Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
A Kindle Reader's Visit to the Sony Store

While I've been contemplating an eBook reader for awhile, I didn't know much about the market until purchasing my Kindle. The pricing of eBooks, need to connect to a PC and lack of built in light were my biggest reasons for not wanting to make the investment. Amazon's pricing/content and wireless eliminated 2/3 of my concerns and learning that backlighting wasn't possible with eInk, I jumped on the Kindle bandwagon and have loved it.

But having learned a lot since then, I wonder if I would've chosen differently had I known more (thanks to this site and my own usage).

So with that in mind, I walked into the Sony store where a salesperson was working with another customer looking at the PRS-700. (He left saying "I think I'm going to stick with my older Sony as its a perfectly fine reader and I don't need the latest things like a touchscreen for its cool factor".)

Meanwhile, I was looking at the PRS-505. Holding it in my hand, I could see why people knock the Kindle's form factor. The Sony reader is definitely trim and lighter. It took me awhile getting used to the smaller page turning keys and wondered if I would miss the ability to hold a reader in my left hand (which I do when eating or sometimes at night). But I loved the whiter background and contrast..not to mention that Sony supports secure PDFs (my biggest gripe about the Kindle).

The salesgirl turned to me and I asked about the PRS-700. Surprisingly, she had very little good to say about it while raving about the PRS-505. In fact she said "The 700 is really geared towards people, like students, who want to annotate their books. If you just want to read books, the 505 is a much better reader". I asked about the built-in light and she turned it on for me to see but said "For night reading, a clip on light is much better for your eyes". She ended by saying "I love my 505 and since I only use it to read, I prefer it over the 700".

If Sony's "new" store had improved content availability and pricing, I have to admit that I would've been very tempted to buy the 505 now that it has a cover with a built in lightwedge-type light. In fact, it did briefly cross my mind that I wanted one. However, with Amazon's content, pricing, whispernet convenience and the desire to share books again with my mom (who is getting a Kindle for Christmas), I'm happy with my Kindle decision and will just stick with that for now.

Last edited by Boston; 11-16-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
But I loved the whiter background and contrast..not to mention that Sony supports secure PDFs (my biggest gripe about the Kindle).
The Kindle and Sony 505 have the identical Vizplex screen. Although I have heard that they look at bit whiter when brand new. But, it was probably the bright lights in the store than gave you the impression that it was any brighter. Did you have your Kindle with you and view them side-by-side?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

You may be right as I didn't have the Kindle with me for a side-by-side comparison (my daughter said I had to leave it at home if I was going to the mall with her ).

I just spend so much time with my Kindle that I noticed a difference but it could've been the store lighting.

Another thought - Although the 3 font sizes on the 505 were fine for me (as opposed to 5 for the Kindle), I noticed tighter line spacing with the Sony, which was closer to that of a paper book, and wondered if that would make it harder to read for long periods as well.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:

It took me awhile getting used to the smaller page turning keys and wondered if I would miss the ability to hold a reader in my left hand (which I do when eating or sometimes at night).
The PSR-505 also has a page turn button at the lower left hand corner (it's that round thingy). It's what I use most of the time.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Ivoch
Enthusiast
Ivoch began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Quote:
But I loved the whiter background and contrast..not to mention that Sony supports secure PDFs (my biggest gripe about the Kindle).
The Kindle and Sony 505 have the identical Vizplex screen.
But not an identical/similar frame colour (apart from the silver sony).

That's a perfect example of why the darker frames are better in most cases, unless you really want the extra bling factor. And for some people the blue/red frames have more bling than the silver ones so that's open for interpretation too.
Ivoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Sony reader is definitely trim and lighter. It took me awhile getting used to the smaller page turning keys and wondered if I would miss the ability to hold a reader in my left hand (which I do when eating or sometimes at night).
Why couldn't you hold it in your left hand? The PRS-505 has page turning buttons on both sides.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And the red 505 is a fashion statement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoch View Post
But not an identical/similar frame colour (apart from the silver sony).
Ah... good point. The optical illusion as people have said the screen on the Blue Sony appears whiter than that on the silver one. The white frame of the Kindle probably makes the screen seem not as white, especially in contrast to the white frame.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why couldn't you hold it in your left hand? The PRS-505 has page turning buttons on both sides.
ahhh...didn't notice that. Again I really liked the 505 from a form factor perspective....if Sony had the content/pricing and ease of purchase that Amazon offered, I'd seriously be considering one.

Last edited by Boston; 11-16-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And the red 505 is a fashion statement.
and I need all the help I can get in that area Maybe I should buy a skin for my Kindle

I love my gadgets but focus on features specific to my use as opposed to following trends. I own a Cowon pmp and not an ipod

Last edited by Boston; 11-16-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
I have the black Silicone case for my kindle and my sister remarked that my Kindle was brighter than hers--until I took the case off. I will also be purchasing a skin so that may be a valid (as opposed to laughable) option for you.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Boston
Fanatic

Was actually laughing at the thought of me being a fashion statement

But it does seem the skin has a practical use...do they sell them in solid colors? (I've just seen the pretty patterned ones).
Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I usually hold the Reader in my left hand with the lower left corner in the middle of my palm, my fingers wrapped around the left edge, and my thumb on the face of the Reader. To turn the page, you either need to use your right hand to push the button on the right edge or you need to tightly curl your thumb down to reach and push the lower left button. The latter is likely to end up with a dropped Reader. Unfortunately, the buttons that the 500 had on the left edge that were very conveniently pushed with your left thumb have been moved to the right edge of the Reader where they are out of reach. Bottom line, the 500 was ergonomically superior to the 505, in my opinion.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #14
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I usually hold the Reader in my left hand with the lower left corner in the middle of my palm, my fingers wrapped around the left edge, and my thumb on the face of the Reader. To turn the page, you either need to use your right hand to push the button on the right edge or you need to tightly curl your thumb down to reach and push the lower left button. The latter is likely to end up with a dropped Reader. Unfortunately, the buttons that the 500 had on the left edge that were very conveniently pushed with your left thumb have been moved to the right edge of the Reader where they are out of reach. Bottom line, the 500 was ergonomically superior to the 505, in my opinion.
I must admit that when I am reading, I love the Kindle page turn keys...no matter how I hold it, I can turn pages with a simply lift of the finger. I'd like to be able to put it in sleep mode (or lock the keys) with one hand when getting up/down, but wouldn't want the keys themselves to change.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
obanta
obanta began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-500 and PRS-505; BlackBerry 8830
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Kindle and Sony 505 have the identical Vizplex screen.
From Sony's Specification page on the PRS-505
Display
Gray Scale : 8-Level Grey Scale

From Amazon's Kindle Page:
Display: 6" diagonal E-Ink® electronic paper display, 600 x 800 pixel resolution at 167 ppi, 4-level gray scale

If they are identical screens, why the disparity between the level of gray scale?

Cheers,
-- Oliver
obanta is offline   Reply With Quote