Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
How can I associate a file extension with an app that's not listed?

Why is it so difficult to associate file extensions with an app? Yes, I get the pop-up menu that says "Complete action using...," but the app I want to use is not listed.

Specifically I would like to use Moon+ Reader for epubs. The only choices I'm given are Aldiko, FBReader, and Overdrive. I disabled the stock reader app so it won't be used for epubs anymore. I also deleted the epub extension within Astro so that I won't get the error message "epub type not found" because I disabled the stock reader app. Now I'm prompted when I select an epub, which is what I want.

Last edited by SCION; 01-18-2011 at 07:18 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
I believe you'll need to contact the app developer for this.

Apps tell android what types of files they work with and what they can do with them. I believe it does this through mime type intent filters in the apps's manifest, but don't quote me.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I believe you'll need to contact the app developer for this.

Apps tell android what types of files they work with and what they can do with them. I believe it does this through mime type intent filters in the apps's manifest, but don't quote me.
Yeah, that's my conclusion as well after installing another app that can be selected. I sent an email to the developer. How does one overlook something like this.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant

We were on the right track in our thinking. This irked the heck out me, so I extracted the AndroidManifest.xml file. It has <data mimeType="text/*">. This explains why it's not available as one of the apps to read epubs. The other reader apps have <data mimeType="application/epub">, in addition to other data MimeType values.

Seems like an obvious oversight. The developer responded to my email shortly after I sent it. It was stated that an update would be available in a few days.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Weird question, but how do you un-associate an extension if you accidentally set the wrong app as the default?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Weird question, but how do you un-associate an extension if you accidentally set the wrong app as the default?
Go into NOOKcolor Tools app and select Manage Applications. Find the app and clear the defaults.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
We were on the right track in our thinking. This irked the heck out me, so I extracted the AndroidManifest.xml file. It has <data mimeType="text/*">. This explains why it's not available as one of the apps to read epubs. The other reader apps have <data mimeType="application/epub">, in addition to other data MimeType values.

Seems like an obvious oversight. The developer responded to my email shortly after I sent it. It was stated that an update would be available in a few days.
Woo Hoo! After sending another email to the developer, version 1.2.15 of Moon+ Reader has an updated manifest.xml file. I'm now able to select Moon+ Reader as my default reader for epubs. For some reason it's not showing as a choice within Astro. Had to use ES File Manager.

Also, this update includes a fix for italic/bold fonts within epubs. Prior to this, it didn't render italic/bold fonts properly unless you used the default Moon+ font.

To the developer... if you're reading this...

Last edited by SCION; 02-19-2011 at 07:18 PM.