Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep, that is what the documentation says. I don't understand why they made this change. Is there a shortage of email addresses?

BOb
I don't think so even gmail hasn't reach that point yet. I think it was a bad decisions when they decided to make a Personal Cloud. I would be more then happy to pay for a separate email address yearly if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That is so wrong.
I totally agree with you. I mean what good is it for a family to have several Kindles if they have to share the Pdoc service now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I hope you just mean it goes to your personal Kindles and not everyone that owns a Kindle...
It means it goes to all Kindles on your personal Amazon account. So say Mom sends a romance book to her Kindle that she got from Smashwords unless she disables her young daughter's Kindle from receiving personal documents then her daughter would get that book as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #32
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't think so even gmail hasn't reach that point yet. I think it was a bad decisions when they decided to make a Personal Cloud. I would be more then happy to pay for a separate email address yearly if necessary.

I totally agree with you. I mean what good is it for a family to have several Kindles if they have to share the Pdoc service now.

It means it goes to all Kindles on your personal Amazon account. So say Mom sends a romance book to her Kindle that she got from Smashwords unless she disables her young daughter's Kindle from receiving personal documents then her daughter would get that book as well.

In you Personal Document Settings click Edit and you can check off which Kindles you don't what to have personal documents sent too.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
In you Personal Document Settings click Edit and you can check off which Kindles you don't what to have personal documents sent too.
Yeah I saw that but that means that if you do that say her Daughter can't send her books to her own Kindle if mom turns it off and well it's just a big hassle for those who have people who use different Kindles.

I mean some kids send their PDF class projects home this way and now they can't unless the whole family gets them or Dad send his personal work docs home and can't now because of confidential issues. It's just a mess.

I am so thankful right now for Dropbox!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #34
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah I saw that but that means that if you do that say her Daughter can't send her books to her own Kindle if mom turns it off and well it's just a big hassle for those who have people who use different Kindles.

I mean some kids send their PDF class projects home this way and now they can't unless the whole family gets them or Dad send his personal work docs home and can't now because of confidential issues. It's just a mess.

I am so thankful right now for Dropbox!
Just create an other amazon account. You may need to put a CC on file though.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Can you use same CC on multiple accounts or would you have to gift the book instead?
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #36
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
its pretty shocking customer service for Amazon not to roll these updates out to existing K2 DX or DXG kindles, especially when you consider some of those modeks are just over a year old and cost $100s of dollars.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #37
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Can you use same CC on multiple accounts or would you have to gift the book instead?
I really don't know. Never tried it. Only one way to find out.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #38
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
That sucks. When I get a Kindle I'm just going to plug it into my computer and transfer books that way. That's what I do now with my PP and I like it.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #39
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
its pretty shocking customer service for Amazon not to roll these updates out to existing K2 DX or DXG kindles, especially when you consider some of those modeks are just over a year old and cost $100s of dollars.
That's just how things work in the technology world.

It's pretty amazing that the Kindle Keyboard is being updated, given that it is now the "old" product in the lineup.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #40
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Just got this from Amazon Support
Very interesting.

It's odd how some people had it download automatically if Amazon doesn't think it's ready.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Very interesting.

It's odd how some people had it download automatically if Amazon doesn't think it's ready.
They've done this before: they seem to do a "pilot release" of new firmware, and wait to see if any problems are reported, before doing a full-scale release. It happened that way with the 3.1 firmware, if memory serves me correctly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
While I'd much prefer having a separate email address for every device (and you can maintain your current ones, just don't de-register it) I think there is a simple solution, you are already doing it with dropbox.

Set your account so personal documents are not auto sent to ANY kindle. Then, you can email a personal document to your archive and then go onto your kindle you want it on and d/l-it. Mess cleaned up.

Perhaps they will add the ability to specify in the subject line of the email which kindle(s) you want it auto sent to.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Just to clarify, does the personal docs cloud change mean you'll now have the same sync between devices (kindle apps and kindles) of books you've bought at other stores (say Baen) as you do with books bought from Amazon? Does it include notes/current page and other options that are currently sync'd with amazon bought books?

If so, that's great news and combined with the recent price drops has me seriously reconsidering my position of not replacing my hanlin until colour eInk arrives :P
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Just to clarify, does the personal docs cloud change mean you'll now have the same sync between devices (kindle apps and kindles) of books you've bought at other stores (say Baen) as you do with books bought from Amazon? Does it include notes/current page and other options that are currently sync'd with amazon bought books?

If so, that's great news and combined with the recent price drops has me seriously reconsidering my position of not replacing my hanlin until colour eInk arrives :P
My understand is, yes, as long as it is a mobi document Whispersync will work on it just like it does for purchased content.

I read something about this not working on the software, but just on the devices. I could be wrong about that though.

BOb
Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Not sure if anyone has done this but I just emailed a personal document to my self. I received this email after I did it:

Dear Kindle Customer,

As you have recently received personal document(s) on your Kindle, we would like to share information with you about new exciting features related to Kindle Personal Documents service.

Your personal documents will be stored in your Kindle library. You can download your archived personal documents to your Kindle device(s) conveniently anywhere at any time. Your personal documents will remain in your Kindle library until you delete them. If you don't want your documents to be stored in your Kindle library you can change your personal documents settings through Manage Your Kindle.

You can also create notes, highlights and bookmarks on your personal documents and they will be automatically synced along with last page read across various Kindle devices using Amazon's Whispersync technology.

You can learn more about Kindle Personal Documents on our help pages

Thank you for choosing Kindle,
Amazon Kindle Support

----

A few observations.

1. I sent this to my unique pre Sept 28th kindles email address and it worked fine. However, I send this to a non-free email address and it doesn't show as a pending delivery to my Kindle classic. I also expect there is no way to access this on my classic.

2. The document shows up in "personal documents" in Kindle but it does NOT show up in the "Documents" folder on my Cloud Drive account. Which is a shame. I would have expected it would. But this means two things... 1 the 5GB for personal kindle documents is in addition to my free 5GB of storage on my Cloud Drive. But, this means if I buy more cloud drive space my Kindle personal document space won't get bigger. I was hoping it was similar to the MP3 stuff.

BOb