 Evgeny Roitberg USD 12 -0.65 11.35
7:04:17 Mikhail Sharonov USD 20 -0.88 19.12
6:59:30 From Russia with love (nicknames from forum):
USD 76 -3.26 72.74
Alexander Knyazev
The-eBook
Paguro
Marina_Ch
Iyonishe
Corwin
Felis Chaus
vinogr-pavel
iRun
changapovich
gross
unknown
6:59:18 Irene Warden USD 12 -0.77 11.23
3:07:29 david mortlock USD 12 -0.77 11.23
1:48:59 Milen Petrov USD 12 -0.77 11.23
1:17:17 Sergey Smekhov USD 12 -0.77 11.23
0:49:15 Leonid Iakovlev USD 12 -0.77 11.23
0:37:30 Leonid Fainberg USD 12 -0.77 11.23
20:34:11 Dean Sutherland USD 5 -0.45 4.55
19:24:26 Vadim Temkin USD 12 -0.65 11.35
14:21:21 Alexander Rezinsky USD 12 -0.77 11.23
14:13:24 Dmitrij Filonov USD 12 -0.65 11.35
13:55:09 Dengsheng Huang USD 12 -0.65 11.35
13:47:01 Vladimir Boroda USD 12 -0.65 11.35
13:10:22 Alexander Shabaev USD 10 -0.69 9.31
12:57:09 Clive Viagas USD 24 -1.24 22.76
11:58:06 Kenneth B. Baldwin USD 25 -1.03 23.97
11:57:02 Nathan Chance USD 12 -0.65 11.35
10:36:49 Siarhei Psiola USD 12.5 -0.63 11.86
10:36:49 SeNS USD 12.5 -0.63 11.86

Total: 356.81

Spent for Reader & S&H:
$315
$39

Total: $354.00

Rest (plus my extra) donated to Kovid Goyal

Last edited by SeNS; 10-05-2007 at 06:31 PM.
SeNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Will you keep us up to date with the total?

Will any partial amt should go to Igorsk? That's if it doesn't grow high enough, of course. (He deserves the money raised based on completed work already, even if it's not enough to cover a device. And he should not feel obliged to buy a device if the amt is short.)

And a minor but important detail... is Igorsk okay with this?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Has anyone confirmed yet if the current hacking mechanism is broken on the 505? Considering how little has changed with the device, I wouldn't be surprised if everything we already have works right away.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
Has anyone confirmed yet if the current hacking mechanism is broken on the 505?
The AutoLoad.XML piece that makes reflashing from a memory card has been disabled, so we'll need a new way to apply new firmwares.

That being said, I'd imagine that the actual code adjustments themselves will probably still more or less work, perhaps with some minor tweaking.

If igorsk is on-board with this idea, I'll certainly chip in -- just as a "thank you" for what he's already done if nothing else.

I would add a suggestion -- if someone here in the States purchased the 505 and sent it to him then the import paperwork could quite truthfully be labeled as a gift and perhaps help avoid import duties. I'd really like for this to not cost igorsk anything if that can be arranged.

Great idea, SeNS!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Will you keep us up to date with the total?

Will any partial amt should go to Igorsk? That's if it doesn't grow high enough, of course. (He deserves the money raised based on completed work already, even if it's not enough to cover a device. And he should not feel obliged to buy a device if the amt is short.)

And a minor but important detail... is Igorsk okay with this?
Yep, sir. First $24 (2 donations) received. Igor agreed but without guarantee (of course!) I think if he have no luck in hacking, this new PRS will be our gratuity for his previous work.

P.S. Bob, could you please make this topick "sticky"?

Last edited by SeNS; 10-03-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
It may be better to use a 3rd party service like chipin (http://www.chipin.com/overview) to manage it. That way there is a status bar.

Edit: It looks like the funds go directly to a specified paypal account. This should work pretty well.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
SeNS
Enthusiast

Adam, thanks for advice! Nice service, I like it :-)

ChipIn page for donations: http://sens.chipin.com/prs-505-hack
Old 10-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alrighty then, my coin's in the box. I like the looks of this chipin thing, I'll have to remember it for future reference.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Oh yeah: by the way, the thread's "stuck" now.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
phrodod
Enthusiast
phrodod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Alrighty then, my coin's in the box. I like the looks of this chipin thing, I'll have to remember it for future reference.
Should Kovidgoyal get one too? I'd chip in on that one for libprs500!

I've been too chicken to try out the hacks yet...

Phrodod
phrodod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrodod View Post

Phrodod
Tomorrow I am goin to the Sony Style store with my SD card to try it in the new reader. I'll post if the menu pops up. I have no idea what will happen or not. But we'll see.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
I am in for one. Done. Just a thank-you for the universal flasher which allows me to install Asian fonts and some great hacks!
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrodod View Post

Phrodod
I'd chip in for one for Kovidgoyal. And I have chipped in for igorsk.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I tried the 1.2 flasher on the 505 today. It came up with the menu just fine. But, when I tried to flash it, I got an error message. Something about stat_fs not found. So if someone can cobble up something to run on insert of the SD card that would get a full directory of what is on the reader and write it out to the SD card, I'll run it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeNS View Post
Update: PRS-505 ordered, will arrive tomorrow ;-)

Update 2: All extra money (Russian guys have a problem with paypal; they will collect cash and send me via WU) will be donated to mobileread and the-ebook.org half-to-half.)
Wow. That was fast.