Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #61
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Thanks for writing this, it's really useful
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #62
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZed View Post
Just noting the 0.4.4 release (I forgot to update this thread for 0.4.3). E-reader mime type handling is working, and a bug involved with running this in CGI is fixed.
Zed,

I'm still having issues with broken mime detection in release 0.4.4.
Code:
WARNING: You don't seem to have a mime-info database.
The shared-mime-info package is available from
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fshared_2dmime_2dinfo
Use of uninitialized value in list assignment at script/ebook.pl line 66.
Any fix?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Just noting the 0.4.4 release (I forgot to update this thread for 0.4.3). E-reader mime type handling is working, and a bug involved with running this in CGI is fixed.
Do you handle the UTF-8 coding stuff in MobiPocket files discussed in another thread (problem with multiple bytes characters at record borders)? If your code is handling it I am thinking about using it for mobi2html in MobiPerl.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #64
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Zed,

I'm still having issues with broken mime detection in release 0.4.4.
Code:
WARNING: You don't seem to have a mime-info database.
The shared-mime-info package is available from
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fshared_2dmime_2dinfo
Use of uninitialized value in list assignment at script/ebook.pl line 66.
Any fix?
Not for broken mime-type detection itself; that's an issue with a different module entirely. However, your e-reader unpacks should now be showing up with the correct mime type, and the API itself allows you to override anything detected.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #65
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Do you handle the UTF-8 coding stuff in MobiPocket files discussed in another thread (problem with multiple bytes characters at record borders)? If your code is handling it I am thinking about using it for mobi2html in MobiPerl.
I'm not aware of any failures, but I haven't tested specifically for this issue. Can you link to the other thread, or provide access to a file that decodes incorrectly with other software so I can test it?
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #66
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not aware of any failures, but I haven't tested specifically for this issue. Can you link to the other thread, or provide access to a file that decodes incorrectly with other software so I can test it?
Most Feedbooks.com .mobi ebooks have this issue since they use UTF-8 encoding. Check this post for the beginning of the discussions regarding this issue. The solution is now documented in our wiki here .

I've included this fix in my Mobi2IMP, but still find the odd (poorly created?) UTF-8 ebooks that still don't find the exact filepos location for the <a href>'s anchor (<a name> or <a id>).

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-07-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #67
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I can't get this tool to work with ActivePerl. Is there any work around to get this to work... is there any way to package this as a stand alone application?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #68
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I can't get this tool to work with ActivePerl. Is there any work around to get this to work... is there any way to package this as a stand alone application?

=X=
I got it to work with ActiveState Perl on Windows using v5.8.8 after a long ordeal!

Does it fail on the perl Build.pl with a version error? (my solution was to edit Tools.pm and set version to 0.00 instead of 0.74 and then build it. Afterwards, I re-edited Tools.pm to set the version back to 0.74.

Oh, ya, I also needed some other .pm libs installed before I could get it to finish. Below is a list of the errors I received and the modules I had to install over and above what Zed specifies on CPAN:
Code:
D:\EBook-Tools-0.4.4>perl build.pl
Error evaling version line 'BEGIN { q#  Hide from _packages_inside()
    #; package Module::Build::ModuleInfo::_version;
    no strict;

local $VERSION;
    $VERSION=undef;
      $vsub = sub {
        use version 0.74; our $VERSION = qv("0.4.4");;
        $VERSION
      };
  }' in D:\EBook-Tools-0.4.4\lib\EBook\Tools.pm: version version
0.74 required--this is only version 0 at (eval 19) line 8
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 19) line 8, <GEN0> line 6.

failed to build version sub for D:\EBook-Tools-0.4.4\lib\EBook\Tools.pm at C:/Perl/site/lib/Module/Build/ModuleInfo.pm line 309, <GEN0> line 6.

======================================================================
In Tools.pm - changed to: use version 0.0; our $VERSION = qv("0.4.4");

D:\EBook-Tools-0.4.4>perl build.pl
Checking whether your kit is complete...
Looks good

Checking prerequisites...
 - ERROR: Config::IniFiles is not installed
 - ERROR: Bit::Vector is not installed
 - ERROR: version is not installed
 - ERROR: String::CRC32 is not installed
 - ERROR: Data::UUID is not installed
 - ERROR: File::Slurp is not installed

ERRORS/WARNINGS FOUND IN PREREQUISITES.  You may wish to install the versions
of the modules indicated above before proceeding with this installation

Creating new 'Build' script for 'EBook-Tools' version '0.4.4'

In Tools.pm - changed to: use version 0.74; our $VERSION = qv("0.4.4");
Hope it helps!

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-08-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #69
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Hope it helps!
Thank you, I'll give it a try when I get home.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #70
nrapallo

Quote:
Not for broken mime-type detection itself; that's an issue with a different module entirely. However, your e-reader unpacks should now be showing up with the correct mime type, and the API itself allows you to override anything detected.
My ereader unpack's mime detection still appears broken i.e. uses "text/html" instead of "text/x-oeb1-document" or "application/xhtml+xml".

I converted this ereader file, CIA_World_Factb-PalmReader.pdb and this is what I got:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE package PUBLIC "+//ISBN 0-9673008-1-9//DTD OEB 1.2 Package//EN" "http://openebook.org/dtds/oeb-1.2/oebpkg12.dtd">

<package unique-identifier="UUID" xmlns="http://openebook.org/namespaces/oeb-package/1.0/">
  <metadata>
    <dc-metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
      <dc:Identifier scheme="UUID" id="UUID">3C9B0719-6C62-1014-A78D-C24A0A15AF9A</dc:Identifier>
      <dc:Identifier scheme="ISBN">ISSN 1553-8133</dc:Identifier>
      <dc:Title>CIA World Factbook 2009</dc:Title>
      <dc:Publisher>Central Intelligence Agency</dc:Publisher>
      <dc:Language>en</dc:Language>
      <dc:Rights>© 2009 - The Factbook is in the public domain.</dc:Rights>
    </dc-metadata>
    <x-metadata>
      <output encoding="utf-8" content-type="text/x-oeb1-document"/>
    </x-metadata>
  </metadata>
  <manifest>
    <item media-type="text/html" href="CIA_World_Factb-PalmReader.html" id="text-main"/>
  </manifest>
  <spine>
    <itemref idref="text-main"/>
  </spine>
</package>
Aside: I noticed a slight issue with the <div style="text-align: center"> running on and not having a properly placed end (</div>) and making all the text afterwards centred. It happened on another large file conversion I tried so don't think it was encoded that way.
The <div> .. </div> pairs match in total numbers, just not closing the "center" properly sometimes. I think it happens when multiple <div> pairs are nested within each other.

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-09-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #71
karatchov
karatchov began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please, someone can post a simple guide how to get this tool to run in windows XP ?
I'm totaly new to perl, and I made some tries, but never got this working !

Thanks
karatchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #72
karatchov

After installing all the modules (some from the perl package manager, others by google search), I managed to get build.pl to run correctly
But, when I type ebook, or perl ebook.pl, in command line, I get this error:

Quote:
Can't locate File/BaseDir.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Perl/li
b .) at C:/Perl/site/lib/File/MimeInfo/Magic.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/site/lib/File/MimeInfo/Magic.pm lin
e 7.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/site/lib/EBook/Tools.pm line 143.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/site/lib/EBook/Tools.pm line 143.
Compilation failed in require at ebook.pl line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ebook.pl line 21.
I'm using the latest activeperl version 5.10.0.1004, any help will be appreciated
Old 04-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #73
karatchov

hello, it's me again, it seems that I had to install File-BaseDir module to bypass this error ...

Maybe you should add it in the dependencies list
Old 09-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #74
AZed
Connoisseur

The new job has taken up a lot more of my free time than I'd like, but development continues, very slowly. Version 0.4.6 should be showing up on CPAN and Debian Unstable shortly, and improves the dependencies list in the README, as well as flagging EReader HTML output as XHTML. EReader HTML output should also be slightly improved now as well.

Time permitting, my next plans are to try to build a better plugin infrastructure so someone can just drop an extra DRM-handling module into the system and have it work, and double-check on that potential problem with Unicode and boundaries in Mobipocket files that I still haven't had time to create a unit test for.

Also, ebook-tools is now a project on GitHub: http://github.com/AZed/ebook-tools

Feel free to use that to submit patches/branches to me.