Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unhappy Seriously, Amazon? 33% more for the Kindle version?

Don't know where else to post this, but seriously? Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are $5-6 more on Kindle than as a hardcopy.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Shrugged...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fountainhe...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

First the Connelly book, now this? It's crazy...
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
This price was set by the publisher
There is your answer.

Mine, in cases like these, is eBay or the public library.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Penguin is the worst by far, they charge the most and the books are not proofread and are full of errors

Dune is 16.99
http://www.amazon.com/Dune-40th-Anni...3339085&sr=1-1
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Another example of the Penguin Group (under the imprint Plume) over-charging. It is this behaviour -- silly prices for books that have been in print for decades -- that inspires people to pirate.

Neither link works in Canada; but Atlas Shrugged is "available" for $17.79 at kobobooks.com in Canada. But the paperback edition of the ebook is $21.45 online at Chapters/Indigo and an astounding $32.50 in the bricks and mortar store. So ... the ebook is actually "a bargain".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Penguin is the worst by far, they charge the most and the books are not proofread and are full of errors

Dune is 16.99
http://www.amazon.com/Dune-40th-Anni...3339085&sr=1-1
Penguin really is the worst of the worst.

I posted a comparison of prices for the three books in a trilogy by Sharon Kay Penman yesterday that really highlights crazy prices and the discrepancy between Penguin and, in that case, Macmillan.

I'll just paste it here too, since it's so relevant to the OP's question:

When Christ and His Saints Slept

First published
April 1995

Hardcover - $9.91
Paperback - $10.88
Kindle Edition: $11.99 (Came out last April, but was taken down until January.)

(Macmillan Published)

Time and Chance

First published
February 2002

Hardcover - $8.69
Paperback - $10.88
Kindle Edition - $19.99 (Came over 2 years ago, taken down until a couple months ago.)

(Penguin Publishing)

Devil's Brood

First Published
October 2008

Hardcover - $11.58
Paperback - $10.88
Kindle Edition - $19.99 (Came out over 2 years ago, and price still hasn't dropped, despite requests to publisher.)

(Penguin Publishing)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
They are trying to drive the demand through print. Why show the author that he or she can make a killing by selling in e-book format. That would defeat the big publisher's purpose. The problem is bootleggers will have a feast.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Crazy, indeed. But as others have pointed out, it is not Amazon that should be asked your question.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Don't know where else to post this, but seriously? Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are $5-6 more on Kindle than as a hardcopy.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Shrugged...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fountainhe...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

All that Amazon have done is reduced the price of the hardback. Are you objecting to this?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have some standards for electronic book prices:

1) Price may not exceed $9
2) Electronic book may not be => the dead wood book price
3) The lower the price the more likely I am to buy.

in your case would never buy the electronic book, costs too much I would preferr the bootleggers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All that Amazon have done is reduced the price of the hardback. Are you objecting to this?
I object to penguin charging 16.99 for a book that was released more then 5 years ago, is poorly scanned full of errors, not proofread etc... One book from penguin I bought was such a poor scan it still had the page numbers pricing 5$ more then the competition for a inferior product I object to. For 20.99 (the fountainhead) they could at least proofread before they release it.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Congratulations, DJulian. You're the 50,000th poster to complain about prices.

My advice, don't buy the book. That's what I do if I think the price is unreasonable.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
You do realize that Ayn Rand is the queen of radical capitalism, right? I'm pretty sure she'd say that "if you don't like the price, then go suck an egg, you un-American commie nihilist." Or something like that.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
You do realize that Ayn Rand is the queen of radical capitalism, right? I'm pretty sure she'd say that "if you don't like the price, then go suck an egg, you un-American commie nihilist." Or something like that.
Something very close to that, I'm sure.

I think there's something to the idea that people should vote with their wallets, but I understand the frustration. I think the publishers should feel more pressure over this than what they're getting. How best to accomplish that is another question. I think a tagging or forum campaign are the best ways to draw attention to the issue. The 9.99 boycott tag got a lot of attention to the issue in the past.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have some standards for electronic book prices:

1) Price may not exceed $9
2) Electronic book may not be => the dead wood book price
3) The lower the price the more likely I am to buy.

in your case would never buy the electronic book, costs too much I would preferr the bootleggers.
My criteria are similar. I will go above $9 for an ebook for a reference book, but $9-10 is about my limit for an ebook and only then for a brand new book by a favorite author.

I expect backlist books to be less than that. And yes, a low price makes me more willing to buy. And a good way to hook me is to make the first book in your trilogy free. Then if it is good enough, I will buy the rest.

Truthfully, I think all relatively unknown authors should put one or two of their better ebooks out for free so we can try them. I found many great new authors at Smashwords and Baen Books that way.

I don't bother with bootleg ebooks though. If the price is too high, there are many other great books out there for better prices.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

I think Ayn Rand would be against agency pricing